• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new "convert"

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Firstly, I would like to say hello to everyone here.

A recent discovery of mine indicated that a close friend considered herself part of Unitarian Universalism. Having heard about the religion on this forum originally, I requested to know more about such an allegiance. She kindly explained to me what she believed to be UU, and the concepts she spoke of-- such as different beliefs coming together and recognizing generosity and the theme of a universal "God"-- it sparked something in me. I now hope to attend her church next weekend.

Originally, I was a very skeptical atheist who always approached religions from the back end. When I heard Christianity, I thought Crusades. When I heard Confucianism, I thought inequality. Yet over the past few months I've begun to adopt appreciation for every religion, ranging from Tao to Satanism to Islam to New Age. Every religion has offered something unique to us, and while there might be faults in religion, so are there faults in non-religion.

Now I realize that keeping my eyes on the faults is pointless. I still consider myself atheistic, but I've learned to appreciate, tolerate, and reapproach theists.

I hope to indulge myself further in the UU community and explore the boundaries known as existance.

God bless. :bounce

Runt

I hope to indulge myself further in the UU community and explore the boundaries known as existance.

Then might I wish you a fun and fulfilling indulgence? ;) I know the journey's been great for me.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Frubals on your head!
GeneCosta said:
Now I realize that keeping my eyes on the faults is pointless. I still consider myself atheistic, but I've learned to appreciate, tolerate, and reapproach theists.
What a refreshing mindset. Thanks for sharing it.

Davidium

Welcome to UU...

I hope that you find something in the service this weekend that speaks to you. In fact, since it is easter, it may be a flower communion ceremony, which many UU churches do this time of year... or a more traditional easter service...

I will be attending a flower communion tomorrow... one of my favorite services of the year... what a great time to begin attending a UU church!

Here is a link to the UUA website page on the flower communion....

http://www.uua.org/aboutuu/flowercommunion.html

But whatever service they have, I hope it speaks to you! And look beyond the service, into the covenant groups and other activities... I really think the heart of UU is in the small group ministries...

If I can be of service as you begin an exploration of our unique faith, you have but to ask...

Yours in Faith,

David

Runt

When I first came to the UU church (came as an adult, that is--I grew up in it) it was on Easter. And what do you know? We did a Flower Communion! It's a beautiful little ceremony; if your church is doing it, I'm sure you'll love it. :)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
GeneCosta said:
Originally, I was a very skeptical atheist who always approached religions from the back end. When I heard Christianity, I thought Crusades. When I heard Confucianism, I thought inequality. Yet over the past few months I've begun to adopt appreciation for every religion, ranging from Tao to Satanism to Islam to New Age. Every religion has offered something unique to us, and while there might be faults in religion, so are there faults in non-religion.

You sound like a UU to me! :D Welcome, I'll get the coffee started.

robtex

Veteran Member
From one UU/atheist to another welcome!!!

GeneCosta said:
God bless.

Gene, to me this says volumes about your character.

Runt

We didn't do a flower communion either. Instead, we had a baby dedication. I almost cried, it was so beautiful. If I ever have a kid, he or she is SOOOO being dedicated!