• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O.J. Simpson, former football star acquitted of murder, dies at 76

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Exactly...I mean...
if the perpetrator had been an ordinary man, they would have given him the chair...(even if capital punishment has been suspended in CA).

Possibly, although most murderers aren't given capital punishment. (That's another reason for opposing the death penalty, since it's given out on an arbitrary and whimsical basis.) But in any case, if he had been given death, it wouldn't have been the electric chair. Probably lethal gas or lethal injection.

However, my point was that, if this was just an ordinary person, this case would have gotten no attention at all, just as most cases are concealed from public view. The public never would have been given the opportunity to empathize or feel for the victims. They never would have known they even existed. It seems that by arbitrarily deciding who gets coverage and who doesn't, the media are effectively telling the public who they should feel empathy for. The media decide which stories are important enough to tell, and which ones are so insignificant that they can be ignored.

Three things:
A) motive (incredible rage due to jealousy)
B) criminal record (domestic violence that pushed Nicole Browne to divorce him)
C) escape (in Italy attempted escape is equivalent to extra-judicial confession)-

These three things would have sufficed. But there was much more: DNA evidence and blood footprints in his backyard.

But the jurors were too enchanted by the defense's speeches about him, that he was an immaculate, holy, angelical saint, virgin and martyr. Amen. That's what convinced them.

One thing I would mention is that, very often with public figures, the public's perception can have an influence. In O.J. Simpson's case, he was fairly well-known to the general public. He was in sportscasting, films, commercials - and his public persona was that of a decent, friendly, affable fellow. It was virtually impossible to imagine him hurting a fly, let alone seeing him in an incredible, murderous rage. It's O.J. Simpson, after all. He played a hero in The Towering Inferno and even saved a kitty cat from the blaze.

The jury was comprised mostly of people of color, and they might have viewed it from the standpoint that a racist system was trying to railroad yet another innocent black man (which was not as implausible as it might seem). That's why the attempted escape couldn't be held against him, since cops have a reputation for brutality and being able to carry out summary executions at will (particularly against black people). It could be just as easily portrayed as a Resistance fighter running from the Gestapo.

The criminal angle and the domestic violence cases were brought up when the murder case broke, but I didn't recall any coverage of that before the murder. What struck me at the time was that the media hadn't really covered any of his domestic violence cases in the years prior. They were still presenting him as the likeable, affable fellow - until they couldn't anymore.

Have you seen how all these mobsters avoid the states where the capital punishment is in force?
Because they are afraid of death, they are afraid of Hell.

It depends on what time period we're talking about. By having the means to eliminate witnesses, destroy evidence, and/or bribe police and other officials, they could fix the cases in their favor, regardless of the penalty. Of course, they were always at risk of being killed by rival mobsters - or even from within their own organization.

That was another thing that crossed my mind in regards to O.J. Simpson. He was certainly a man of means and could have simply hired someone to do it - a professional. He had connections in the sports world, in Hollywood. I guess that's another thing about how the media project a celebrity's image to the public, since it can create the perception that they're reasonably intelligent as well. After all, Simpson graduated from USC, one of the most prestigious universities on the West Coast, if not the entire nation. So, when the story broke, I was thinking "He couldn't have been that stupid as to do it himself and leave such a big mess of evidence behind, could he?"

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Possibly, although most murderers aren't given capital punishment. (That's another reason for opposing the death penalty, since it's given out on an arbitrary and whimsical basis.) But in any case, if he had been given death, it wouldn't have been the electric chair. Probably lethal gas or lethal injection.
I am against death penalty, except for one case: mafia people. Mobsters who commit massacres, like the ones that killed two magistrates, Falcone and Borsellino.
Messina Denaro, the boss who had them killed, died this year from cancer, in jail.
That proves God sees and provides, even if in the countries where death penalty is illegal.

Because, speaking of cancers, mafia is a cancer. You eliminate the problem, in the same way you cure cancer.
However, my point was that, if this was just an ordinary person, this case would have gotten no attention at all, just as most cases are concealed from public view. The public never would have been given the opportunity to empathize or feel for the victims. They never would have known they even existed. It seems that by arbitrarily deciding who gets coverage and who doesn't, the media are effectively telling the public who they should feel empathy for. The media decide which stories are important enough to tell, and which ones are so insignificant that they can be ignored.
What I meant is that an ordinary man could have never afforded the so called "dream team".
One thing I would mention is that, very often with public figures, the public's perception can have an influence. In O.J. Simpson's case, he was fairly well-known to the general public. He was in sportscasting, films, commercials - and his public persona was that of a decent, friendly, affable fellow. It was virtually impossible to imagine him hurting a fly, let alone seeing him in an incredible, murderous rage. It's O.J. Simpson, after all. He played a hero in The Towering Inferno and even saved a kitty cat from the blaze.
There are recordings of Nicole Browne calling the police, frightened to death.
She should have changed state or even country. Divorcing him was absolutely not sufficient.
She would be alive, by now.

The jury simply disregarded the evidence.

The jury was comprised mostly of people of color, and they might have viewed it from the standpoint that a racist system was trying to railroad yet another innocent black man (which was not as implausible as it might seem). That's why the attempted escape couldn't be held against him, since cops have a reputation for brutality and being able to carry out summary executions at will (particularly against black people). It could be just as easily portrayed as a Resistance fighter running from the Gestapo.
Yes, it was turned into a racism trial by the so called "dream team".
It was turned into Banality Fair.
It depends on what time period we're talking about. By having the means to eliminate witnesses, destroy evidence, and/or bribe police and other officials, they could fix the cases in their favor, regardless of the penalty. Of course, they were always at risk of being killed by rival mobsters - or even from within their own organization.
Yes, they kill each other, these mobsters. That's the funny part.

That was another thing that crossed my mind in regards to O.J. Simpson. He was certainly a man of means and could have simply hired someone to do it - a professional. He had connections in the sports world, in Hollywood. I guess that's another thing about how the media project a celebrity's image to the public, since it can create the perception that they're reasonably intelligent as well. After all, Simpson graduated from USC, one of the most prestigious universities on the West Coast, if not the entire nation. So, when the story broke, I was thinking "He couldn't have been that stupid as to do it himself and leave such a big mess of evidence behind, could he?"
That's the point.
It was 100% not premeditated.
It's what we call an "impulsive murder", or "murder due to raptus" in our legal slang.

The incredible rage due to jealousy can turn strong, tough and hyper-masculine men into murderers.
It's endocrinological factors that play a significant role.

If someone had wanted to kill them (premeditatedly), he would have hired a hitman.
A hitman is a professional: he follows the victims for days or weeks. Then he uses a gun with the silencer.
Nobody would have seen anything. Nobody would have heard anything.