• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ye olde letter thorn

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Just cause I didn't know ...

images

The Old English / Norse letter "thorn" is pronounced 'th' and soon evolved as shown ...

thorn-evolution.jpg

So when encountering something such as ...

ye-old-cheshire-cheese.jpg

... the proper pronunciation is "The Old ..."

Last edited:

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Just cause I didn't know ...

images

The Old English / Norse letter "thorn" is pronounced 'th' and soon evolved as shown ...

One of two middle english letters used for the "th" of modern english. The other was eth or ð. The only other middle english letter which died out that I can think of offhand is yogh or ȝ.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
For some reason 'th' gets no respect. I suspect that the tav sans dagesh originally had that pronunciation as well.

But in the case of the thorn, the 'confusion' was the result of developments in the depiction of the letter leading it to be indistinguishable from the letter 'Y'.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But in the case of the thorn, the 'confusion' was the result of developments in the depiction of the letter leading it to be indistinguishable from the letter 'Y'.
Yep. Eth died out as the "th" sound(s) shortly before "th" was actually used (end of the 13th century), and in the 14th century, when "th" and thorn appeared side-by-side, the hand of the period was such that "y" and thorn were identical or at least nearly so.

Interestingly (well, to me anyways), yogh was even more of a problem at the time, because it was used in place of an initial "y" quite often, but in medial positions became the hard "g" sound similar to today's German "ch".

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Oh, I can't wait to pull this out when someone pronounces it "Yee Old Tavern". :D It's gonna be so much fun.

Well. At least for me.