• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2005 Virginia Gubernatorial Election

SoyLeche

meh...
All I can say is that I'll be glad when it's over so we can stop watching all of those stupid mud-slinging adds every commercial break.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
I'm mixing my ticket. Voting for Kaine (D) for Gov, Bolling (R) Lt. Gov & Craig Deeds (D)for Att General (I don't have a choice, the Republican takes money from Pat Robertson (yuck)).

Potts does seems like a good guy though.

SoyLeche said:
All I can say is that I'll be glad when it's over so we can stop watching all of those stupid mud-slinging adds every commercial break.
too bad there's not a candidate who hasnt slung mud.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Sadly, the only reason why politicians run negative attack ads is because they are so effective & if they don't run them, they lose.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
SoyLeche said:
I feel sorry for you guys, your elections seem to last so long (perhaps it's because you are greedy, and have such a vast population). I get fed up with our party politics advertizing on TV here, but it is miniscule compared to yours.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
michel said:
I feel sorry for you guys, your elections seem to last so long (perhaps it's because you are greedy, and have such a vast population). I get fed up with our party politics advertizing on TV here, but it is miniscule compared to yours.

Politics is big business in the United States. Many of these campaigns range into the hundreds of millions of dollars.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
from the richmondtimesdispatch.com

Democrat Tim Kaine elected governor
GOP's Bolling wins lieutenant governor

Democrat Timothy M. Kaine easily defeated Republican Jerry W. Kilgore for governor last night, dealing the GOP a blow in a second consecutive gubernatorial election.

The contest for governor was also a defeat for President Bush, who put his prestige on the line Monday night by making an eleventh-hour campaign stop for Kilgore.

R epublican Bill Bolling of Hanover County, another candidate from the Richmond area, won a narrow victory over Democrat Leslie L. Byrne in the race for lieutenant governor. The race for attorney general appeared headed for a recount, however, with state Sen. R. Creigh Deeds, D-Bath, taking a slim lead over Del. Robert F. McDonnell, R-Virginia Beach, according to an early-morning report from the State Board of Elections.The Kaine victory continues a happenstance that has occurred in every Virginia election since Republican John N. Dalton won in 1977. In the seven gubernatorial elections since, the winning candidate for governor came from a different party than the winner of the presidency a year earlier. Bush carried Virginia handily a year ago.

Accepting congratulations on his victory in a hallway at the Richmond Marriott last night, Kaine embraced his father-in-law, former Republican Gov. Linwood Holton.

Later, in his public speech to a crowd of supporters in the ballroom downstairs, Kaine recalled that Holton and Holton's wife, Jinks, 36 years ago today, "stood on a stage just like this at a difficult time for the commonwealth and promised to move Virginia forward."
He paid a special tribute to Gov. Mark R. Warner, whose "stewardship had saved Virginia from the brink of financial disaster and restored the commonwealth to greatness."

Kaine also thanked former Gov. L. Douglas Wilder, now Richmond's mayor, for his role in the victory.

"Other than the birth of my three kids, there hasn't been a more humbling moment in my life," he said.
to the Virginians in the audience...do you think this win will bolster a possible run by Gov. Mark Warner to the white house? Not that i think he's likely to win but there is some talk about it.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
jewscout said:
from the richmondtimesdispatch.com

to the Virginians in the audience...do you think this win will bolster a possible run by Gov. Mark Warner to the white house? Not that i think he's likely to win but there is some talk about it.

I think and hope it will. Mark Warner is the kind of democrat that really appeals to non-Christian, libertarian conservatives like myself. When the Republicans try to get elected by shouting down abortion and homosexuality, they pretty much lose my support right there and while I disagree with many of Tim Kaine and Mark Warner's politics, I believe that both men have good character and the ability to work with people that disagree with them, to find establish compromise and mutual benefit.

I do have to say that I am just disgusted that McDonnell won. I mean, there is no better representative for what conservatives ought not be than this shmuck and damnit, he got in by like less than 2000 votes. gah! Congratulations to Bolling & Kaine though. Excellent choices Virginia!

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Darkdale said:
I think and hope it will. Mark Warner is the kind of democrat that really appeals to non-Christian, libertarian conservatives like myself. When the Republicans try to get elected by shouting down abortion and homosexuality, they pretty much lose my support right there and while I disagree with many of Tim Kaine and Mark Warner's politics, I believe that both men have good character and the ability to work with people that disagree with them, to find establish compromise and mutual benefit.

I do have to say that I am just disgusted that McDonnell won. I mean, there is no better representative for what conservatives ought not be than this shmuck and damnit, he got in by like less than 2000 votes. gah! Congratulations to Bolling & Kaine though. Excellent choices Virginia!
well Warner won the govenor's race w/ little to no opposition...i don't recall the republicans even getting anything off the ground against him