• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“Let the states decide.”

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
“Let the states decide. (e.g. on abortion)” is often said by Republicans. Big government bad they say, so we should let the state governments as opposed to the federal government dictate many things of our lives.

To those who say that, why don’t you say “Let the counties decide.”? And if you say that, why don’t you say “Let the cities decide.”? And if you say that, why don’t you say “Let the individual decide.”?

Normally, I like to shoot spitballs at both sides of the aisle. But when conservatives say something along the lines of “big government bad therefore let states dictate everything” it makes me chuckle. That is all.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
“Let the states decide. (e.g. on abortion)” is often said by Republicans. Big government bad they say, so we should let the state governments as opposed to the federal government dictate many things of our lives.

To those who say that, why don’t you say “Let the counties decide.”? And if you say that, why don’t you say “Let the cities decide.”? And if you say that, why don’t you say “Let the individual decide.”?

Normally, I like to shoot spitballs at both sides of the aisle. But when conservatives say something along the lines of “big government bad therefore let states dictate everything” it makes me chuckle. That is all.
I think its a good thing. We are united under a united common cause which is why federalism was adopted.

Abortion is far from being a united common cause which is a clear case why it should clearly be a states right issue.

It's good for both sides because they can all migrate to places where things best suits them.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I think its a good thing. We are united under a united common cause which is why federalism was adopted.

Abortion is far from being a united common cause which is a clear case why it should clearly be a states right issue.

It's good for both sides because they can all migrate to places where things best suits them.
Slavery isn't a common cause either but it shouldn't be a states issue.
Abortion is healthcare and it shouldn't be a states issue. We the People do not want it to be a states issue and too many women have suffered and died from bad state laws as it is. And, of course, not everyone can afford to move amd no one knows if they'll need an abortion to save their life or not.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.

Well, why don’t we let counties decide on abortion? People can just move to the county that has their political views.

Twilight Hue

Slavery isn't a common cause either but it shouldn't be a states issue.
Abortion is healthcare and it shouldn't be a states issue. We the People do not want it to be a states issue and too many women have suffered and died from bad state laws as it is. And, of course, not everyone can afford to move amd no one knows if they'll need an abortion to save their life or not.
I agree with the slavery part and obviously that's why it's now a federal issue because it's a common cause.

Abortion is a state issue unlike what you want to believe, it is most certainly not a common cause , which means it isnt a federal matter , but a states matter.

Pogo

I agree with the slavery part and obviously that's why it's now a federal issue because it's a common cause.

Abortion is a state issue unlike what you want to believe, it is most certainly not a common cause , which means it isnt a federal matter , but a states matter.
Being a woman is far more common that being a slave ever was, do you really ever think about your logic?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member

"Not a common cause" you say?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Not a common cause" you say?
There are also women who oppose other
women having the right to abortion.
But more important is that there is pretty
much a consensus about the right, ie,
63% for it.
36% against.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

It sounds good in theory, but in practice, a lot of the same governments which have favored the "states' rights" position have operated just the opposite when it came to running their own states.

Counties and municipalities have limited authority within the framework of most state governments. However, I've heard some sheriffs claiming that sheriffs have some kind of special authority over their counties, although I haven't delved too deeply into the actual legality of that. That may seem a bit crazy, although I do remember a time when the Border Patrol shot a fleeing unarmed suspect which happened in our county, and the county sheriff's department sent an investigator since it happened within the jurisdiction of the county. The Border Patrol guys got all huffy and said "Hey, we're all cops here, why do we have to answer a bunch of questions?"

It seems to be similar in Texas, where there may be federal, state, and local law enforcement all around the border areas.

There is something to be said for consolidation of resources that a large, unified society can bring about. I don't think the U.S. system is totally centralized, but as long as that centralized government maintains an adherence to the Constitution and Bill of Rights, it will continue to compel the same among the state governments.

Historically, the federal government has had to intervene in state affairs and impose more authority over the states primarily to enforce civil rights. Or there might be other reasons, such as the creation of National Parks and other protected lands, since not doing so could lead to corrupt and/or unscrupulous state governments acting irresponsibly with the land.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

The people who are saying this want abortion bannded. Period full stop. They want abortion banned.

The only reason they want to do it on the State level is that they believe they can get abortion banned at the State level, or at least in some of the States. If and when they think they can get abortion banned at the Federal level they will try to get abortion banned at the Federal level.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

It's a wild take to me for it to be considered "big government" when the federal government limits the lower of state government. This is the opposite of big government: it's a check on state power over the individual.

I agree. Any level of government can be big government if it's powerful enough.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

You think the same for guns and immigration, right?

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member

Well, that's the only feasible way to handle the issue. You'll never get Congress to pass a nationwide abortion law that Dems and Reps will agree on.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

That implies the citizens within any given State are united on the abortion issue, but that is never the case.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Except there was civil war that had slavery as a major point of disagreement. Meaning it wasn't a common cause. Do you think the States should have been free to allow slavery back then?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
No, they can't. People's personal lives are a lot more complex than "I'm just going to abandon literally everything about my life right now to go somewhere else." I've already had my first student who almost had to drop out of college this semester because I live in a slave state (and we don't have ballot initiatives either so in spite of the majority supporting freedom for women, we are now enslaved whether we want to be or not). And we've already had our first women killed by these barbaric policies as well. There will be more.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Except there was civil war that had slavery as a major point of disagreement. Meaning it wasn't a common cause. Do you think the States should have been free to allow slavery back then?

Well, that was part of the whole point, since if they didn't allow those states to have slavery, they wouldn't have joined the Union in the first place. They made compromises in order to bring about the United States under the same Constitution and federal government.

As the country expanded and new states were being formed and seeking admission, they compromised over the expansion of slavery. Those compromises delayed the Civil War, but it got to the point where there could be no more compromising. (But as it turned out, as long as slavery ended on paper, then they went back to compromising again.)

Twilight Hue

No, they can't. People's personal lives are a lot more complex than "I'm just going to abandon literally everything about my life right now to go somewhere else." I've already had my first student who almost had to drop out of college this semester because I live in a slave state (and we don't have ballot initiatives either so in spite of the majority supporting freedom for women, we are now enslaved whether we want to be or not). And we've already had our first women killed by these barbaric policies as well. There will be more.
Well the reality in your atate is simple.

If you don't like it. Move elsewhere where you do.

Same applies to me as well.