• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A couple of questions about the UU

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Peace4all said:
Just one question about the UU: Can any person from any religion can put the label of UU?

We welcome people from all religions who UU has something to offer them, yes.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Peace4all said:
Just one question about the UU: Can any person from any religion can put the label of UU?
I'm not sure what you're asking.

As Maize said, we welcome people from all different religious persuasions to our congregations. I know several people who attend UU congregations and still maintain ties with their other religious traditions. For example, several friends who also go to synagogue, or who go to Buddhist temples, etc.

But I'm not sure that's the same thing as saying that people from any religion "can put the label of UU." I'm not sure what the point is of just calling oneself UU if you've never been part of a UU congregation and have no intention of doing so.

We are not a credal religion, that is we don't define ourselves by a required set of beliefs. Rather, as Davidium likes to say, we are a covenantal religion, that is our religion is based on the recognition of our sacred relationship with each other. A Christian can say he's christian because he believes that Christ is his savior, even if he's not part of a church. A Muslim can say she's a Muslim because she professes the Shahadah, even if she's not part of a mosque. But a UU can't say that he's a UU based on any particular beliefs. So it's hard to say what a UU is unless the person has some relationship with other UUs.

Of course, if someone wants to call themselves a UU but have nothing to do with our congregations I certainly am not going to try to stop them. :) I just personally don't understand what the point is.