• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home-Made Electrolyte Powder

Brickjectivity

Brick Block
Staff member
Premium Member
For a few months, now, I have been using Gatorade to help me prevent cramps. Lately I've noticed that it contains too much sugar for me, and alternatives usually have either sugar or artificial flavors. On instructibles com I found a recipe to make me own, and it follows the bottle ingredients found on other electrolytes. I'll share the link and also show you the exact formula I made for myself.

Code:
https://www.instructables.com/AFFORDABLE-and-EASY-Electrolyte-Powder/

My formulation:

10 Calcium, Magnesium & Zinc w/D3 from nature valley. I break these up with clean pliers and try to pull out as much of the shells as possible. I clean the plier jaws using vegetable oils and rubbing alcohol alternately, until I feel they are no longer contaminated with manufacturing oils. For this I use small pliers with very long beaks. You might have a mortar and pestle though, and that will work fine to break up the pills and get out the Calcium and other goodies. Actually the recipe would only call for 9 of these pills (each containing 1000mg Calcium), but I estimate some loss when removing the shells, and that's why I use 10 instead of 9. The shells aren't harmful, but I don't want them in my electrolyte.

266 ml of pharmaceutical grade Epsom salt. I use the Dr. Teal's with nothing extra the fragrance free version.
133 ml table salt (sodium chloride)
133 ml baking soda
133 ml French's No Salt, which is mostly Potassium Chloride.

Dissolve a little into water, and you have made your own sugarless electrolyte drink. When you use this, only use enough to cause a mild flavor. If it tastes like seawater you have used far too much and could get diarrhea as the epsom salt is a mild diuretic. Your drink should taste mild just like any other electrolyte drink.

An electrolyte drink without sugar is useful for your morning wakeup about an hour before eating or drinking. It gets your body energized and your gut ready. Its also great for use during workouts or when you are sweating a lot.