• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the worst or most unavoidable detail of your job?

libre

Skylark
I'm in IT.
The only constant in the career is that your entire workflow will be different in 10 years, and need to be able to keep up.

The constant at my job is that I'll have to verbally disarm computer users that have unrealistic expectations for what can be fixed or maintained and what must be replaced.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Inspired by @SalixIncendium's thread.

What is the most unpleasant or unavoidable aspect of your job or career that might deter job seekers?
Irresponsibility. I would say about a third of the people I schedule for interviews actually show up. Today alone out of 6 interviews I scheduled, 2 showed up (1 of the 6 texted me a half hour before his interview asking if a felony disqualified him from the position).

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What is the most unpleasant or unavoidable aspect of your job or career that might deter job seekers?

Those are two different things in my book.

What would deter job seekers? That's easy - our job class is underpaid relative to the required qualifications and what we do for the university. In spite of this being a well-recognized problem, university administration isn't doing anything about it.

What is most unpleasant and unavoidable? Those moments when you have a student in distress and want to help them but can't. Usually that happens when their problems are well beyond the scope of what you can assist with. You get to stare suffering in the face and be largely helpless to combat it. You have to just do what you can and find peace with that.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I don't like the "background" work required to be done on the school's computer systems. It's just dull and some of it is just box ticking. Shouldn't put anyone off though.

Last edited:

Daemon Sophic

Closed-minded and easily offended “higher ups” and bureaucracy who don’t take well to new techniques/ideas/viewpoints.

”As my second in command, you were supposed to support whatever ideas I put forward for the staff.” These were some of the last words my prior employer said to me as she was firing me. o_O
My response was, “My role as your second in command is to be the only one who may voice concerns or alternatives to your ideas. Everyone else in the department would have no authority to question you.” :emojconfused:
To her credit, she tried to speak with the bureaucracy and cancel the firing. However, the bureaucracy had already been set in motion. :facepalm:

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
You work with a lot of challenging behaviors for very little pay.
Let me paint yall a picture...15 preschoolers. In a very small classroom that's cut in half to accomadate two classes. No one wanted to sleep today. They all were wild at nap time ranning around causing chaos and havoc. I tried I really did to get them to calm down. Only two were asleep. Several kept climbing the counter and nothing you do stops them all you can do is take them off the counter. You try everything you can to get them to stop they won't listen. Eventually one runs to the other classroom gets on the counter falls off and busted his mouth bleeding everywhere. Some kids are running in circles tearing the classroom up. One keeps hitting everybody. Again nobody will listen. I'm the only one in the class at the moment. My coworker is on break. I ended getting my boss in there and still it doesn't help they wild. My coworker comes back eventually after an hour of trying to get everyone under control to no avail. We ended up having to wake the two that were asleep and take everybody outside. Only way we could get them to calm down.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Let me paint yall a picture...15 preschoolers. In a very small classroom that's cut in half to accomadate two classes. No one wanted to sleep today. They all were wild at nap time ranning around causing chaos and havoc. I tried I really did to get them to calm down. Only two were asleep. Several kept climbing the counter and nothing you do stops them all you can do is take them off the counter. You try everything you can to get them to stop they won't listen. Eventually one runs to the other classroom gets on the counter falls off and busted his mouth bleeding everywhere. Some kids are running in circles tearing the classroom up. One keeps hitting everybody. Again nobody will listen. I'm the only one in the class at the moment. My coworker is on break. I ended getting my boss in there and still it doesn't help they wild. My coworker comes back eventually after an hour of trying to get everyone under control to no avail. We ended up having to wake the two that were asleep and take everybody outside. Only way we could get them to calm down.
Them kids by the way in that classroom wont listen to anybody. They once had a teacher stop by that class that worked for 40 years. One day there she just flat out said the kids in the class were unteachable at this moment. I don't agree with that. I think the classroom is too small for them. That's the issue why they keep acting up

They are very very calm outside. But a few minutes inside they act crazy