• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Namaste/Namaskar/Namaskaram

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
As I understand them, these three words, namaste, namaskar, and namaskaram, have essentially the same meaning: "I bow to the divine in you," with the last being the most respectful and generally reserved for sages, enlightened masters, gods, etc.

Additionally, I've read that namaste is generally more popular in the West, while namaskar is mostly used by those who speak Tamil.

Anyone have any corrections to the above or any additional information regarding these terms?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As I understand them, these three words, namaste, namaskar, and namaskaram, have essentially the same meaning: "I bow to the divine in you," with the last being the most respectful and generally reserved for sages, enlightened masters, gods, etc.

Additionally, I've read that namaste is generally more popular in the West, while namaskar is mostly used by those who speak Tamil.

Anyone have any corrections to the above or any additional information regarding these terms?
Vannakkam. Yes, 'namaste' is popular in the west. Sometimes too popular.
I've also heard namskar lots, without the second syllable, or the schwa being completely silent.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Namaste is 'I bow to you' (people add 'the devine in you', that is an interpretation). Namaskar, is really the act of greeting, IMHO, 'Namaskaram karoti'. Namaskaram is the South Indian equivalent. Tamil is, as Vinayaka says, 'Vaṇakkam'.
From வணங்கு (vaṇaṅku, “to bend, to bow, to worship, to adore”), cognate with Malayalam വണക്കം (vaṇakkaṃ), Telugu వంగు (vaṅgu) and Kannada ಬಗ್ಗು (baggu). வணக்கம் - Wiktionary
Probably derived from: वर्णना varNanA praise. 'varṇan' is description. 'varati' is choosing (Swayamvara). Sanskrit - Dictionary

Last edited: