• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emergent Dualism

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I'm actually liking the emergent dualism view. Substance dualism has many of the same problems as materialism and immaterial monism, it just cant explain the whole picture. I think emergent dualism might. It explains why the mind and body effect (affect???) each other, not just one way or the other. It allows for an external objective world as well as an internal one, without reducing the mind to matter. It eliminates the need to explain why we are here at all, why we need a body/brain. And the gift of Set itself can be seen as the mechanism that let's something immaterial and unnatural grow out of the material and natural.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I'm actually liking the emergent dualism view. Substance dualism has many of the same problems as materialism and immaterial monism, it just cant explain the whole picture. I think emergent dualism might. It explains why the mind and body effect (affect???) each other, not just one way or the other. It allows for an external objective world as well as an internal one, without reducing the mind to matter. It eliminates the need to explain why we are here at all, why we need a body/brain. And the gift of Set itself can be seen as the mechanism that let's something immaterial and unnatural grow out of the material and natural.

I accept the idea of emergent dualism. It's another way of understanding the effects of the Gift of Set and Xeper on the human condition over millions of years of psyche-centric evolution. Set planted or enshrined within us the seed, the ability and desire to grow, to learn, to understand, and evolve in mind and being. We, the human race, did the Work; we raised ourselves from the primordial abyss and became transformed like Set in his Form of Khepera, the Self-Created One. And are at once child and father of the Universe.

Premium Member
I accept the idea of emergent dualism. It's another way of understanding the effects of the Gift of Set and Xeper on the human condition over millions of years of psyche-centric evolution. Set planted or enshrined within us the seed, the ability and desire to grow, to learn, to understand, and evolve in mind and being. We, the human race, did the Work; we raised ourselves from the primordial abyss and became transformed like Set in his Form of Khepera, the Self-Created One. And are at once child and father of the Universe.

And it seems to address all the issues that were raised in the recent mind-body threads, with the exception of mechanism. Luckily as Setians the contradictory nature of mind emerging from matter has a clear mechanism.

Premium Member
It seems paradoxical to me that a biological brain could produce an unnatural mind through it's own mechanisms. But I can accept a modified version of the theory:

What might occur is that the brain generates the correct type of energy field or nexus to make sustained interaction between the SU and OU possible. Perhaps Set perceives these fields and grants the Gift of Consciousness when they are strong enough. If that is the case, then possibly a larger (human) brain would be required to maintain a suitable field.

This is all conjecture, of course.

It's certainly interesting to note that higher consciousness only begins to arise between ages 7 and 12. The this higher consciousness must constantly be maintained and expanded through both education and life. Of course our Christian culture fails at this, and most people simply latch onto a stronger conscious being. There's also the fact that the species as a whole existed a good 100,000 years before the upper paleolithic revolution, where we first have any real consistent evidence of higher consciousness in humans.

Premium Member
Platonism would say that the second the physical/conscious human comes into being, a perfect and immaterial Form of them comes into being as well. Perhaps the mind or Ba does indeed rise from the body/khat, but the Ba is capable of aligning itself with the Form it Ka. Doing so would definitionally make the mind more immaterial as the Forms are immaterial.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Platonism would say that the second the physical/conscious human comes into being, a perfect and immaterial Form of them comes into being as well. Perhaps the mind or Ba does indeed rise from the body/khat, but the Ba is capable of aligning itself with the Form it Ka. Doing so would definitionally make the mind more immaterial as the Forms are immaterial.

As I understand it, the Egyptian Ba is the Soul and the Ka is ones Magickal Double, a reflection of the Higher Self made manifest while Working the Will to Magick, for instance, during ritual workings.

Last edited:

VioletVortex

I believe that the soul (which is, to me, synonymous with the psyche or greater mind) is a creation that has come about somehow through the physical structure of the mind. Either it is created and constantly built upon all through life, or it is a continuous flow of energy eminating from a certain point in the mind, like light from a lightbulb, the lightbulb probably being the pineal gland.

I think it would be a good idea if this thread were moved to or created again in the general LHP DIR, as it isn't a concept specific to Setianism. It's probably pretty consistent across the entire LHP.

Last edited:

Ahanit

In Egypt Mythologie Ba and Ka are both Souls.... Different parts of it... Ba is the Life Energy, which bounds the Parts together so that Material existance, it is mortal can Work. Ka is the unaware Part, the higher Self that Part who is immortal. The Ka is no Double it is all wisdom knowledge Abilities we collect through different lifes.

Premium Member
In Egypt Mythologie Ba and Ka are both Souls.... Different parts of it... Ba is the Life Energy, which bounds the Parts together so that Material existance, it is mortal can Work. Ka is the unaware Part, the higher Self that Part who is immortal. The Ka is no Double it is all wisdom knowledge Abilities we collect through different lifes.

I understands the Ba as the self/psyche/soul, and the Ka as the perfect Form of the individual, existing solely in the world of Forms.

Premium Member
I believe that the soul (which is, to me, synonymous with the psyche or greater mind) is a creation that has come about somehow through the physical structure of the mind. Either it is created and constantly built upon all through life, or it is a continuous flow of energy eliminating from a certain point in the mind, like light from a lightbulb, the lightbulb probably being the pineal gland.

I think it would be a good idea if this thread were moved to or created again in the general LHP DIR, as it isn't a concept specific to Setianism. It's probably pretty consistent across the entire LHP.

Thanks for sharing. It could probably be moved to the general debates in fact, and perhaps I will make a thread. But here I was specifically interested in the idea of emergent dualism as it relates to Setianism.