• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Jewish Futures" and "Jews in Space"

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
A new science-fiction anthology, Jewish Futures: Science Fiction from the World's Oldest Diaspora, has just been released this week. I'm a science fiction fan and I've already added this book to my "to read" pile of books!

71OMxDAj0WL.jpg

"The first Jewish diaspora began nearly three thousand years ago. Those three millennia have informed a rich story-telling tradition that will only continue to expand in the coming centuries. This volume-the literary heir to the Wandering Stars anthologies of the 1970s and '80s (and leading off with a very personal essay by Jack Dann, who edited those books)-extrapolates Jews and Judaism into a wide future. Sometimes moody, sometimes laugh-out-loud funny, Publishers Weekly says these '16 appealing stories extrapolating Jewish themes into near- and far-future settings.... open diverse and challenging vistas for sci-fi fans-Jewish and gentile alike.'

"Between these covers, you'll find tales of the last Jew, Jewish space lasers, and the remarkable connection between brisket and zombies. You'll experience the breath-taking experiences of climbing Mt. Everest while religious, and of competing in futuristic sporting combinations in the Olympics. You'll explore the questions of just what will we do when the artificial intelligences controlling our homes become more religious than we? Or when aliens seek to convert to Judaism, and then try to return to an abandoned Jerusalem on a deserted Earth?"

Quoted from Jewish Futures: Science Fiction from the World's Oldest Diaspora

I don't think it's an overstatement to say that Jewish writers can probably be credited with having created the science-fiction genre in American literature.
Although I'm willing to debate this with anyone here who is interested. :cool:

"The modern genre of science fiction owes much of its existence to Jewish writers. The term itself was coined by Hugo Gernsback (originally: Gernsbacher), a Jewish immigrant to the United States from Luxembourg. He founded the magazine Amazing Stories in 1926, and launched the genre as we know it today. And in 1934, Gernsback created the Science Fiction League, creating chapters of young fans in cities around the United States and ushering in the modern era of fandom... Jewish writers flocked to this new literature. The most prominent was Isaac Asimov..."

Quoted from: Jews in Space: On the Unsung History of Jewish Writers and the Birth of Science Fiction

rosends

Interesting -- I may pick this up and read it! Ironically, our Sci Fi class is taught by a non-Jewish teacher. This collection might also get some of the Judaic studies teachers into the discussion of literature and Judaism! Thanks!

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I don't think it's an overstatement to say that Jewish writers can probably be credited with having created the science-fiction genre in American literature.
Although I'm willing to debate this with anyone here who is interested.
I would never think of debating you. Instead, let me simply applaud the wisdom shown in constraining the claim to "American literature." Otherwise one might have to raise the specter of H. G. Wells (with a shout out to Mary Shelly). :)