• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

72 virgins??

As3ad

>>PrOUd leBaNesE MusLiM<<
The idea of a man getting 72 virgins in heaven never convinced me so I asked about it and noone seemed to believe in it. I'm talking about a society that has practiced Islam in centuries and some of the people I asked are very religious and have in depth knowledge of Islam. And I asked people from 3 different generations...

The idea that a man gets 72 virgins is not mentioned in the Quran and it is supported by one hadith that is WEAK. The Quran talks abou Hour el-Ein and the prophet (PBUH) mentionned them also...but we don't exactly know what their role is.
I think that this idea of 72 virgins is just WRONG.

.lava

Veteran Member
entire heaven is untouched. but saying 72 virgins would be there for each men? that just sounds weird and IMO whoever cares for these kind of stuff loves women more than he loves God. if you want Allah, if you want to reach Allah, you earn heaven. heaven is to be with Allah. so pathetic to know there are many men who think of virgins and perform salaat just to gain satisfaction for ego. no chance. besides, heaven is not built for men alone.

heard it was a mistranslation of grapes
but ye its odd that they don't specify male female or even if there human virgins, would be funny if there porcupine virgins

As3ad

>>PrOUd leBaNesE MusLiM<<
Exactly, nothing in Islam indicates that a man will have many wives and virgins and I don't know what else.

I am just surprised that so many muslims have this misconception. I only found out about this on foreign muslim forums and it is also used by those who hate Islam to try to show others that Islam is misguiding people...when in fact all this nonsense really has nothing to do with the Islamic teachings.

.lava

Veteran Member
Exactly, nothing in Islam indicates that a man will have many wives and virgins and I don't know what else.

I am just surprised that so many muslims have this misconception. I only found out about this on foreign muslim forums and it is also used by those who hate Islam to try to show others that Islam is misguiding people...when in fact all this nonsense really has nothing to do with the Islamic teachings.

yes. purifying your nafs/ego is like spine of Islamic teachings. lust is not a virtue either. as you may know, every person is hunted by his own ego. if a man was blinded by that idea of virgins, it is only because he did not really deserve heaven yet. interesting. thank God, there is no irony in wisdom.

herushura

72 virgins = 72 years, if the sun passes Virgo 72 times it would be 72 years
or 72 Hours that equals 3 days. The Soltice days.

72 (number) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
From wiki below
The conventional number of scholars translating the Septuagint, according to the legendary account in the "Letter of Aristeas".
The conventional number of disciples sent forth by Jesus in Luke 10 in some manuscripts (seventy in others).
The number of names of God, according to Kabbalah (see names of God in Judaism).
The Shemhamphorasch related to the number of the names of God.
The total number of books in the Holy Bible in the Catholic version if the Book of Lamentations is considered part of the Book of Jeremiah.
The number of warriors on the Muslim side at the Battle of Badr.
The number of people martyred along with Imam Hussain at the Battle of Karbala.
The number of soldiers who will fight alongside Imam Mahdi against the Dajjal, according to Islamic ahadith.
The number of devils according to The Lesser Key of Solomon.

There are 72 skulls on the necklace of Kali, Hindu Goddess of Destruction In Egyptian mythology: The 72 Assassins of the dark god Set clamped the lid shut on the coffin in which Osiris was trapped- then murdered.

72 degrees = 1 month/ 1 zodiac (Virgo)
72 is also the Sacred number for the Pentagram, 72*5=360

Last edited:
1. Hoor mentioned in the Quran
The word hoor occurs in the Qur&#8217;an in no less than four different places:
In Surah Dukhan chapter 44, verse 54
&#8220;Moreover, We shall join them to companions With beautiful, big and lustrous eyes.&#8221; [Al-Quran 44:54]
In Surah Al-Tur chapter 52 verse 20
&#8220;...And We shall join them to companions, with beautiful, big and lustrous eyes.&#8221; [Al-Quran 52:20]
In Surah Rahman chapter 55 verse 72
&#8220;Companions restrained (as to their glances), in goodly pavilions.&#8221; [Al-Quran 55:72]
In Surah Al-Waqiah chapter 56 verse 22
&#8220;And (there will be) companions with beautiful, big and lustrous eyes.&#8221; [Al-Quran 56:22]
2. Hoor Translated as Beautiful Maidens
Many translators of the Quran have translated the word hoor as &#8216;beautiful maidens&#8217; especially in the Urdu translations. If hoor means &#8216;beautiful maidens&#8217; or girls, then they are meant only for the men. Hence, what will the women get if they enter Paradise?

3. Meaning of Hoor
The word hoor is actually the plural of ahwar (applicable to man) and of haura (applicable to woman) and signifies a person having eyes characterized by hauar a special quality bestowed upon a good soul, male or female in paradise and it denotes the intense whiteness of the white part of the spiritual eye.

The Quran describes in several other verses that in paradise you will have azwaj which mean a pair or spouse or companion which means you will have spouses or companions pure and holy (mutaharratun means pure, holy).

&#8220;But give glad tidings to those who believe and work righteousness, that their portion is gardens, beneath which rivers flow. Every time they are fed with fruit there from, they say: &#8220;Why, this is what we were fed with before&#8221;, for they are given things in similitude; and they have therein companions pure (and holy); and they abide therein (forever)&#8221;. [Al-Quran 2:25]

&#8220;But those who believe and do deeds of righteousness, We shall soon admit to Gardens, with rivers flowing beneath - their eternal home; therein shall they have companions pure and holy: we shall admit them to shades, cool and ever deepening&#8221;. [Al-Quran 4:57]

Therefore the word hoor has no specific gender. Mohammad Asad has translated the word hoor as spouse and Abdullah Yusuf Ali as companion. Therefore according to some scholars a man in paradise will have a hoor that is a beautiful maiden with beautiful big and lustrous eyes and a woman in paradise will get a man with beautiful big and lustrous eyes.

4. Women will get something exceptional in Paradise
Many scholars say that in context, the word hoor used in the Quran refers only to ladies since gents are addressed. A reply that would be accepted by all types of people would rather be the answer given in the Hadith when a similar question was posed that if a man gets a hoor, a beautiful Maiden in Paradise, then what will the women get? The reply was that the women will get that which the heart has not desired for, the ear hasn&#8217;t heard off and the eye hasn&#8217;t seen, indicating that even the women will get something exceptional in

I don't understand why you are ashamed of it. The quran does mention the virgins in Jannah. The way Allah talks and gives discriptions on the hoor is not equivilant to that of a grape of fruit.

Well the virgins are made to love you, just as angels love to worship their lord.
It's not a woman from this earth but a woman made for you in heaven and this is btw, only for the martyrs who sacrificed their life[Suicide bombers not included...Pity shame for them]

Union

1. Hoor mentioned in the Quran
The word hoor occurs in the Qur’an in no less than four different places:
In Surah Dukhan chapter 44, verse 54
“Moreover, We shall join them to companions With beautiful, big and lustrous eyes.” [Al-Quran 44:54]
In Surah Al-Tur chapter 52 verse 20
“...And We shall join them to companions, with beautiful, big and lustrous eyes.” [Al-Quran 52:20]
In Surah Rahman chapter 55 verse 72
“Companions restrained (as to their glances), in goodly pavilions.” [Al-Quran 55:72]
In Surah Al-Waqiah chapter 56 verse 22
“And (there will be) companions with beautiful, big and lustrous eyes.” [Al-Quran 56:22]
2. Hoor Translated as Beautiful Maidens
Many translators of the Quran have translated the word hoor as ‘beautiful maidens’ especially in the Urdu translations. If hoor means ‘beautiful maidens’ or girls, then they are meant only for the men. Hence, what will the women get if they enter Paradise?

3. Meaning of Hoor
The word hoor is actually the plural of ahwar (applicable to man) and of haura (applicable to woman) and signifies a person having eyes characterized by hauar a special quality bestowed upon a good soul, male or female in paradise and it denotes the intense whiteness of the white part of the spiritual eye.

The Quran describes in several other verses that in paradise you will have azwaj which mean a pair or spouse or companion which means you will have spouses or companions pure and holy (mutaharratun means pure, holy).

“But give glad tidings to those who believe and work righteousness, that their portion is gardens, beneath which rivers flow. Every time they are fed with fruit there from, they say: “Why, this is what we were fed with before”, for they are given things in similitude; and they have therein companions pure (and holy); and they abide therein (forever)”. [Al-Quran 2:25]

“But those who believe and do deeds of righteousness, We shall soon admit to Gardens, with rivers flowing beneath - their eternal home; therein shall they have companions pure and holy: we shall admit them to shades, cool and ever deepening”. [Al-Quran 4:57]

Therefore the word hoor has no specific gender. Mohammad Asad has translated the word hoor as spouse and Abdullah Yusuf Ali as companion. Therefore according to some scholars a man in paradise will have a hoor that is a beautiful maiden with beautiful big and lustrous eyes and a woman in paradise will get a man with beautiful big and lustrous eyes.

4. Women will get something exceptional in Paradise
Many scholars say that in context, the word hoor used in the Quran refers only to ladies since gents are addressed. A reply that would be accepted by all types of people would rather be the answer given in the Hadith when a similar question was posed that if a man gets a hoor, a beautiful Maiden in Paradise, then what will the women get? The reply was that the women will get that which the heart has not desired for, the ear hasn’t heard off and the eye hasn’t seen, indicating that even the women will get something exceptional in

I don't understand why you are ashamed of it. The quran does mention the virgins in Jannah. The way Allah talks and gives discriptions on the hoor is not equivilant to that of a grape of fruit.

Impressing ! Makes a lot of senses . Thanks for sharing your clean insight . :)

Omgosh, I think it's so silly that some Muslim men have such lusty desires to actually believe that there are 72 virgins in Paradise... it's not even in the Qur'an!

As I asked my friend in high school at the mosque,

"Why is it that people keep talking about having seventy-two virgins when it's not in the Qur'an?"
Arbab: *grins* "Because God knows what we need and want!" :D

Pervert... >__>

Wills191

Male or Female virgins? :D

In all seriousness who wants that? isn't the ideal to love one person for life. Not 72.