• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Main Point of Difference Between Christianity and Buddhism

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
In his book, Beyond Belief, AL De Silva, in the chapter titled 'Buddhism-The Logical Alternative', states:

Christianity is based upon certain supposed historical events (the virgin birth, the resurrection, etc.), the only record of which is an allegedly reliable document called the Bible. If these events can be shown to have never occurred or if the documents recording these events can be shown to be unreliable, the Christianity will collapse. In this book we have shown that Christian claims are at best highly doubtful and at worst demonstrably wrong. When we examine the teachings of the Buddha we find an entirely different situation. Even if we were able to prove that the Buddha never existed or that there are mistakes in the Buddhist scriptures this would not necessarily undermine Buddhism. Why is this? Because Buddhism is not primarily about the historical Buddha or about events which happened in the past; rather, it is about human suffering, what causes that suffering, and how it can be overcome so that humans can be free, happy, and radiant. If we wish to understand or verify Buddhism we would not have to flip through scriptures squabbling about the meaning of various words or phrases. Rather, we become sensitive to our own experiences.
Christianity is based solely on metaphysical speculation, the results of which cannot be verified, and only benefited from after death. Buddhism, on the other hand, is based on a logical approach to the reality of existence, the practice of which can be experienced and benefited from in the here and now. Buddhism is more pragmatic, while Christianity is more speculative. The reason why, if it was proven the Buddha never existed, or if there are mistakes in our scriptures, Buddhism would still go on, and has for the last 2500 years, is simply that the teaching and practices in Buddhism work. Millions of people throughout the ages have experienced the bliss and joy of having relieved their suffering. Millions have gained the wisdom that comes from enlightenment. And it still goes on today. Does Christianity have any immediate, non-speculative and non-metaphysical, pragmatic and practical benefits like this? Any thoughts on the quote?

nnmartin

How could it be proved that events 2000 years ago did not happen?

Unless someone builds a time machine which I'm sure is impossible then they never can be.

As for me I believe in higher planes of existence - this is where the actual events in the Bible occurred anyway so science is irrelevant really.

As for the here and now benefits I disagree with you that there aren't any. A serious study of the Bible and Christian spiritual beliefs uncovers a great array of philosophical insight and practical help for living an emotionally balanced life.

There is of course also the 'joy of faith' which is hard to convey to others through the pen - but this certainly gives a day to day benefit to the living.

Last edited:

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
nnmartin said:

The point isn't that the events can or cannot be proven; it's that if they could, this is the likely outcome. It's meant to show the more pragmatic nature of Buddhism over the more speculative approach of Christianity.

As for the here and now benefits I disagree with you that there aren't any. A serious study of the Bible and Christian spiritual beliefs uncovers a great array of philosophical insight and practical help for living an emotionally balanced life.
This only goes so far. Christianity has alot of 'do's' and 'don'ts', and such and such mindset is preferable over this other mindset, but gives no practical steps to take in achieving these goals. Christianity has a great moral system, but gives no way in which to further one's development in it. Buddhism, on the other hand, has a clear cut system, with goals and practices to help achieve those goals each step of the way, and which also works as a guide in helping one see how far they've come, and how far they have left to go. For instance, Christianity teaches that lust is a sin, a vice. This is all well and good, but it gives no advice on how to overcome lust. Buddhism says lust is a vice, tells us why it is, what mindset cultivates lust, and then gives practical steps on how to change that mindset.

There is of course also the 'joy of faith' which is hard to convey to others through the pen - but this certainly gives a day to day benefit to the living.
Where does this joy spring from? A sense of hope, or a sense of accomplishment? Hope implies that our faith now will spring future results, which may or may not actually happen, while in Buddhism, the joy, or happiness, or whatever else you want to call it, is based not on faith, but on practice, and immediate visible results. Joy from hope is based on what might be, joy from accomplishment is based on what is. This, to me, gives us a more practical guideline for living.

nnmartin

I agree with a lot of what you are saying and in a way it is the study of Buddhism that inspired me to look at Christianity again in a fresh light. I myself had grown a little tired of the do's and don'ts and general preaching of the Bible but have realised now, with the aid of Buddhist spiritual philosophy that these codes are more flexible than they at first appear.

I agree that there is not a great deal of psychological reasoning in the Bible but there are of course other Christian books that go into this or you can just gain this knowledge from other sources and then incorporate it back into Christianity.

I'd say that Christianity is much more flexible and spiritual than a lot of people give it credit for.:)

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Unless someone builds a time machine which I'm sure is impossible then they never can be.
The ancients kept records, and they left artifacts. If the Bible says some major, society-shaking event happened, a universal census or a massacre of children, for example, and we find no mention of this in anyone's letters or records, we can assume taffy is being distributed.
If one source reports events in various places, or in places that didn't exist at the time, and all other records report these events differently or elsewhere, the first source should be viewed skeptically.

Christianity strikes me as a religion of compulsion with a threat and reward mindset. Its focus is on the afterlife. Follow the proper rules and believe the proper things and you will live in some vague, idealized Heaven after death. Disbelief and wrong actions, on the other hand, will land you in a lake of fire

Buddhism, on the other hand, is a psychotherapeutic modality. It's goal is to maximize happiness and eventually reach enlightenment.

Last edited by a moderator:

idav

Being
Premium Member
Any thoughts on the quote?
I agree with much of the quote but there is much value in the NT without having to take the alleged miracles seriously. It is that mainstream Christianity uses those miracles as a fundamental. To me the reasoning behind focusing on the death of Jesus rather than his life is a travesty. However as soon as soon as it is looked at metaphorically it becomes a lot closer to Buddhism in a way that a person is worth something with the potential of getting passed our many weaknesses.

cablescavenger

In his book, Beyond Belief, AL De Silva, in the chapter titled 'Buddhism-The Logical Alternative', states:

Christianity is based solely on metaphysical speculation, the results of which cannot be verified, and only benefited from after death. Buddhism, on the other hand, is based on a logical approach to the reality of existence, the practice of which can be experienced and benefited from in the here and now. Buddhism is more pragmatic, while Christianity is more speculative. The reason why, if it was proven the Buddha never existed, or if there are mistakes in our scriptures, Buddhism would still go on, and has for the last 2500 years, is simply that the teaching and practices in Buddhism work. Millions of people throughout the ages have experienced the bliss and joy of having relieved their suffering. Millions have gained the wisdom that comes from enlightenment. And it still goes on today. Does Christianity have any immediate, non-speculative and non-metaphysical, pragmatic and practical benefits like this? Any thoughts on the quote?

Early Christians were Gnostics, and inner enlightenment was their thing. If you want to know more, listen to the
gospel of Thomas it sounds more Buddhist than the Christianity we know through the Bible.

[youtube]YqQUHXfqR6I[/youtube]

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member

Christianity is based upon certain supposed historical events (the virgin birth, the resurrection, etc.), the only record of which is an allegedly reliable document called the Bible. If these events can be shown to have never occurred or if the documents recording these events can be shown to be unreliable, the Christianity will collapse.

Long post short, I don't care for the generalizations about what IS Christianity and what it's about, as I don't feel represented by many of the comments.

Below is a very good post and would say I'm a better Christian, because of practicing Buddha-Dharma.

I'd say that Christianity is much more flexible and spiritual than a lot of people give it credit for.:)

Thanks for ALL your post... but particularly this line. I DO feel represented by this.

Christianity strikes me as a religion of compulsion with a threat and reward mindset. Its focus is on the afterlife. Follow the proper rules and believe the proper things and you will live in some vague, idealized Heaven after death. Disbelief and wrong actions, on the other hand, will land you in a lake of fire.

Definitely understandable how Christianity could strike you that way.....
But I'm one practitioner who'll never hit you, my Friend.

:namaste

blackout

Violet.
Any Gnostic or Esoteric interpretations of the Christian Mythology
would not be undermined.

It is only literalistic versions/(mis)interpretations of the Christian Mythos
that would collapse.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I agree with a lot of what you are saying and in a way it is the study of Buddhism that inspired me to look at Christianity again in a fresh light. I myself had grown a little tired of the do's and don'ts and general preaching of the Bible but have realised now, with the aid of Buddhist spiritual philosophy that these codes are more flexible than they at first appear.

I agree that there is not a great deal of psychological reasoning in the Bible but there are of course other Christian books that go into this or you can just gain this knowledge from other sources and then incorporate it back into Christianity.

I also agree with this comment overal. Catholicism gave me a lot of good tools for moral and psychological structuring and understanding with my cathesism books. I would believe buddhism to be far more thourough with it, but I still feel I gain good pearls from my christian roots.

Edit: I also think I am myuch closer to God/understanding/love/myself when I am a moral person than when I am not, and this was never a far seen goal when I was a christian. It was a daily realization, inspiration and discovery.

I do agree to much of what I have seen of christianity focuses on long term goals, but from Guayaquil I can tell you catholicism at least here is very much involved in the now.

Last edited:

nnmartin

Hope implies that our faith now will spring future results, which may or may not actually happen, while in Buddhism, the joy, or happiness, or whatever else you want to call it, is based not on faith, but on practice, and immediate visible results. Joy from hope is based on what might be, joy from accomplishment is based on what is. This, to me, gives us a more practical guideline for living.

There are many practical guidelines for living in the Bible - especially in the Gospels.

Many of the parables contain very useful philosophical advice - useful for the here and now for sure.

Also, I feel that a lot of the teachings of Jesus are very similar to that in Buddhism. (even more so when you branch into Mystical Christianity)

rusra02

Premium Member

A primary difference between [true] Christianity and Buddhism is that Christianity
helps us to draw close to the one true God. Buddhism does not. (John 17:3 in the Holy Scriptures)
It is not true that "Christianity is based solely on metaphysical speculation, the results of which cannot be verified, and only benefited from after death."
Rather, true Christianity is based on concrete realities and greatly benefits us now and in the future. Knowing the truth about God, why we suffer, and having the hope for an eternal future are priceless blessings.
Knowing the true God and his purpose allows us to use our life now in the most productive way, and frees us from superstition. (1 Timothy 4:8, John 8:32)
Jesus famous talk or sermon on the mountain recorded in Matthew 5-7 in the Holy Scriptures shows the practical value of knowing the true God and how to make life better now.
Japan's Mainichi Daily News quoted Buddhist leader Eshin Watanabe as saying;"You should ponder on whether your beliefs are right or wrong. It is important ot review their relationship to other beliefs. You should also think whether they represent truth or not. We must examine these things again."
Good advice, that, regardless of what our beliefs are.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
A primary difference between [true] Christianity and Buddhism is that Christianity
helps us to draw close to the one true God. Buddhism does not. (John 17:3 in the Holy Scriptures)

I won't get into that here.

It is not true that "Christianity is based solely on metaphysical speculation, the results of which cannot be verified, and only benefited from after death."
Rather, true Christianity is based on concrete realities and greatly benefits us now and in the future. Knowing the truth about God, why we suffer, and having the hope for an eternal future are priceless blessings.

What "concrete realities" are Christianity based on? And how does Christianity "benefit us now"?

Knowing the true God and his purpose allows us to use our life now in the most productive way, and frees us from superstition. (1 Timothy 4:8, John 8:32)
Jesus famous talk or sermon on the mountain recorded in Matthew 5-7 in the Holy Scriptures shows the practical value of knowing the true God and how to make life better now.

All the Sermon on the Mount does is verify that certain actions are vice, and describes blessings which those who believe can hope to receive. For instance, since I used lust earlier in the thread, I'll use it here. The Bible says "do not lust." Jesus clarified what lust is in the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew chapter 5. But, for one who, before believing, was someone for whom lust was a big part of their life, how, according to the Bible, does one actually learn to refrain from lust? In other words, the Bible says "do not lust", but does it say how?

Japan's Mainichi Daily News quoted Buddhist leader Eshin Watanabe as saying;"You should ponder on whether your beliefs are right or wrong. It is important ot review their relationship to other beliefs. You should also think whether they represent truth or not. We must examine these things again."
Good advice, that, regardless of what our beliefs are.

Agreed. :)

nnmartin

how, according to the Bible, does one actually learn to refrain from lust? In other words, the Bible says "do not lust", but does it say how?

It doesn't say how to avoid lust - I guess that is where extra material is needed.

Personally I use the Buddhist philosophy of 'avoiding obsession' here.

Lust comes from either having too much or not enough of something - therefore get the correct balance and you should be fine.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
These are two sermons given at the Anglican Church I attended in Toronto.
They post the sermons on their website.
If more documenting is needed, I'll gladly share the link/congregation etc...

But I post these because:
1. This talks about the language/translation of the Sermon on the Mount.
IE: 'How tuned into God's Ways'
And
2. The second sermon because it talks about the Rules/What to do/Trust/ Fear of Biblical Laws, Teachings of Jesus etc... and how they are best embraced and seen through/with/in Love.

Sermon #1

All Saints and All Souls – November 6, 2011

How Blessed You Are When….

I was talking to the children earlier this morning about the great crowd of saints and sinners who are part of God’s community, the church. I showed them the hanging in the chapel, made by the artist Doris McCarthy, depicting all the different people streaming down towards the church, from St Aidan himself to a bishop, an old lady, a pair of wrestling boys, an Inuit child, and so on.

At the celebration of All Saints and All Souls we recall them all: the saints, the sinners, the ordinary people; those we’ve known personally and loved, and those we’ve only heard of. They’re all included in today’s parade and celebration.

And we too are invited to be part of the parade. St Paul called the Christians in the early church communities “the saints.”

I remember when I was a teenager my parish priest said to me, “Lucy, you’re called to be a saint.” And I was flattered, thinking he was complimenting me on my piety. But he wasn’t: he was telling me what we all need to hear – that we’re each meant to be God’s saints, God’s dedicated, imperfect, open-hearted people, letting the light of Christ shine out of our lives.

When Jesus sat down and taught the crowds what we now called the Beatitudes, he was describing the characteristics of those who live in God’s way, as God’s people. He didn’t describe perfect, impossible-to-follow, pious goody-goodies, he talked about the poor in spirit, the meek, the hungry and thirsty, the persecuted.

At first glance it reads like a list of the down-trodden and most insignificant. And that was part of his upside-down gospel: that the kingdom of heaven doesn’t belong to the rich and powerful and confident, but to those who have enough space in their hearts and minds to let God in. If you’re full of yourself, there’s no space for God. Whereas, as one translation says, “How blessed are those who know their need of God,” because then they can let God in.

So each Beatitude is also describing a way of being for each one of us, not just a type of person.

One author who has worked on understanding the Beatitudes in this light is Neil Douglas Klotz. In his book, Prayers of the Cosmos he studies the original Aramaic form, and offers these insights:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven,” can mean, “How blessed you are, how tuned in to God’s way, when you get out of the way and empty yourself and make space for God. You will find yourself already living in the kingdom of heaven.” Or, as The Message version of the Bible paraphrases it, “You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule.”

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted,” can mean, “How blessed you are, how tuned in to God’s way, when you let yourself be vulnerable enough to feel sorrow and empathy. You will discover the strength of God’s embrace.”

“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth,” can mean, “How blessed you are, how tuned in to God’s way, when you let go of pride and ego and just take your place in the universe.” Or, as The Message puts it, “You’re blessed when you’re content with just who you are—no more, no less.”

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled,” can mean, “How blessed you are, how tuned in to God’s way, when you long for justice and work for it, for you will see the fruits of your labours.”

“Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy, “ can mean, “How blessed you are, how tuned in to God’s way, when you act compassionately and learn how to forgive. As you sow, you will also reap.”

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God, “ can mean, “How blessed you are, how tuned in to God’s way, when your heart is wide and open, for you will see God in everything and everyone.” Or, as The Message puts it, “You’re blessed when you get your inside world—your mind and heart—put right. Then you can see God in the outside world.”

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the children of God,” can mean, “How blessed you are, how in tune with the way of God, when you are committed to planting seeds of peace at all times, for then you’re reflecting the very nature of God.”

“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven,” can mean, “How blessed you are, how in tune with the way of God, when you are attacked for seeking justice. You will find your true home in God.” In The Message: “The persecution drives you even deeper into God’s kingdom.” And it goes on to say, “Not only that—count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens—give a cheer, even!—for though they don’t like [what you’re doing] I do! And all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble.”

We live our lives in the company of a great cloud of witnesses – all the saints, known and anonymous, and all those we’ve loved but see no longer, who’ve walked the way of death to new life before us. They’re cheering us on! They’re applauding, as we learn more and more how to be in tune with the way of God.

Our greatest role model is Christ, and it’s through the working of the Holy Spirit in our lives that we can become like him.

So ponder the Beatitudes today. Which blessing do you need most? The ability to get out of the way and make room for God? Vulnerability? Passion for justice? The willingness to forgive? Ask God for that blessing, and you will receive. Then practise! One way or another, all the Beatitudes are about opening our hearts wider to God, like a flower opens to the sun – without anxiety or pride or any motive other than to live more fully in the light of God’s grace. Then we’ll be saints. Not perfect, but softened, more spacious, with less of us and more of God.

Amen.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Sermon #2

Pentecost 16, 2011,

Law and Love

David and I adopted a puppy from the Humane Society 2 weeks ago. She’s three and a half months old, and we were told she’s a German shepherd / Huskie cross. We think there are probably some other breeds in there, too, including beagle. It’s been fun seeing the different breeds jockeying for position as she grows up.

Having a puppy again after about 14 years with adult dogs certainly makes you think about obedience and rules. Nikita’s doing very well, but I’ve been pondering how best we should train her. And I’ve been deeply thankful that this is a dog-friendly parish, with a rectory that has a huge yard and fencing all round it. It makes life with a puppy much easier! And the fence got me thinking about the readings today.

The ten commandments that God gave Moses for the children of Israel are like a strong fence. They were meant to keep the Israelites from wandering into sin and away from God. They were not meant to be harsh or impossible, but rules to live by in such a way that God would be respected, people would treat each other decently and honestly, and the worst human behaviour would be curbed. Like that black railing fence that keeps Nikita from running out onto the street and getting hurt or lost.

The problem is, rules alone don’t work. Just giving the people ten commandments to live by didn’t stop them from behaving badly, being unfaithful to God, murdering, stealing, and all the rest. So more laws were established – and more, and more. It still happens today, in many religions and cultures, including in Christianity: in an effort to control people, laws become more numerous and more harsh. It would be like is putting Nikita into more and more restrictive surroundings, from a fenced yard to a crate to a short leash. But would that make her obey us? Would that make her behave the way we want her to?

In today’s epistle reading St Paul says that approach is no use. He says that according to the law of his religion he was righteous – and more than righteous, impeccable! It even made him persecute and kill Christians, because they were deemed to have broken the blasphemy laws of Judaism. Legalistically speaking he might have been righteous, but he says that kind of righteousness is rubbish. It’s useless. It didn’t stop him from sinning. It couldn’t stop him from a sort of inner death.

What gave him life – a whole new life – was not a law but a relationship, a love. A love of Christ and a life in relationship with him. Knowing Christ and the power of his resurrection became the most important and life-giving thing in Paul’s life.

Back to the dog metaphor. I want Nikita to come when I call because she loves and trusts me, not because she’s on the end of a leash that I’m yanking on. I want her to run to me when I whistle for her on the beach not because she’s afraid of a beating if she doesn’t come, or because I’m luring her with the promise of a treat – although that can help in the early stages! – but because she’s learned that she can trust my whistle.

Isn’t that a great image for our life of discipleship? I want to trust God enough to respond faithfully whenever I hear the Holy Spirit calling. I want to walk closely beside Christ like a dog that’s learned to walk to heel. It’s not about being on a short leash and trying to obey 100s of rules out of fear of hell; it’s about love and trust. Without a loving relationship we only have the rules. And rules will never make us good, any more than a short leash and lots of tugging on it by us will make Nikita walk calmly and closely beside us.

It always comes back to love and relationship. That’s why, when Jesus was asked which of the commandments was the most important, he replied with what we now call the Summary of the Law: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your mind, with all your soul and with all your strength. And love your neighbour as yourself.” All the rest flows from there. Laws alone are like fences: they’re useful, they’re meant to safeguard us, but without love they can’t bring us into a life-giving relationship with God.

I don’t want to belabour the dog metaphor, but I do honestly think that if Jesus had been preaching in the Beach in our day, he’d have told parables about dogs and their owners rather than sheep and shepherds. So let me spell it out a bit more.

As a dog wants nothing more than to be with its beloved humans, so may we long to be close to God.

What would that mean for you? When have you felt that longing for God?

How could you nourish your closeness to God?

As a dog bounds up to its beloved human when it hears the familiar whistle, so may we be attentive to the call of God and respond when we hear it.

When do you hear God’s voice or the Spirit’s call? Are you quiet enough to hear it? Do you trust enough to respond? If not, can you practise?

As a dog knows that beloved voice and follows closely on those beloved heels, so may we follow closely in the footsteps of Christ.

Who is Christ for you? The healer? The friend of outcasts and sinners? The Lamb of God? The liberator of the oppressed? Whatever face of his you know, follow where he leads you.

It’s said that dogs look at their beloved human and think, “He takes care of me, he feeds me, he even picks up after me. He must be God!” Whereas cats think to themselves, “She takes care of me, she feeds me, she even picks up after me. I must be God!” Sometimes we’re more cat-like than dog-like in our walk of faith. We put ourselves in the place of God and forget that our lives are in the palm of God’s hands. But it’s a relief, isn’t it, to stop struggling to be in control and simply trust? Trust that you are beloved. Trust that God is calling you by name. Trust that your home is with God. And then live from that calm place of trust.

Amen!

Topically, I hope this adds something to the conversation between you two folks.

:namaste
SageTree

rusra02

Premium Member
I won't get into that here.

What "concrete realities" are Christianity based on? And how does Christianity "benefit us now"?

The God of the Holy Scriptures is a God who manifests himself to his creatures.
Romans 1:20 tell us that God's "invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world's creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship." Thus God's visible creative works testify to his existence and power, and wisdom.
The actual occurrences taking place in Jesus life and ministry identify him as the promised Messiah and God's Son. The reliability of God's word and the fulfillment of its prophecies make us confident in all that God has promised, including his promise of everlasting life for those who know and serve Him. (Acts 17:31)
The Bible is accurate history and reliable prophecy. God challenges all the other gods worshipped to prove their godship by telling out what the future holds and then bringing about these prophecies. Only the God of truth, Jehovah, can do so. (Isaiah 41:21-23)

All the Sermon on the Mount does is verify that certain actions are vice, and describes blessings which those who believe can hope to receive. For instance, since I used lust earlier in the thread, I'll use it here. The Bible says "do not lust." Jesus clarified what lust is in the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew chapter 5. But, for one who, before believing, was someone for whom lust was a big part of their life, how, according to the Bible, does one actually learn to refrain from lust? In other words, the Bible says "do not lust", but does it say how?​

Indeed it does give advice on how to avoid lust. In Matthew 5:27-30 Jesus warns that "everyone that keeps on looking at a woman so as to have a passion for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart" He then tells us metaphorically how to avoid adultery, taking drastic action to avoid this sin against God. Jesus was not advocating self-mutilation, but stressed metaphorically thatt we should be willing to cut out of our life anything (however painful) that is spiritually harmful.

Agreed. :)

Please see responses in blue.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
The difference bEtween b nd c is that the former requires that you work, work, work for a reward. The latter is all about grace.

If you make it that generalized and glossy.... yea I suppose ;)

What about other ideas about faith vs works in Christianity...?

It's funny, that is odd, to me, that people practice and engage a Way for a reward, when in fact the Practice/Way itself already is this 'reward', imo.