• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30+ examples of male privilege

Galen.Iksnudnard

30+ Examples of Male Privilege

Following is a list of male privileges. If you are male (and a man), listed below are benefits that result from being born with that gender and sex. If you identify as a man, there’s a good chance you’ve never thought about these things. Try and be more cognizant of these privileges in your daily life and you’ll understand how much work we have to do to make for a society that is equitable to all people, regardless of their gender.

1. If you have a bad day or are in a bad mood, people aren’t going to blame it on your sex
  2. You can be careless with your money and now have people blame it on your sex
  3. You can be a careless driver and not have people blame it on your sex
  4. You can be confident that your coworkers won’t assume you were hired because of your sex
  5. If you are never promoted, it isn’t because of your sex
  6. You can expect to be paid equitably for the work you do, and not paid less because of your sex
  7. If you are unable to succeed in your career, that won’t be seen as evidence against your sex in the workplace
  8. A decision to hire you won’t be based on whether or not the employer assumes you will be having children in the near future
  9. Work comfortably (or walk down a public street) without the fear of sexual harassment
  10. Walk alone at night without the fear of being raped or otherwise harmed
  11. Go on a date with a stranger without the fear of being raped
  12. Dress how you want and not worry you it will be used as a defense if you are raped
  13. If you are straight, you are not likely to be abused by your partner, or to be told to continue living in an abusive household for your children
  14. You can decide not to have children and not have your masculinity questioned
  15. If you choose to have children, you will praised for caring for your children, instead of being expected to be the full-time caretaker
  16. Balance a career and a family without being called selfish for not staying at home (or being constantly pressured to stay at home)
  17. If you are straight and decide to have children with your partner, you can assume this will not affect your career
  18. If you rise to prominence in an organization/role, no one will assume it is because you slept your way to the top
  19. You can seek political office without having your sex be a part of your platform
  20. You can seek political office without fear of your relationship with your children, or who you hire to take care of them, being scrutinized by the press
  21. Most political representatives share your sex, particularly the higher-ups
  22. Get on my mailing list! Your political officials fight for issues that pertain to your sex
  23. You can ask for the “person in charge” and will likely be greeted by a member of your sex
  24. As a child, you were able to find plenty of non-limiting, gender role stereotyped media to view
  25. You can not care about your appearance without worrying about about being criticized at work or in social situations
  26. You can spend time on your appearance without having people criticizing you for upholding unhealthy gender norms
  27. If you’re not conventionally attractive (or in shape), you don’t have to worry as much about that negatively affecting your potential
  28. You are not pressured by peers and society to be thin as much as the opposite sex
  29. You’re not expected to spend excessive amounts of money on grooming, style, and appearance to fit in, while making less money than the opposite sex
  30. Have promiscuous sex and be viewed positively for it
  31. You can go to a car dealership or mechanic and assume you’ll get a fair deal and not be taken advantage of
  32. Expressions and conventional language reflects your sex (e.g., mailman, “all men are created equal”)
  33. Every major religion in the world is led by individuals of your sex
  34. You can practice religion without subjugating yourself or thinking of yourself as less because of your sex
  35. You are less likely to be interrupted than members of the opposite sex

I'm putting this list up because I think that despite all the advances we've made since the 60's, America and many European countries are still patriarchal societies. True equality between the sexes can only be brought about by bringing down these misogynist stereotypes which ultimately are embedded in social constructs of gender along with the rest of the inequality-maintaining power structure.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
30+ Examples of Male Privilege

I'm putting this list up because I think that despite all the advances we've made since the 60's, America and many European countries are still patriarchal societies. True equality between the sexes can only be brought about by bringing down these misogynist stereotypes which ultimately are embedded in social constructs of gender along with the rest of the inequality-maintaining power structure.

I think the list is largely adequate. Some points are beginning to erode with the millenial generation (some are beginning to catch on to rape culture and are actively seeking ways to eliminate it). But overall, not bad. I'd read this before on FB, and I "liked" it too. :D

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I have to ask... what is "rape culture?" I've heard this phrase bandied about on occasion and have no idea what it's referring to.

Maybe that's a good thing.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I have to ask... what is "rape culture?" I've heard this phrase bandied about on occasion and have no idea what it's referring to.

Maybe that's a good thing.

Any culture that tends to place more responsibility on the victim of rape than the perpetrator, and that acknowledges the profound negative impact of the crime yet turns a blind eye to the pervasiveness of it.

Plus, many awareness measures surrounding rape tend to be more focused on "how not to get raped" instead of "how not to rape anybody." It is less concerned with informed consent, and instead chooses to place the onus on potential victims for learning self-defense, carrying pepper spray, or not walking in certain areas or dressing modestly to prevent somebody from losing control.

Finally, rape culture allows legislators and law enforcement officials to botch rape kits and evidence of the crime as well as utilize an accusors sexual history as evidence of the accused level of innocence.

Basically, rape culture states that rape is bad, but the victim either wanted it or didn't do enough to prevent it.

Not, that rape is bad, and people shouldn't rape other people. Rape culture acknowledges that rape is inevitable, not that it is a crime where the criminals need to be held accountable.

challupa

Any culture that tends to place more responsibility on the victim of rape than the perpetrator, and that acknowledges the profound negative impact of the crime yet turns a blind eye to the pervasiveness of it.

Plus, many awareness measures surrounding rape tend to be more focused on "how not to get raped" instead of "how not to rape anybody." It is less concerned with informed consent, and instead chooses to place the onus on potential victims for learning self-defense, carrying pepper spray, or not walking in certain areas or dressing modestly to prevent somebody from losing control.

Finally, rape culture allows legislators and law enforcement officials to botch rape kits and evidence of the crime as well as utilize an accusors sexual history as evidence of the accused level of innocence.

Basically, rape culture states that rape is bad, but the victim either wanted it or didn't do enough to prevent it.

Not, that rape is bad, and people shouldn't rape other people. Rape culture acknowledges that rape is inevitable, not that it is a crime where the criminals need to be held accountable.
Yes, a good example is rapists get less time than someone who deals drugs. Makes no sense to me, but there it is.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

I guess I haven't seen this called "rape culture" very much. I don't keep up with all the fancy lingo used to talk about things on the interwebz. *laughs*

Regardless, I'm not a fan of how most folks approach these sorts of issues. I approach it as the scientist: I look at all causal variables and how they contributed to the fixed outcome, be it the victim's behavior, the perpetrator's behavior, the behavior of bystanders, cultural influences, or environmental factors. For making policy, I'd think it sensible to look at all of these causal variables. Focus on the ones that have the highest causal contribution, regardless of what they are. Granted things like that are not always straightforward to assess, at least not objectively.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
One i thought of earlier today is, when it comes to the right to go topless, i've heard, several times, how some men will joke about being in favor of women having the right to go topless just so they can entertain the fantasy of oggling breasts while walking down the street. That is that they seem to only or primarily be interested in it for the pleasure it can provide them, rather than actual care for a woman's rights.

Now not saying that this is how they actually feel or that this is necesarily an idea held among male supporters... It's just a joke i commonly hear expressed that really gets to me.

challupa

One i thought of earlier today is, when it comes to the right to go topless, i've heard, several times, how some men will joke about being in favor of women having the right to go topless just so they can entertain the fantasy of oggling breasts while walking down the street. That is that they seem to only or primarily be interested in it for the pleasure it can provide them, rather than actual care for a woman's rights.

Now not saying that this is how they actually feel or that this is necesarily an idea held among male supporters... It's just a joke i commonly hear expressed that really gets to me.

I'm not sure many men have ever really thought much about rights for women. They agree we should have rights, but I don't think they think about what they should be. That's been my experience anyway. A lot of what men do seems to be unconscious based on what's always been done. It's only when women bring it to their attention, that they think about it and make a decision on whether they agree or not.

Wherenextcolumbus

Yes there are men who think like this, they also believe in a woman's right to be promiscuous so they can f them, a woman's right to be prostituted so they can use them and also sexually assault and rape them and have many people doubting it was rape because he paid for it, they also believe in a woman's right to strip so they can frequent strip clubs and be catered to, which is why sex positive feminists need to be extremely weary when they get so much support from men, those men need to be questioned.