• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Complacent in your walk with God.

Medrick

Complacent - according to Oxford Languages...Showing smug or uncritical satisfaction with oneself or one's achievements.
On Collonsdictionary. com....a person who is very pleased with themselves or feels that they do not need to do anything about a situation, even though the situation may be uncertain or dangerous.
I thought it meant doing a task repeatedly not caring whether the outcome was right or not. Slacking off.
How many of you are complacent?
Quite honestly people, this is the exact message that God has inspired me to come before you and tell you . . . That you ALL have become complacent! Complacent in how you live! Complacent in how you pray! Complacent in how you love! Complacent in how you view God, Jesus, His Word, your relationship with Him! Complacent! Complacent! Complacent!
Who the hell am I to accuse? I'm not. I'm just as guilty of being complacent in my walk with God as you and everyone else.
Now, these posts have been meant to, and will continue to, ask the questions that maybe no one else has, but need to be asked to get you to think about that question. If God Himself asked you these questions...how would you respond? I have had to face these questions along my walk with God, and some are tough to face, believe me. But in honesty they are important questions. More importantly are your answers to these questions, friends. For our answers are the truths about our relationship with God.
And so . . . complacent.
Someone pleased with themselves or a situation. Now, to me that sounds kind of self imposing. Like making a conscious decision that a situation is good enough. There's nothing more I can do, so it's good. God's got it.
What? Are we assuming now?
Well what about those situations that just happen? Not a conscious decision, but say, circumstances.
Say you're waiting for a stoplight to turn green and you get a text or call. You get the news that someone is in the hospital, please say a prayer for them and maybe stop by if able. At this point you're getting emotional, the light turns green, cars behind you are honking, you proceed to go and another car runs their red light and hits your car. Now you're in the middle of an accident, in the middle of an intersection, emotions are high, you were running late as it was, people are yelling. Police, ambulance, tow truck...
You've forgotten all about the person in the hospital and saying that prayer for them. And it's been over a week now.
Is that one situation, that one event, being complacent? Maybe not. We forget things in life. It happens, right? What about the rest of the week? Did you take time to pray or talk to God at all? Read a couple pages from your Bible? Listen to any inspirational music? Stop to consider the beauty of a sunrise? A sunset?
Or were you just too busy? Kids off to school, off to work, dishes, laundry, shopping, dinner, pick up kids, off to practice, afternoon meeting, working late, off to second job, kids sick, off to doctor's office, movie night, game night, poker night, bowling night . . . are you getting the picture here?
But God's not saying don't do these things. Come on. Those are your life. Kids, work, chores, entertainment. Just don't forget to include Him in these life situations. It is too easy to wake up in the morning and go through the entire day caught up in the days events and not once giving God a thought. Go through more than one day in this manner . . . you are becoming complacent.
"I haven't really prayed or talked to God in a few, but He knows I've been busy. He knows my needs and problems. He's got it under control. Oh wait, that's what I was going to do.", and it's not talk to God.
Complacent.
Whether you specifically set aside times of the day to pray, or you talk to Him like He's your best friend and you guys hang out and talk all day, don't get complacent in your relationship with God. Pray. Talk to Him. Ask the questions that You have for Him. He'll give you an answer in ways you'll know and understand. Just be specific in your question and have faith in Him.
One hard part about not being complacent is recognizing that you are or have been in the first place. And when I said...you ALL have become complacent...yes, exactly. All. Look, anyone might be able to resight scriptures all day long. Anyone might be able to resight biblical prayers at a moments notice. Anyone might go through the motions of for someone or something. But what about that Anyone? How is their relationship with God?
I know, I may be starting to cross a line here. But we are all human, children of God, capable of mistakes. We were told to keep each other accountable through God's Word. Would it really be right to lead or be led by a shepherd who is complacent in his field? Not truly keeping his heart in line with God to know which direction to teach his flock? Complacency can take root in every person. Believer. Non-believer. Man. Woman. Children. From a five year old who may not put his toys away, to the eighty year old who may not take their medication. From the child occupied with playing, to the president of a country. Janitors, retail workers, business professionals, doctors, nurses, lawyers, auto workers, priests, pastors, military members, computer programmers, etc., etc., can fall into a complacency pit.
If you don't believe that you can . . . maybe reread this post. Talk to God about it. Ask Him if you've been spending enough meaningful time with Him. About times that you felt that He was trying to get your attention, and you focused on something else.
Complacent... we're all guilty of it. He sees it. We have to be more aware of it.
At least that's . . . my thoughts on my walk.

Ebionite

Complacent... we're all guilty of it.

The presumption of innocence applies. The problem here is that Paul's doctrine of original sin draws from his misrepresentation of David as being dishonest when David was endorsed as a witness. JMO of course.

Medrick

The presumption of innocence applies. The problem here is that Paul's doctrine of original sin draws from his misrepresentation of David as being dishonest when David was endorsed as a witness. JMO of course.
An interesting point, however, can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure of your connection here, with being complacent.

Ebionite

An interesting point, however, can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure of your connection here, with being complacent.
To elaborate:

God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.
Romans 3:4

Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done [this] evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, [and] be clear when thou judgest.
Psalms 51:4

(To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.) Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
Psalms 51:1

And YHWH sent Nathan unto David. And he came unto him, and said unto him, There were two men in one city; the one rich, and the other poor.
The rich [man] had exceeding many flocks and herds:
But the poor [man] had nothing, save one little ewe lamb, which he had bought and nourished up: and it grew up together with him, and with his children; it did eat of his own meat, and drank of his own cup, and lay in his bosom, and was unto him as a daughter.
And there came a traveller unto the rich man, and he spared to take of his own flock and of his own herd, to dress for the wayfaring man that was come unto him; but took the poor man's lamb, and dressed it for the man that was come to him.
2 Samuel 12:1-4

The connection with complacency is that people as presumed to be innocent of it.