• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ásatrú or Odinism

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
This seemed like the best place to place this. I have in just the last week looked more into the religion of my ancestors. I have looked into many religions before but maybe I have finally found the one for me. Though reading though some books and website I have seen it been call Odinism and/or Ásatrú. I was wounding if there is a difference or are the basically the same thing different name. From what I have read here be Zephyr, Ásatrú is a way of following ones Northern European ancestors, and what I have read about Odinism is that it is focused on the Gods themselves. Though to me it seem different right there, but I might have to read me into it. If anyone can help cool.

Zephyr

Moved on
Well. they're both extremely similar, and even I haven't been able to get any really solid answers. For all I'm concerned, they're both Heathens, and that's good enough for me.

I suppose if religions were food, Asatru and Odinism are just like peanut or almond snickers bars. They may be a bit different, but their still pretty much the same delicious chocolate bar.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Well. they're both extremely similar, and even I haven't been able to get any really solid answers. For all I'm concerned, they're both Heathens, and that's good enough for me.

I suppose if religions were food, Asatru and Odinism are just like peanut or almond snickers bars. They may be a bit different, but their still pretty much the same delicious chocolate bar.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Think you for answering. Rally I figured you would be the one too answer this.

Valfather

Skald
Well, this is hard to explain but I will try my best. For some there would be no difference; many Asatruars believe exactly the same as many Odinists, however Odinists in general would have a more concrete or definite view of the gods, whereas some Asatruars may see them metaphorically as forces of nature, or not believe in them at all and see Asatru as an ancestral religion, but some others still believe in the gods in a literal sense.

Basically, the words mean the same thing, but an Odinist almost always believes in the gods in a literal way, whereas an Asatruar may not but also may literally believe in the gods. Sorry if that is confusing, but either term can mean the same thing, they just have different connotations...sometimes.

I personally describe myself as a heathen. I do not identify well with people who generally define themselves as Asatruars, while I do not believe exclusively in Odin so I find the term Odinist inadequate.

Hioni

I have a Pen
Ditto to the Above... :)
For some reason though, some of the Asatru sites I've been to just reminded me of the Christian Baptists for some reason... SOME, not all of them...

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
Ditto to the Above... :)
For some reason though, some of the Asatru sites I've been to just reminded me of the Christian Baptists for some reason... SOME, not all of them...

I agree. Some that I've been on just have that feeling. I really dislike the sights that encourage you to buy from their merch websites to "show your dedication" and I really dislike the fact that with some sites there are membership fees. It should be free.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Well, this is hard to explain but I will try my best. For some there would be no difference; many Asatruars believe exactly the same as many Odinists, however Odinists in general would have a more concrete or definite view of the gods, whereas some Asatruars may see them metaphorically as forces of nature, or not believe in them at all and see Asatru as an ancestral religion, but some others still believe in the gods in a literal sense.

Basically, the words mean the same thing, but an Odinist almost always believes in the gods in a literal way, whereas an Asatruar may not but also may literally believe in the gods. Sorry if that is confusing, but either term can mean the same thing, they just have different connotations...sometimes.

I personally describe myself as a heathen. I do not identify well with people who generally define themselves as Asatruars, while I do not believe exclusively in Odin so I find the term Odinist inadequate.

Personally I do not think the words mean the same. Then again, that's simply my view. I self-identify as an Odinsman, not an Odinist, because while I venerate all the Asa and Van, I feel an actual connection with the Allfather; and I feel a deep pang that remains in the connection between 'Odinist' and racism, even though I am well aware that Odinists are NOT racists by default [as much as anyone else is]; this is simply my own aversion.

I must though absolutely diagree that an asatruar would not believe in the Gods as individuals. I have never heard such a thing. Honestly I find such an assertion baffling.

None of the other Gods have ever really made themselves obvious to me, and that doesn't lower them in my eyes at all. I simply feel the Old Man in my life, and so it's to Him that I look, in general. Like as in a alarge family, some relatives you favor, see all teh time, and are involved with, and some you aren't, even though they're your family and go on with their lives knowing you are there as well. It would seem to me that an Odinist would also simply venerate Odin most; while Asatruar would seem a more general term that ~might~ include Odinists within. But again, I am speaking as I am, and not as a person who self-identifies as an Asatruar would.

Over the years, as a lone practitionaer, I've had to readjust what word I use as definitions were explained to me over time; but I haven't had the distinction you've mentioned made to me before; hence my comments.

Last edited: