• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. Angela Puca

Tamino

Dr. Angela Puca - do you know her?
She's an Italian scholar working on Magic and contemporary paganism. I have been bingeing her podcast, got a lot of interesting info.
I like how she is very strictly scientific, but without the condescending attitude that some of the older scholars show towards paganism.

If you know her, what do you think about her work?
If not, who are your favorite scholars?

Tamino

I just listened to the interview she did with Dr. Larisa White about world druidry. Apparently she made a big study of druid practices around the world. @Quintessence you may have heard of it? Really interesting !

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Uh oh... this is someone I might need to watch. Might be a newer scholar in the space or, more likely, I've just lapsed a bit in keeping track of these things. When I first discovered contemporary Paganism I read just about every academic work I could get my hands on at the time. Dating myself a bit here, probably, but one of the works I read at that time was Dr. Susan Greenwood's "Magic, Witchcraft and the Otherworld: An Anthropology." I also read her "The Anthropology of Magic" and "The Nature of Magic" at some point. Considering some of the other self-study I did on the anthropological study of magic and religion was... less than kind about the practices, her works were a breath of fresh air. The blatant prejudice and ethnocentrism of early anthropologists is pretty awful by contemporary standards... haha.

Also, links please!

Tamino

Favorite quote from Dr. White:
"If I were to define druidry... Druidry is a path that focuses on building honorable, reciprocal relationships with nature. And not just with the idealization, or some mystical version of nature, but concrete - something like 89 or 90 % of druids spend time with their hands in the dirt. They work physically with the ecology, where they live..."