• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emotional/Social Pain

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Me too... Especially with those I am close with. Although with the average person it's pretty strong too. I avoid most genres of "horror" movies (not books), for that reason.

Yeah, same. I can't do it.

I can't do the news any more for the same reason.

I've had to give up horror movies, scary TV shows, most movies and TV shows, fictional and non-fictional books, and the news. I can tolerate social media to a limit. I gave up Facebook altogether. I'm on X and Instagram, but at a limited capacity. I have to step away from this forum sometimes too. It can be overwhelming for me. I can tune out emotions for the most part when I'm out in public. I had to learn how, or else I wouldn't be able to leave my house.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Same..I avoid it as best I can, minus what I actively seek out/have interest in.

I shouldn't participate in political debates, but I do sometimes. I feel like I should do the same regarding religious debates. However, it is therapeutic for me to talk about my past experiences with Christianity. In a way, I feel like I'm helping others who are going through or have been through similar trauma, just as I help other former Christians in my survivors of abuse support group. Now that is where I really have to focus on controlling my empathic ability.

We Never Know

No Slack
"When people feel emotional pain, the same areas of the brain get activated as when people feel physical pain: the anterior insula and the anterior cingulate cortex."

"Although the brain does not process emotional pain and physical pain identically, research on neural pathways suggests there is substantial overlap between the experience of physical and social pain. The cascading events that occur and regions activated in our brains - and therefore our reactions to the acute pain - appear to be similar.."

Now, I would also extend this further and say that chronic pain is also felt similarly and not just acute pain. This seems like a common sense extension to me. And I think the first article actually touched on this.

So, why does it seem that societally we seem so dismissive of people's mental/emotional pains?

"It's not that bad.."

"Just wait, time heals.."

Etc.

We seem to think that, if we can't see it, it's not that bad. Even though we all feel these things through the same processes.
"We seem to think that, if we can't see it, it's not that bad. Even though we all feel these things through the same processes"

Exatly! Now apply that to all the **** your give people here. You cant see it but they feel it.
"

We Never Know

No Slack
Yup. And you never know ;) how profoundly your words can affect someone on the internet... for the positive or the negative.
"how profoundly your words can affect someone on the internet."

I do have a very good ideal. Sadly many here don't and run rampant with their BS.
And since you are a staff member, its seems RF rules have became relaxed or have been overlooked because there seems to be many things that used to be a violation that seem to now occur daily(personal attacks, name calling, degrading, etc) with no repercussion.
But I am just a bystander on the sidelines.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I do have a very good ideal. Sadly many here don't and run rampant with their BS.
And since you are a staff member, its seems RF rules have became relaxed or have been overlooked because there seems to be many things that used to be a violation that seem to now occur daily(personal attacks, name calling, degrading, etc) with no repercussion.
Folks gotta report it.

Its something we staff really can't stress enough.

We don't get everywhere. We can't see every post. If something seems like a problem, report it so we can help. If we don't know its there, we can't fix it.

We Never Know

No Slack
Folks gotta report it.

Its something we staff really can't stress enough.

We don't get everywhere. We can't see every post. If something seems like a problem, report it so we can help. If we don't know its there, we can't fix it.
If I reported all I see, you all would require overtime. But I am not a snitch.
I respect what youns do but its not my job.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
If I reported all I see, you all would require overtime. But I am not a snitch.
I respect what youns do but its not my job.
We're not required to do anything, really... we're all volunteers.

It certainly isn't your job to report things, but keeping the place civil takes a group effort. What we get out will be what we(both members and staff) put in.

We Never Know

No Slack
We're not required to do anything, really... we're all volunteers.

It certainly isn't your job to report things, but keeping the place civil takes a group effort. What we get out will be what we(both members and staff) put in.
George I don't know you any more than I know a person from Timbuktu. But we have had a few conversations and from those I respect you.
I don't know what you have to deal with here and I don't want to know. But cheers to you and the other staff that endure all the BS.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
"We seem to think that, if we can't see it, it's not that bad. Even though we all feel these things through the same processes"

Exatly! Now apply that to all the **** your give people here. You cant see it but they feel it.
"
I did and do. Thanks.

I'm more than capable of self-reflection and growth.

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

I agree with you, and I think that proselytizing and preaching Christianity are also getting out of hand. But, of course, this is just my observation.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
True, which is why people should just be taken at face value until they prove otherwise imo. I'm in no place to judge.

Depends on context though. Part of my job involves deciding who from my team does what work, including myself. I can't afford to believe the squeakiest hinge is actually the one needing the oil.