• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

jewscout

Religious Zionist
what can the dems do to win the white house in 2008?
What can the republicans do to keep it?

robtex

Veteran Member
voter apathy = deomcrats lose. Republicans do two things extremely well .

1) they are organized in campaigning from the lowest levels of goverement to the highest. George Lakoff has always contended that their campaigning meathods are one of their biggest keys to their success.

2) They vote. Republican voters go the polls and they cast their ballot. I get more annoyed year by year everytime I meet a liberal who says he or she "doesn't believe in voting" .....or their vote doesn't count. Mabye by the end of the day or tomarrow I can find stats to back up this statement but I am postulating that repulbicans are more apt to go to the polls at any level, not just the executive level.

Republicians pushed a lot of people to the polls on two issues last year:

1) morality (christian morality)
2) fear

I would guess they will use the strategy again in 2008 as it has done well in the recent past for them.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
The Republicans really need to address the budget deficit and an exit strategy for Iraq. They have ignored 'moderate' Republicans in an attempt to bend over backwards appeasing the fundamentalist 'Religious Right', and there are a lot of us who feel like the party has abandoned us.

That being said, the Democrats need to come up with an affirmative explanation why people should vote for them. The ABB(Anyone but Bush) approach didn't work in 2004, it won't be applicable in '08, and it really offended a lot of moderate Republicans and Conservative Democrats.

If the GOP gets McCain to run, he might be able to bridge the party. If the Dems nominate Hillary, IMHO and mine only at this point:D, whoever the GOP nominates will win handily. The '06 midyear election might be one of the most important in US history in terms of a 'report card' for 2008.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
robtex said:
voter apathy = deomcrats lose. Republicans do two things extremely well .

1) they are organized in campaigning from the lowest levels of goverement to the highest. George Lakoff has always contended that their campaigning meathods are one of their biggest keys to their success.

2) They vote. Republican voters go the polls and they cast their ballot. I get more annoyed year by year everytime I meet a liberal who says he or she "doesn't believe in voting" .....or their vote doesn't count. Mabye by the end of the day or tomarrow I can find stats to back up this statement but I am postulating that repulbicans are more apt to go to the polls at any level, not just the executive level.

Republicians pushed a lot of people to the polls on two issues last year:

1) morality (christian morality)
2) fear

I would guess they will use the strategy again in 2008 as it has done well in the recent past for them.
also the dems tend to let the republicans define the race...like being "Pro-life", i mean who's against life? or letting the republicans define the word "liberal"

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
I think that the best thing the Democrats can do to help there election chances, is to let the Republicans keep blowing there majority in both houses. Let's face it, the Republicans could steam roll any legislation they want, but right now they are being controlled by the democratic minority in both the house and the senate. I think this will bode well for democrats in the next election because it gives the appearance that Republicans don't know how to manage their majority, while democrats are doing a brilliant job of making their minority appear as a majority.

Also, democrats desperately need to find a presidential candidate that appeals to middle America. Right now the front runner appears to Hillary Clinton for the nomination. She will not be able to get it done for obvious reasons (a liberal democrat from New York will not appeal to folks in the Bible belt and the south). If they can find a moderate democrat, with ties to the midwest or south, the odds are dead even in my opinion.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
The Democratic party has to move more toward the center on many issues. They have let some of the smaller groups (with a narrower agenda) control too many of the platforms that define the party. You cannot be all things to all people.

One message that they must get across is that of how the Republican party has become a deficit creating machine. The difference between "Tax and Spend" and "Deficit Spend" is lost on people that don't care about the future, or are willing to accept the long term effects of such a policy.

I also agree with Jewscout - the Republican machine is well oiled, and does a great job of placing labels on it's opposition. The Democrats have shown absolutely no ability to refute much of the mud that the Republican machine slings, while also being totally inept at making their own attacks stick.

I can only hope that the Dems come up with a viable candidate, as I do not think Hillary Clinton is electable. I would have loved to see the Dems put General Wesley Clark up against W in 2000. Perhaps he will run again, with a better campaign for the primaries.

TVOR

seagull

jewscout said:
what can the dems do to win the white house in 2008?
What can the republicans do to keep it?
I'm looking forward to 2006 and getting rid of that embarrassment of a US leader Tom DeLay.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
seagull said:
I'm looking forward to 2006 and getting rid of that embarrassment of a US leader Tom DeLay.
Delay is the pluperfect example of institutionalized power. Mitch McConnell (Republican from Kentucky) and Robert Byrd (Democrat from WVA) are two more prime examples.

All three of these men (and many others) are exactly why we should have term limits in Congress.

TVOR