• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It Just Wordplay?

ChieftheCef

Sorry for jumping in on that one, but I have to answer it myself too. To some degree for my own sanity. :)

The truth is... to me, personally, I can't say either way. It's somehow both. Consciousness is somehow a fundamental potential in the universe, if not realized, it at least have to exist as a possibility, just as the potential for stars existed in the singularity before big bang (this I've heard from scientists, not my idea at all). But at the same time, consciousness do arise from the interaction of particles, cells in the brain. And the really curious thing is that somehow, consciousness arises from the information processing rather than the particles, cells, chemicals, etc themselves. It's not a "mind cell" that gives us a mind. It's not a "consciousness atom" that gives us consciousness. It's something that is realized in the holistic interaction, not the single sub-processes. It's a swarm emergent property, which is actually a bit mysterious. A bunch of cells sending signals to each other, and... we're aware.
Do you see consciousness as a fundamental property or as an emergent property of physical interactions?
What about consciousness being fundamental to spacetime and matter and/or energy sort of picking up that signal and filtering through it's own biological mechanisms?

Spacetime is a good candidate for god as it has many of the featured attributes of god and is a solution to the great chain of everything (what came before the first cause? Nothingness, spacetime). Besides this nothing, spacetime, is said to have created universes, everything.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
What about consciousness being fundamental to spacetime and matter and/or energy sort of picking up that signal and filtering through it's own biological mechanisms?

Spacetime is a good candidate for god as it has many of the featured attributes of god and is a solution to the great chain of everything (what came before the first cause? Nothingness, spacetime). Besides this nothing, spacetime, is said to have created universes, everything.
Interesting, but I am persuaded by the Advaita Vedanta nondual (God and creation are not-two) Hindu school.

Consciousness is fundamental and matter/energy/space-time are derivatives of Consciousness. The universe is then a play/drama of Consciousness/God/Brahman.

ChieftheCef

Interesting, but I am persuaded by the Advaita Vedanta nondual (God and creation are not-two) Hindu school.

Consciousness is fundamental and matter/energy/space-time are derivatives of Consciousness. The universe is then a play/drama of Consciousness/God/Brahman.
I believe it is, see what is great and terrible Brahama to you is Nothing, spacetime to me. Spacetime DID create everything in an ongoing, possibly, I believe, infinite series of big bangs. These spew out light matter and energy and dark. When they come together they annihilate, that is Shiva, and they explode apart and gravity, a feature (power, you might think) of spacetime, Father Nothing, Brahma, the universal consciousness, the Greatest Grandpa. This gravity clumps together vast clouds of gases of all kinds of atoms and eventually makes suns and planets, which eventually due to the sun staying together due to gravity, alters life's DNA in order to grow us! Our rewards for our purpose being allowed by hands, upright posture, and brains, an inclination to help all beings, the ability to receive these rewards, such as herbs, spices, foods, oils, plant vegetation and even cell phones. This is given our purpose, to reap these rewards, including by stewardship of planets and solar systems, NOT galaxies (don't be a bad alien, yes we are aliens) and help each other, including other beasts, planets, bacteria and aliens of the similar kind. That is why we get such a boost in happiness when we positively interact with animals and people! This is why animals cannot really eat herbs, they're not nutritious enough to be worth it, but to us, who specialize they are and through globalism, we have ascertained our reward for being generally positive! The dharma I teach is universal. It is three fold

1. Think on what and who you want to be. Figure out who you can be that person. Do that, and ask yourself whether you should do what you do to be that person.

2. Be positive within and without, indeed shine like the sun. Be conscious of what you eat and do balancing out what bad you do with good, like pushups for cookies, fruits for fast food, keeping everything bad in that perfect 1/7ths, 1/28ths, 1/43rd ratio with bad stuff not done very often. Exercise moderately for 30 minutes a day, meditate each day. For each, 1, 2 , and 3, climb big stairs with small steps. Do as much as you can, stop for a bit, some as much as you can later. Gradually increase it. Think positive thoughts, don't compare yourself to others as if you're worse than them. Realize you get used to things. So your Earthly pleasures must be a variety if you can and you must sparse them out in your week, month, year etc and take them in. Be thankful for them occasionally, vividly reexperiencing what you are being thankful for.

3. Do not judge until you have observed or have heard sufficient argument to believe, and believe only because of those two. Question everything from all sides, vigorously. Change your mind according to knew evidence.

Nature is nondual, Spacetime is just a part of Nature.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I believe it is, see what is great and terrible Brahama to you is Nothing, spacetime to me.
In nondual Hindu tradition Brahman is not a great and terrible God but rather pure Consciousness described as sat-cit-ananda (being-awareness-bliss).

What is Consciousness in your view? How/why does Nothing. spacetime have Consciousness? Why do we have consciousness?