• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Confucianism, anyone?

Leftimies

Dwelling in the Principle
Sometimes it seems I am all alone on this boat, lol. Most people appear to consider Confucianism as a philosophy rather than a religion, and there certainly are many strictly philosophical schools within the faith. But for me, it has always been religion, prior, during and after the conversion. :D

Tian (Heaven) and Shangdi (Lord on High) as the main deities, sometimes considered to be one and same, concept of Yin and Yang forming our soul and cosmos, partition of soul upon death, spirits, rituals, sacrifice and reverence are apparent and natural to me. But are there anyone else agreeing with me? Or am I a religious statistics error in a philosophic community? :confused:

Confucius himself, at least, was a deeply religious man. Believing in Heaven's authority, and showed great reverence towards those who came before and their spirits. To me, his lack of mention regarding these did not speak of his non-religious nature, but the complete opposite.

Wannabe Yogi

Hi I know very little about Confucianism. I always thought of it as a philosophy and a very practical way of looking at the world. I am looking forward to you sharing your views. Please tell us more.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I have always thought of Confucianism as Chinese. I'm curious: are you a Chinese living in Finland, or is Confucianism a world-wide religion?

Leftimies

Oh, sure, just ask if you want to know. And they really are not my views, though I believe in them, rather, the very old religious concepts of Confucianism.

About the idea of partition of soul: Yin (darkness) and Yang (light) forms our soul, and upon death, Yang part called Hun departs for transcendent world and Yin part called Po remains in this world, or, in grave (according to the texts I've read). So yeah, the purpose of rituals would be to satisfy these two of our ancestors. If not properly treated and revered, the Po of our ancestor could become Kuei, a troubled evil spirt, bringing havoc to the living.

Leftimies

I have always thought of Confucianism as Chinese. I'm curious: are you a Chinese living in Finland, or is Confucianism a world-wide religion?

Ah, I am a Finnish person, born and raised in Finnish family :D I just converted into Confucianism from Christianity. It is world-wide among the Chinese diaspora, but other than that, I think it remained pretty sealed in Far-East region. Though it influenced both Western philosophy and Islamic thought.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I have a soft spot for Religious Confucianism. Nice to see a Religious Confucian here. :)

Hi, I'm from China, so perhaps I can explain.

For the most people Confucianism is just part of the culture. They combined it with whatever religion that is most common in their family or hometown, such as Buddhism, Taoism and others. Even some Christians still combine Confucian ideas into their religion as a philosophy. Manchurians also adopted many Confucius' ideas into their culture even though their religion is different from Han Chinese.

So in my opinion Confucianism does not mainly care your religion, but more about your actions.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I've only recently been reading about Confucianism, and have come away with the idea that it is not theistic at all, especially given this seciton on Confucian (non-)theism: Confucianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I also think Confucian (and Taoist) ideals blend in very nicely with other religions.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I've only recently been reading about Confucianism, and have come away with the idea that it is not theistic at all, especially given this seciton on Confucian (non-)theism: Confucianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I also think Confucian (and Taoist) ideals blend in very nicely with other religions.
True -- but that's what Wikipedia says, (written by laypeople, mainly) and there are different forms of Confucianism out there: neo-Confucianism, for example, is one of the most common ones, and is non-theistic. From even a basic reading of the Analects, though, it's evident Confucius was theistic (possibly pantheistic) and believed Heaven to be more than just an ideal, and this is where Religious Confucianism comes into play. Religious Confucianism itself is quite a recent emergence.

Things like the following verse make it difficult for a Religious Confucian to think Heaven isn't actually a God.

"He who offends against Heaven has none to whom he can pray." - Analects, Chapter 3

For reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tian#Confucius
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shangdi#Zhou_dynasty
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_China#Religious_Confucianism

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I just found Neo-Confucianism. I shouldn't say Confucianism is "not theistic at all". That's too broad a statement. There are the Boston Confucians, and New Confucianism. It seems to be a quite pliable and adaptable system.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I just found Neo-Confucianism. I shouldn't say Confucianism is "not theistic at all". That's too broad a statement. There are the Boston Confucians, and New Confucianism. It seems to be a quite pliable and adaptable system.
It looks that way. :D I can only hope Religious Confucianism gets more limelight.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It looks that way. :D I can only hope Religious Confucianism gets more limelight.

Yeah, I need more deity pictures and religious books around the house. :D

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Yeah, I need more deity pictures and religious books around the house. :D
If you can, see if you can find the Analects. Mozi, a contemporary (and a bit of a rival) of Confucius is quite Dharmic too, emphasising unconditional love for all and devotion unto God, etc.

Personally, I regard Confucius as "up there" (so to speak) with Kṛṣṇa, Jesus, Buddha, Nānak, and some others. :)

Leftimies

Religious Confucianism is seeing quite rapid revival in Taiwan, and as far as popularity goes, it is gaining foothold. I think things are looking a bit grittier in Mainland though...