• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My 2023

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Inflation yes. Mayo is $5-%6 a jar in many places. But inflation is world wide. Even at a goal of 2% a year it adds up quickly. For example, EU vs US

ecb.ebbox202208_01.en_img0.png
Even the 'good stuff' isn't that high here(at reasonable cost stores), but I suppose its been awhile since I bought mayo; I don't like it. Its between 3-6 here, for the most part.

Cat food doubled in price. Dog food didn't.

The prices of other things vary; they've gone up a small amount in some places, but have gone up significantly at some grocers. I hear the Midwest has less inflation than some places(because it stinks here).

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
My 2023 was ok up until Thanksgiving.... then a major derailment to my thoughts and plans for the future, and now things are simply without direction or purpose.... oh well......
I thought you were going to Maine?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The prices of other things vary; they've gone up a small amount in some places, but have gone up significantly at some grocers. I hear the Midwest has less inflation than some places(because it stinks here).

Some things are cheaper in CA due to transportation costs from our farms being shorter. Some things more, gasoline, since we have had a smog problem.

By comparison for the UK:

During the observation period from 1960 to 2022, the average inflation rate was 5.2% per year. Overall, the price increase was 2,052.01%. An item that cost 100 pounds in 1960 costs 2,152.01 pounds at the beginning of 2023. For November 2023, the year-over-year inflation rate was 4.2%.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Some things are cheaper in CA due to transportation costs from our farms being shorter. Some things more, gasoline, since we have had a smog problem.

By comparison for the UK:

During the observation period from 1960 to 2022, the average inflation rate was 5.2% per year. Overall, the price increase was 2,052.01%. An item that cost 100 pounds in 1960 costs 2,152.01 pounds at the beginning of 2023. For November 2023, the year-over-year inflation rate was 4.2%.

Apart from television. My dad's first 17inch B/W TV cost more than a current 50inch smart TV.

A bit later, our first PCs cost over £2000 each, pretty basic stuff with VGA graphic and 10meg hard disks. The same today would be around £200, an all singing, all dancing, top of the range gamming or graphics PC would not cost much more than £2000.

Thinking about it, it probably applies to most electronic goods.

Oh and washing machines ;-)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Apart from television. My dad's first 17inch B/W TV cost more than a current 50inch smart TV.

A bit later, our first PCs cost over £2000 each, pretty basic stuff with VGA graphic and 10meg hard disks. The same today would be around £200, an all singing, all dancing, top of the range gamming or graphics PC would not cost much more than £2000.

Thinking about it, it probably applies to most electronic goods.

Oh and washing machines ;-)
Every computer I buy costs roughly the same in current dollars but is much cheaper in inflation-adjusted dollars. And of course does a much better job of delivering higher quality ads.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Used computers seem to be going up a lot. I could buy one for betvveen 100-200 bucks previously, but novv its usually betvveen 200-400...

Hence vvhy I suffer vvith all the problems this one has.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Used computers seem to be going up a lot. I could buy one for betvveen 100-200 bucks previously, but novv its usually betvveen 200-400...

Hence vvhy I suffer vvith all the problems this one has.

Amazon and by a new wireless or usb keyboard for $20.