• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The playoff bracket and the chances of each team in the American League after the regular season ends

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
American League playoff bracket.jpg

Projected bracket is a misnomer. This is the American League playoff bracket.

American League playoof chance by round.jpg

I am rooting for the Orioles, which is why this post is focused on the American League. National League posts are permitted.;)

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
View attachment 82933

Projected bracket is a misnomer. This is the American League playoff bracket.

View attachment 82934

I am rooting for the Orioles, which is why this post is focused on the American League. National League posts are permitted.;)
I just saw this this morning on the MLB site under playoffs. Good luck to you and your Orioles. They had a great season.

Our home roots for the Toronto Blue Jays, because we have a Canadian satellite service here in Mexico and get all of the Blue Jay's games, so I know the players well.

But I have a question about these numbers. Every team seems to have less than a 50% chance of winning the World Series if it gets there (divide Make World Series by Win World Series). That can't be right, can it?

Truthseeker

I just saw this this morning on the MLB site under playoffs. Good luck to you and your Orioles. They had a great season.

Our home roots for the Toronto Blue Jays, because we have a Canadian satellite service here in Mexico and get all of the Blue Jay's games, so I know the players well.

But I have a question about these numbers. Every team seems to have less than a 50% chance of winning the World Series if it gets there (divide Make World Series by Win World Series). That can't be right, can it?
The Dodgers and Braves are both considered very strong teams. They are the bigger favorites to be in the world series. Here is the data from ESPN on the National League:

National League bracket for playoffs.jpg

National League playoff chances.jpg

Truthseeker

@Vinayaka, They got starting pitcher John Means back from Tommy John surgery in September, and he did well in the 4 games he pitched. He had a 2.66 ERA and a 0.72 WHIP. That helps them a lot. There have been times after they lost Bautista when the bullpen broke down. It's been good lately, and baseball seems like a sport where what you have done lately carries over for a while. The team that is the hottest at the time wins quite a bit in the playoffs, so I take these projections with a grain of salt. I don't know what team that will be. How many times have I seen a wild-card team win the playoffs? Everybody gets surprised by that, and based on my experience they shouldn't be so surprised.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
@Vinayaka, They got John Means back from Tommy John surgery in September, and he did well in the 4 or 5 games he pitched. That helps them a lot. There have been times after they lost Bautista when the bullpen broke down. It's been good lately, and baseball seems like a sport where what you have done lately carries over for a while. The team that is the hottest at the time wins quite a bit in the playoffs, so I take these projections with a grain of salt. I don't know what team that will be. How many times have I seen a wild-card team win the playoffs? Everybody gets surprised by that, and based on my experience they shouldn't be so surprised.
Thanks. I am rarely surprised by outcomes in sports, but that's because people like you and I who have seen it all know better. Anything can happen, and an inch of space can change the outcome of a game.

Truthseeker

What's odd about the picks above is that most of them to win the World series are for the Braves, which is 22 picks, and only 1 for an American League team, the Orioles, and that's out of 27 people picking!

Truthseeker

The Orioles will be playing the Rangers at home at 1:00 Eastern time. The Twins will be at the Houston Astros on Saturday, that time not set yet.

I know there are a couple of Blue Jays fans in this thread who are disappointed. I sympathize. I sympathize with the Tampa Bay Rays who had the second best record in the American League after the Orioles, yet had to enter the wild-card round, and now their season is over. It's been that way for years in American League East. It is tough to be in that division. The Orioles were fortunate enough to beat out he Rays and avoid their fate.

I will endeavor to familiar myself with the Rangers before Saturday. I am ignorant about most players on teams other than the Orioles.