• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“Atheists in Foxholes” Veterans Day event

Pah

Uber all member
http://www.atheistfoxholes.org/about.php

WHAT’S THIS ALL ABOUT?
“There are no Atheists in foxholes!”

It’s a claim that is repeatedly made by many politicians, media pundits and especially preachers. But is it true?

No!

There ARE in fact many “Atheists in foxholes” who have served and are serving our country proudly, in all branches of the armed forces. In fact, nearly thirty million Americans do not profess a religious belief. This group includes many people who describe themselves as Atheists, Freethinkers, Secular Humanists or with other appellations.

Isn’t it time that we acknowledged and saluted them?

That is what the “Atheists in Foxholes” event is all about! It is an opportunity for these many men and women to make a proud statement that they, too, are serving their country. It is also an event where the rest of us — including our political and military leaders — can recognize and honor these “Atheists in Foxholes.”

Who Can Particpate in the
“Atheists in Foxholes” Event?
There is room for everyone to participate in some meaningful way in the “Atheists in Foxholes” Veterans Day event!

Those who consider themselves “Atheists in Foxholes” who are serving or have served honorably in the U.S. Armed Forces are invited to participate in the March/Parade down the National Mall. This part of the event is exclusively for these veterans Are you one of those “Atheists in Foxholes”? We don’t want to get into a heady debate over definitions, or waste time arguing about the precise meaning of the phrase. But if you are a nonbeliever of some kind (and served or are serving in the military) — an Atheist, Freethinker, Rationalist, Secular Humanist, whatever -- we suspect you fall into the “Atheists in Foxholes” category! Please join the action!
Everyone else, especially if you are an Atheist, Freethinker, Rationalist, Secular Humanist or other “flavor” of nonbeliever, you are invited to join us at the “Atheists in Foxholes” Rally, where the Parade of veterans will terminate. We are planning speeches, reading of greetings, entertainment and other events! Join us on the Mall in our nation's capital as we recognize and salute the Atheists in foxholes!
All may contribute to the “Atheists in Foxholes” recognition salute! It takes money to put on this event. Your contribution helps cover expenses. Won't you help? Here’s how…
Who Else is Being Invited?
We are inviting all Members of Congress plus leading U.S. Military Officials as well as President Bush to join us in this salute to “Atheists in Foxholes.” Even if these people are not Atheists or nonbelievers, they are welcome to express their thanks for the role that these veterans are and have played in the defense of our nation!

And an Important Postscript …
This “Atheists in Foxholes” event is not a referendum on war in general or about a specific military action. It is about the many men and women — “Atheists in Foxholes” — who have served and are serving this country and helping to uphold our Constitution. Like the rest of our society, veterans and active military personnel have their own diverse political opinions on national policy.

Instead, “Atheists in Foxholes” is about our leaders, our military and our society rejecting a discriminatory and marginalizing stereotype. It is about recognizing those many Atheists, Freethinkers and other nonbelievers who “stepped up” when they were needed in times of war or other crisis, and often put their lives at risk. They should be appreciated and honored like all other members of the U.S. military.

Won’t you join us?

I haven't marched on the mall for some time now. Novemeber is cool enough in DC for me so maybe I'll be there

Bob

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
I take the expression "There are no atheists in foxholes" to mean that atheists will be anxious to convert to religion if they face an imminent threat of death. I found that to not be true in my case. Many years ago, I was quite sure I was going to drown. I had time, however, to rethink my atheism. I came to the conclusion that I was very much at peace with my disbelief in God. I am still at peace with it today. :)

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'd consider someone a fool if they didn't have a bit of doubt before dying. "Did I choose right? Is this how I should have acted?"

On topic: Sounds like just the thing to incite the right-wing nutjobs, pah. :D

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Jensa said:
I'd consider someone a fool if they didn't have a bit of doubt before dying. "Did I choose right? Is this how I should have acted?"

On topic: Sounds like just the thing to incite the right-wing nutjobs, pah. :D
I may be an exception to a rule, and I may be a fool, but I felt no doubt about my athesim as I faced death.

Pah

Uber all member
retrorich said:
I may be an exception to a rule, and I may be a fool, but I felt no doubt about my athesim as I faced death.
Nor I (see my journal)

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
There are no athiests in foxholes because:

1) They are too skeered.

2) They don't believe in "nothing" and a hole is just that.

3) Being superficial in nature, they just can't stand getting very deep.

4) They are still arguing with the Sargeant about the problem of evil.

:D

anders

I think that I am beginning to understand the meaning of the thread title. But my impression is that anyone in a combat area would understand that there can't be any Supreme Being, at least no benevolent or omniwhatever one.