• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

marketing a book: any ideas?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I have written a book but RF rules don't allow me to mention any details here as advertising things on RF is strictly forbidden

And in the eyes of the staff mentioning details would amount to advertising

Which is fair enough...

It has been published

I don’t stand to make any money from it

The cake is small and my slice is puny

But I’m not in it for the money

I have started to look into ways to promote it but don’t really know where to begin

I was wondering, does anyone have any ideas?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I have written a book but RF rules don't allow me to mention any details here as advertising things on RF is strictly forbidden

Which is fair enough...

It has been published

I have started to look into ways to promote it but don’t really know where to begin

I’m no expert but I’ve thought about this a little before. I take it you went the self publishing route?

Perhaps Facebook and Reddit could be a good start. Who is your target audience? Think about where they would likely be gathered.

Tell friends and family about it, give out free copies to entrusted people. Maybe pay for some advertising.

That’s all I’ve got. There must be better ideas out there.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I’m no expert but I’ve thought about this a little before. I take it you went the self publishing route?

Perhaps Facebook and Reddit could be a good start. Who is your target audience? Think about where they would likely be gathered.

Tell friends and family about it, give out free copies to entrusted people. Maybe pay for some advertising.

That’s all I’ve got. There must be better ideas out there.
I'd give you a "useful" rating but those have been abolished :(

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
In addition to what @The Sum of Awe suggested about giving out free copies to entrusted people, ask them to write reviews of your book for GoodReads.com. Also, consider marketing your book through Amazon. Here's a link that provides information on how to do this: How to Sell Books on Amazon in 2023: Step-by-Step Guide

You may also want to donate a copy of your book to your local public library. If your book is non-fiction and you're fairly expert in the subject matter covered in your book, you might also consider offering your public library a free talk on the subject. Many libraries allow authors to sell autographed copies of their book after their talk, in lieu of a speaker's fee.

Cheers and good luck!

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
In addition to what @The Sum of Awe suggested about giving out free copies to entrusted people, ask them to write reviews of your book for GoodReads.com. Also, consider marketing your book through Amazon. Here's a link that provides information on how to do this: How to Sell Books on Amazon in 2023: Step-by-Step Guide

You may also want to donate a copy of your book to your local public library. If your book is non-fiction and you're fairly expert in the subject matter covered in your book, you might also consider offering your public library a free talk on the subject. Many libraries allow authors to sell autographed copies of their book after their talk, in lieu of a speaker's fee.

Cheers and good luck!
Yes, good idea, I should get in touch with my local library! :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Post short articles about your book on Social media such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Snapchat, and forums dealing specifically with the subject.
At least one per day or two on each platform to keep interest high.
If possible in areas dealing with your subject matter. End the article with a link to the book.

Good luck.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Post short articles about your book on Social media such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Snapchat, and forums dealing specifically with the subject.
At least one per day or two on each platform to keep interest high.
If possible in areas dealing with your subject matter. End the article with a link to the book.

Good luck.

There are apps that can do the drudge work for you, you just write the articles tell the apps when to post and let it loose.

I don't now what they are called though a friend uses one he got off Google play. If he turns up online I'll ask him the name of what he uses

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
There are apps that can do the drudge work for you, you just write the articles tell the apps when to post and let it loose.

I don't now what they are called though a friend uses one he got off Google play. If he turns up online I'll ask him the name of what he uses
Thanks, that's very kind of you :)

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

Which is fair enough...

It has been published

Amazon KDP and something for Barnes & Noble; I believe you can get your book on them free they just take a cut.

I like Bookbaby still.