• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If You Are in Your Mid-50s or Older, What Health Advice Would You Have for Someone in Their 20s or 30s?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Huh? It's just a natural means of getting rid of excess gas. Nothing bad about it.

"Though it may be unpleasant for you and those around you, burping is a completely natural way to get rid of air swallowed during eating and drinking. It’s also known as belching or eructation."
- How to Stop Burping: 8 tips and Prevention
I seem to be heading down a deep rabbit hole here, my first post was meant to be humorous.

Viker

Häxan
Don't start or quit smoking now.
Eat healthy.
Drink less.
Find constructive hobbies, especially ones that keep your mind sharp and body in shape.
Listen to medical advice, not all is perfect but it's still better than ignoring it.

Viker

Häxan
Stay away from carbonated drinks. The phosphorus will destroy your bones. At 55 I was told I had the bones of King Tut - after a simple fall that broke 7 ribs and collapsed a lung. Since I hated coffee and tea, all my caffeine came from sodas.
Yes. That.

Firenze

Premium Member
That sounds horrible. I hope you have since made a full recovery.

For how long did you consume carbonated drinks, and how often?
In my family we were largely denied chocolate and soda. So when I entered the military and had my own money - I couldn't wait to visit that dam soda machine 10 yards down the hall - an average of 6 times a day - which largely continued for 35 years. And I still struggle with a chocolate addiction.

In no expert in child development, but there may be an argument here for parents choosing 'moderation in all things' as opposed to creating a desire for something by forbidding it.

FYI - these broken ribs were a complete mystery to every physician I saw. As this was a workman's comp case, it was actually the case physician that related to me...... "Ya know, these injuries from a simple fall to the ground from 3 feet make no sense. You need to leave this hearing and go to your PCP for a bone scan." That's where it was determined that at 55, and a male, and with no calcium deficiency - I had the worst osteoporosis they had ever seen. I got the joy of injecting myself every day for 2 years by a live hormone to bring my bone density back to normal.

And I was the one that had to figure out the carbonation connection - not any of the doctors. My girlfriend is constantly reminding me - "You have to do your own due diligence. Doctors misdiagnose anywhere from 10 to 60% of the time."

Yikes.....

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
In no expert in child development, but there may be an argument here for parents choosing 'moderation in all things' as opposed to creating a desire for something by forbidding it.
Im in college for child education. We have talked about this topic in my child developmental classes tho there's a complete course on it i havent yet taken that i will for my degree and im still in school but it really depends on what it is. Teaching good eating habits is a must when young according to what i have learned. Giving a variety of food while they are young and explaining the importance and keeping to those same rules as the adult too ( ie dont drink 15 cups of soda a day in front of your kid if your kid isnt allowed to) is important thing in teaching kids healthy habits. Obviously some chocolate here and there maybe some soda at a party is good. The biggest thing is exposing the children as much to healthy habits that you yourself abide by at least according to what ive learned so far. But certain things allowing moderation is more harmful. I know you only talking about food here but it's recommended to never expose your kids to drugs or alcohol or smoking in order to remove the temptation and let them experiment in a safe environment. Exposure to drugs and alcholol at all in childhood increases the risks of substance abuse disorder in adulthood. What you supposed to do instead is honestly tell the kids about the harms it can cause. Dont make it a forbidden topic to talk about. Teach them how dangerous it can be to drink and use drugs and be sure to model how to not allow other to pressure you into something you dont want to do. If they have questions answer them. Tell them what they want to know.

Its similar from what i gathered with nutrition and healthy eating. Tell the kids what you can about eating healthy. Explain the dangers of eating certain foods in excess. Get them involved into cooking let them experiment a bit so they know how to cook healthy foods. Model the behavior you want to see. Explain rules you may have surrounding food rules you yourself follow like for example the reason we drink soda once a month instead of all the time is because it's bad for your teeth and can cause x problems.

I know all this is off topic and im only 21years old. I also have yet to finish my degree so there's probably more to learn on the topic especially since they have a whole class dedicated solely to health and nutruition that I have yet to take as part of my degree. Plus it's an evolving field im sure. But I figured id share what I know there as it's very interesting and is part of the field im studying

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, take care of your teeth. (Bad teeth have been linked to heart disease and other nasty stuff.)
True dat. I mentioned that particularly
because any problems developed early
will follow one for life. Dentists also
watch for cancer in one's mouth.