• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is a carbon atom in coal different from a carbon atom in a human body?

Is a carbon atom in coal different from a carbon atom in a human body?

• Yes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Niatero

*banned*
Huh? Carbon is an element containing six protons. It's location is irrelevant.
I'm thinking that the field equations are different, at least for the electrons. I'm not sure about the nucleus. Also, and this might be a different way of saying the same thing, their freedom of movement and their possibilities in life (figuratively speaking) are different.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I voted yes.
The identity an an atom is determined by the number of protons and neutrons it has, and not on its electronic configuration (which is described by the state of the atom: ground state, excited state, ionic state etc.) So it C atom only, but of course different C atoms are at different states...which is true even within a single piece of coal.

Niatero

*banned*
This is fascinating and enlightening for me, about how people think sometimes. about how my ways of thinking can be different from other people's sometimes.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I voted "no". Some of the atoms are different, as coal is almost devoid of carbon 14, but overall they are the same.
The atoms are also the same in coal, graphite, graphene, bucky balls and diamond. The lattice structure is different, not the atoms.

^^^THIS^^^

Saved me saying it,