• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The enlarged nun (נ) in Exodus 34:7

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Rabbi W. Gunther Plaut suggests that this particular nun in נצר is often found enlarged perhaps to prevent it from being read as an ayin (i.e., עצר) -- in other words, to prevent "extending" from being read as "withholding." (Note that something comparable has been suggested for the enlarged resh in verse 14.)

Can anyone recommend an alternate explanation for נצר?

Yokefellow

I am sure OP knows this already but I am posting this info because I find it interesting.

Nun represents the name of the Mashiach as well as a 'humble servant'.

50 represents Jublilee/Redemption/Freedom

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Does this help?

Actually, I often consult Rab Wiki before creating a post and, in this particular case, came across the mi yodea entry. I suspected that answer number two* would likely prove to be the best I'd encounter, but there are some extremely well read Jews here and hope springs eternal.

* The answer is reminiscent of the often inspired eisegesis surrounding the representation of the Shema.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
* The answer is reminiscent of the often inspired eisegesis surrounding the representation of the Shema.

Are you referring to the last letter of the first word in the Shema (ע), and the last letter in the last word of that first verse (ד) being larger in order to spell the Hebrew word for "witness" (עד)?

I remembered this from an annotation in one of my siddurim, and I've just now looked it up in order to quote directly from it, regarding the interpretation of those enlarged letters spelling out "witness": "Whenever we recite the Sh'ma, we are responding to the Divine call: Atem Eydai, You are My witnesses (Isaiah 43:10); and we are reminded of our vocation to be God's witnesses -- in both our personal and collective lives." Quoted from Siddur Hadash, p. 55.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Are you referring to the last letter of the first word in the Shema (ע), and the last letter in the last word of that first verse (ד) being larger in order to spell the Hebrew word for "witness" (עד)?

Interesting. I remember this as extending to the "four corners of the earth". ~goggling~ Oh! It's the 4 corners of heaven. Dalet. 4. Also, apparently I've been pronouncing it wrong all these years. Extending it would need to be Daleth - LINK

Talmud Berachot 11b

It was taught Sumakhos says: One who extends of eḥad his days and years are extended. Rav Aḥa bar Ya’akov said the daletRav Ashi said only so long as one does not ḥet hurriedly.​
Rabbi Yirmeya was seated before Rabbi Ḥiyya bar Abba. He saw that he was greatly extending [it] He said to him: Once you have crowned Him over above, below, and in the four corners of the heavens, you need not further.​

magen-david-260px-removebg-preview.png Above, below, 4 corners = 6. vav is also 6, a hook, connection. magen-david-260px-removebg-preview.png

Rabbi Yirmeya says: "You need not further [extend]."​

There there's this: I suppose I wasn't completely wrong about the corners of the earth:

What specifically should one think about while reciting the first verse of Shema?​
Certainly, one should pay attention to the meaning of the words. "Israel! God who is the Diety we believe in, is One and All-powerful." Therefore, one should lengthen the last chet in "echad," as the form of the chet alludes to the heavens and the earth. Also, one should also lengthen the last dalet of "echad," alluding to the four corners of the earth over which God rules (Shulchan Arukh 61:6).​

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Can anyone recommend an alternate explanation for נצר?

נצר חסד לאלפים נשא עון ופשע וחטאה ונקה לא ינקה פקד עון אבות על־בנים ועל־בני בנים על־שלשים ועל־רבעים׃

נצר mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children’s children, to the third and to the fourth generation.

Screenshot_20231003_084645.jpg

Screenshot_20231003_084727.jpg