• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2 books by Bishop John Shelby Spong

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I love these, still reading them actually. For anyone who has been turned off by the fundamentalist veiw of the Bible and Christianity, these books are for you. Even a non-Christian like me can enjoy these and I now have a better appreciation of the religion.

Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentism: A Bishop Rethinks the Meaning of Scripture, 1991

A New Christianity For A New World: Why Traditional Faith is Dying and How a New Faith is Being Born, 2001

Pah

Uber all member
Maize said:
I love these, still reading them actually. For anyone who has been turned off by the fundamentalist veiw of the Bible and Christianity, these books are for you. Even a non-Christian like me can enjoy these and I now have a better appreciation of the religion.

Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentism: A Bishop Rethinks the Meaning of Scripture, 1991

A New Christianity For A New World: Why Traditional Faith is Dying and How a New Faith is Being Born, 2001

I have them both and agree with your assesment.

-pah-

Pah

Uber all member
Maize said:
Next on my reading list of his is, Why Christianity Must Change or Die. Have you read this one, pah?

No, I don't. Perhaps for two reasons, I won't be getting it.

One, I don't get to shop in the "mega" book stores as they are at a distance. I like to browse the shelves and impulsively buy what I think may be interesting.

Two, I think Spong is becoming somewhat of a "cult" figure and I have a distrust of where cults procede. This is not to say I do not appreciate Spong (in fact, I am now re-reading Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentism).

My newer acquisitions deal with sexuality and the Church but I am always on the lookout for a good book concerning the Constitution.

-pah-

P.S. I love the way our colors go together

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I see. All of my books come from the library, I am at their mercy as to what materials are available lol.

For me, since leaving the Christian church as a teenager, I have largely ignored the Christian faith in my religious studies. However through these books, (and a few others), I have a better understanding of the religion and while I won't be going back to the Christian faith, understanding is always a good thing. :)

I agree with your assessment of Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism...I have it as well and really enjoyed it. Alot of food for thought.

I haven't read any of this other books yet but know I will eventually get around to it.

iwilliam

These are must read books for any open minded individual who to know the truth behind religon. 360 questions to ask Christian,360 questions to ask Sunni and Orthodox Muslims, and 360 questions to ask Hebrew Isralites. All books published by Amunubi Rookataph.

robtex

Veteran Member
Maize thanks for the recommendations. I love reading his essays. I wish more Christians would read his stuff. He is an amazing man when you stop to consider that he is a critic to his religion. That takes a lot of character. Below are three links..the second one is his basic reformation ideas. I haven't read the books but thanks for the tip. About 6 months ago I forwarded the first url (his hompage) to a Christian friend of mine who is gay. He told me 18 months ago that he had really huge issues with the way some Christians viewed his sexual orientation. He took the stuff I sent them to his gay pastor. It is amazing how good it feels to share literature that moves you with others espcially when you see the impact that is has on them.

http://www.dioceseofnewark.org/jsspong/

http://www.dioceseofnewark.org/jsspong/reform.html

http://www.geocities.com/reuther_2000/spong.html