• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How far can I take my disbelief and still be Christian?

Gordon1972

Gordon the friendly heretic
Hi there
I am stuck between worlds. I do not believe in the bible in any sense other than it is an interesting collection of myths, stories and pseudo-history. And yet, I am also despised by hard-line atheists for reasons that are difficult to understand.

Is the idea of being an agnostic Christian offensive here? Am I allowed to take part in religious discussion with liberal Christians and discuss Christian origins in a way that might be challenging to some? For instance, mythicism is a valid theory given what I have discovered about New Testament origins - do we need a historical Jesus?

Are you ready to discuss these ideas, or am I pushing this too far?

What would Shelby Sponge say?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Hi there
I am stuck between worlds. I do not believe in the bible in any sense other than it is an interesting collection of myths, stories and pseudo-history. And yet, I am also despised by hard-line atheists for reasons that are difficult to understand.

Is the idea of being an agnostic Christian offensive here? Am I allowed to take part in religious discussion with liberal Christians and discuss Christian origins in a way that might be challenging to some? For instance, mythicism is a valid theory given what I have discovered about New Testament origins - do we need a historical Jesus?

Many claim to be Christian, not Muslim or Hindu, let's say, but don't believe what the Bible says. The world is filled with such people. They may even go to church regularly but don't know or believe what the Bible says about future life on earth and heaven.Thry don't know, care about or believe Revelation 21:1-5, which speaks of a future wonderful life.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Hi there

I don't think the idea of being an agnostic Christian would *offend* anyone (but you never know), but I'm fine with it. I'm not a mythicist, but I am an agnostic atheist who nonetheless sees value in the myth and symbolism of parts of the Bible. I know others on RF who would be happy to talk to you (they appear not to have seen this thread, though). Keep posting, and see what develops!

F1fan

Veteran Member
Hi there

You can be an atheist and live as a Christian. That is vastly better than being a Christian in name only.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Many claim to be Christian, not Muslim or Hindu, let's say, but don't believe what the Bible says. The world is filled with such people. They may even go to church regularly but don't know or believe what the Bible says about future life on earth and heaven.Thry don't know, care about or believe Revelation 21:1-5, which speaks of a future wonderful life.
It’s not what the Bible says, it’s how a person interprets it. The more literalist the interpretation the more inner conflict is created, along with the conflict with reason and knowledge. The more symbolic the interpretation the better a person can apply what it means and still live as a 21st century person.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Hi there

Yes of course, discussions like that go on all the time. You may need to defend your position from attacks by atheists and mainline Christians and even non mainline christiand however, but try not to take it personally.
The How far can I take my disbelief and still be a Christian?
reminds me of a Seinfeld episode in which Kramer convinced a car salesman to see how far they could go on empty before they actually ran out of fuel.
They ran out and Kramer got out and went home leaving the salesman there.

It sounds like you're certainly on your way out of fuel and may have run out already. There are certain beliefs Christians are supposed to have and it sounds like you don't really care about Christianity or even Jesus any more.
Who knows where you will end up.
There are people here who will encourage you with your mythicism. They have plenty of convincing material if you don't believe the Bible any more and don't care about Jesus.
All the best.
If you change your mind, you are always welcome back to Christianity, to Jesus, with arms open wide and a feast will be prepared for you with angels celebrating.
I hope there aren't too many bush fires in Gippsland this year, I'm in the Dandenongs and things seem to be heating up already.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
And yet, I am also despised by hard-line atheists for reasons that are difficult to understand.

I am an atheist, hard line? Quite probably as hard as it gets, through atheism and out the other side.

But i dont see how you believe you are despised. Atheists tend to be reasonable and tolerant, they may (will) challenge belief in god but it's very unlikely that they despise the person.

There are all levels of religion here and non religious too. Feel free to discuss what you want.

When the discussion gets to this level you know you've hir a nerve.
@giphy (2).gif

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Hi there

There are good morals in many of the teachings of Jesus (though clearly not all). I would say as long as you were following at least the good teachings of Jesus that you could claim to be a Christian. That is far better than those that do not follow the good teachings of Christians but still claim to believe the whole Bible.