• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A manual for the laws of polygamy

Pah

Uber all member
Polygamy
From the Office of the Attorney General, State of Utah
Home/Crime & Violence Prevention /Polygamy

Polygamy is illegal in Utah and forbidden by the Arizona constitution. However, law enforcement agencies in both states have decided to focus on crimes within polygamous communities that involve child abuse, domestic violence and fraud. The Utah Attorney General's Office and the Arizona Attorney General's Office also worked together to produce "The Primer---Helping Victims of Domestic Violence and Child Abuse in Polygamous Communities." This manual provides basic information about various polygamous communities that will assist human services professionals, law enforcement officers and others in helping victims from these communities. The Primer will be updated regularly to reflect modifications in the law and changes in each organization's beliefs and practices. Click here to read or print the latest PDF version of The Primer.

The Primer is best viewed with Adobe Reader 6 or 7.
The Primer is available here

Lintu

I think that the legal aspects of it could get really messy. And in many instances of polygamy, underage women are forced into marrying older men. I don't particularly care whether someone wants to do this, as long as the legal ramifications are figured out and women aren't coerced into it.

Lintu

Ceridwen018 said:
Well Lintu, those things would of course be taken care of if polygamy were made legal.
Yes, but I'm not really sure how the legalities could be settled. I suppose that's why there are people who are paid to figure that stuff out :)

Legalizing polygamy would prevent young girls from being exploited, but it won't prevent coercion. Of course, there is the possibility for coercion in any marriage, so that's not a very good argument...