• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Water into wine: natural or supernatural?

WonderingWorrier

wedding feast have no wine

Like having no understanding of the word. Just like having no understanding of the word "Bread".

Like said here:

"And when Jesus knew it, he saith unto them, Why reason ye, because ye have no bread? perceive ye not yet, neither understand? have ye your heart yet hardened?" Mark

Notice hardened hearts don't have bread.

Consider here is having hearts as stones with the reason being they could not hear the words of the law:

"Yea, they made their hearts as an adamant stone, lest they should hear the law, and the words which the Lord of hosts hath sent in his spirit by the former prophets: therefore came a great wrath from the Lord of hosts". Zechariah

I know Bread and Wine are two different words of a specific OT law. They are in different positions shared with other words of the same law.

So I know it is very clear and logical to say the bread is the flesh, and the wine is the blood.
Because I know they have the same positions.

Bread - Oil - Wine
Flesh
- Bone - Blood
Sea - River - Stream

Those that couldn't understand the words would therefore have no wine, and no bread.

I recognise the gospel writers clearly understood the OT law. Because I can see they put their words in the right places within their sentences.

"Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word". John

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
To add to my post #160 ,
So the term super-Natural has been wrongly coined, by the Atheism people just to bully the Theism people, right?

Regards
"Supernatural refers to phenomena or entities that are beyond the laws of nature.[1] The term is derived from Medieval Latin supernaturalis, from Latin super- (above, beyond, or outside of) + natura (nature).[1] Although the corollary term "nature" has had multiple meanings since the ancient world, the term "supernatural" emerged in the Middle Ages[2] and did not exist in the ancient world.[3] "

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
To add to my post #160 ,
So the term super-Natural has been wrongly coined, by the Atheism people just to bully the Theism people, right?

Regards
"Supernatural refers to phenomena or entities that are beyond the laws of nature.[1] The term is derived from Medieval Latin supernaturalis, from Latin super- (above, beyond, or outside of) + natura (nature).[1] Although the corollary term "nature" has had multiple meanings since the ancient world, the term "supernatural" emerged in the Middle Ages[2] and did not exist in the ancient world.[3] "
I'm not sure why you would conclude that atheists use the word supernatural to bully theists. Supernatural merely mean, as you say above, something that is beyond the natural, meaning not governed by the laws of nature. Things like God, gods, angels, ghosts, jinn, demons, etc., are all supernatural, and there is nothing insulting or bullying about saying so. Your own source states that the word supernatural came into the English language in the middle ages. Atheists did not exist back then, so no, atheists did not make up this term.

Please stop saying "Atheism people," and "Theism people." It is very poor English, and sounds bizarre, and I have corrected you on this before. The proper words are atheists and theists.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I'm not sure why you would conclude that atheists use the word supernatural to bully theists. Supernatural merely mean, as you say above, something that is beyond the natural, meaning not governed by the laws of nature. Things like God, gods, angels, ghosts, jinn, demons, etc., are all supernatural, and there is nothing insulting or bullying about saying so. Your own source states that the word supernatural came into the English language in the middle ages. Atheists did not exist back then, so no, atheists did not make up this term.

Please stop saying "Atheism people," and "Theism people." It is very poor English, and sounds bizarre, and I have corrected you on this before. The proper words are atheists and theists.
It may be what you call poor English, but it makes sense. Maybe paarsurrey will change, maybe he will not nevertheless it makes more sense to say it the way he does because theists are not united in their beliefs, as you already know. Atheists it seems, are rather united.

gnostic

The Lost One
Nobody else can know all the ins and outs of a thing except the creator of it, so whatever He says/said about a thing, that is only " natural", right?

Transforming (just) water into wine, “isn’t natural”.

Likewise, creating light from just words - “Let there be light” - that “isn’t natural”. Light don’t come from words, nor from nothing. Light requires a source, eg from the sun, from charged particles or charged molecules (ionized atoms or molecules) can result in light & colour lights, like fire or the aurora borealis & aurora australis.

Creating Adam from “dust of the ground” (soil) or from clay (Qur’an), are not natural. Humans are born, through reproduction.

They cannot be created from soil (soil types - clay, silt or sand), which are largely made of silicon-based minerals, like silicate (eg feldspar, mica) or silica (eg quartz). Silicate and silica are inorganic matters, none of these minerals are found in any cells or tissues in the human body. So what Genesis and Qur’an say about being created from some types of soil, isn’t natural.

Regards

I am flabbergasted by your ignorance and your dishonesty.

You quoted wiki article on supernatural. Don’t you bother understand what you read?

It say the word supernatural, originated from Medieval Latin, paarsurrey: supernaturalis.

Medieval Latin, as in the “Middle Ages”, paarsurrey, Latin that was used in the Middle Ages, by scholars and Roman Catholic priesthood, and it spread to other medieval European kingdoms, like supernaturel in Middle French, spoken in medieval France, and into Middle English as supernaturel & supernatural in medieval England.

During the medieval period, in England, the language weren’t static, as the inhabitants, especially those who could read and write, often have words that of French origin, particularly Old French and Middle French, through the Normans (post-Norman Conquest), hence many of those in noble birth and priesthood, spoke and wrote in Anglo-Norman French. While the non-noble or nn-aristocrat English families spoke Middle English, it wasn’t really populnar until 13th century.

In Western Europe at that time, they were all Christians (minus Jews and Muslims that lived in Europe, eg Spain & Sicily that were partly ruled by the Moors).

Atheism didn’t exist at time in Europe, so atheists couldn’t have coined supernatural.

And it is not bully, to call magic and miracles, “supernatural”, or gods, angels, demons, spirits, “supernatural”.

Nature doesn’t defy any natural or physical laws, paarsurrey, but believing in imaginary beings or magic or miracle, do defy them.

Sure, there are things, that we don’t understand, and that we don’t have explanations for them, but it is honest person who say “I don’t know”, than someone who use “God did it” superstition.

People not too long ago before Jesus’ time, used to believe angels were the ones who move the Sun and Moon across the sky (eg the Book of Enoch). There were no understanding by people in those day about the Sun actually was a star, how there are sunlight, why Earth rotate on its own axis, or the earth orbiting the Sun (and not the other around; geocentric model was far more popular than heliocentric model), nothing about gravity, etc.

I don’t expect ancient Jews or Christians to know these things, because that’s what it was like, but in this day and age, we do know better with sciences on the Earth & Sun, they dispel myths and superstitions that plagued most religions, including the Bible and the Qur’an.

It is not bullying, when some theists used their respective religions & scriptures to define their truth about nature…especially when they are not true at all.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

To add to my post #160 ,

Regards
What about miracle? That doesn't seem to be in the same category as natural, right?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, water cannot be turned into wine. The molecular composition is completely different. Science cannot do it today.
Only Jesus (in Bible) or Allah (of Qur'an) can do it. Bahaollah too could have done it. He was the 'return of Jesus'.

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
What about miracle? That doesn't seem to be in the same category as natural, right?

Miracles that defy law of nature, would of course not be classified as natural.

in my last post, I said it as much, not just with water into wine, but also a couple of other examples, like
  • creation of light from nothing or from words, and
  • transforming soil into man…

…neither of these are probable, nor are they natural.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:
To add to my post #160 ,

Regards
Supernatural - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org
The reality of Signs and or miracles are best and or properly understood with/under the Religious Method as it is best methodology for things that fall under the realm of ethical, moral and or spiritual; the same ways as the Scientific Method is the tool and or methodology used to understand the reality of the things falling under the material and or physical realms, please, right?

Regards

YoursTrue

Transforming (just) water into wine, “isn’t natural”.

Likewise, creating light from just words - “Let there be light” - that “isn’t natural”. Light don’t come from words, nor from nothing. Light requires a source, eg from the sun, from charged particles or charged molecules (ionized atoms or molecules) can result in light & colour lights, like fire or the aurora borealis & aurora australis.

Creating Adam from “dust of the ground” (soil) or from clay (Qur’an), are not natural. Humans are born, through reproduction.

You quoted wiki article on supernatural. Don’t you bother understand what you read?
I think (not sure) we can agree that making wine from water is not the natural way of making wine.

YoursTrue

paarsurrey said:
To add to my post #160 ,

Regards
Supernatural - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org

The reality of Signs and or miracles are best and or properly understood with/under the Religious Method as it is best methodology for things that fall under the realm of ethical, moral and or spiritual; the same ways as the Scientific Method is the tool and or methodology used to understand the reality of the things falling under the material and or physical realms, please, right?

Regards
Forgive me, paarsurrey but your posts are a bit too abstruse for me to follow. Therefore, I pass. :) Have a good day.

YoursTrue

Miracles that defy law of nature, would of course not be classified as natural.

in my last post, I said it as much, not just with water into wine, but also a couple of other examples, like
  • creation of light from nothing or from words, and
  • transforming soil into man…

…neither of these are probable, nor are they natural.
As far as probable, of course the Bible says that God made the earth ready for life on it. Therefore, whatever happened in the way of creation is not something that, to the best of my knowledge, mankind can do. (In reference to the universe and planets I mean. Maybe some scientists claim they have created light, I don't know, but I'm kind of expecting someone to jump in and say yes, they have. :) Or better yet, maybe they--the scientists--will eventually figure out how to make planets, light, etc. from -- um -- nothing or maybe something like -- gravity, maybe.)

YoursTrue

paarsurrey said:
To add to my post #160 ,

Regards
Supernatural - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org

Regards
(whatever...and have a nice day, evening, whatever you want to call it, right?)