• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Pang of Conscience

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
With the recent passing of Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI it seems everyone has something to say about the man. Predictably those with an anti-religious axe to grind have wasted little time to denigrate the late pontiff. Noting the sheer venom of many of these commentators I was reminded of a set of verses in Romans.

Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips: Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness.
Romans 3:13-14
But shrill Redditors aside my own conscience was stung in that I myself have been just as guilty of denigrating those I dislike be it Pope Francis or others with whom I disagree. I have been just as lacking in charity as those accusing Benedict of having been a Nazi. I myself am hardly innocent of idle words.

But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

Matthew 12:36
People will say what they will say, but from now on I will take it upon myself to at least make the attempt to be more thoughtful in what I say, especially online. At the very least I should be careful as to not allow myself to get bogged down in petty internet arguments. No matter how wrong those who disagree with me may be. ;)

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
With the recent passing of Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI it seems everyone has something to say about the man. Predictably those with an anti-religious axe to grind have wasted little time to denigrate the late pontiff. Noting the sheer venom of many of these commentators I was reminded of a set of verses in Romans.

Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips: Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness.
But shrill Redditors aside my own conscience was stung in that I myself have been just as guilty of denigrating those I dislike be it Pope Francis or others with whom I disagree. I have been just as lacking in charity as those accusing Benedict of having been a Nazi. I myself am hardly innocent of idle words.

But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

People will say what they will say, but from now on I will take it upon myself to at least make the attempt to be more thoughtful in what I say, especially online. At the very least I should be careful as to not allow myself to get bogged down in petty internet arguments. No matter how wrong those who disagree with me may be. ;)
The difference between you and the Pope; is that the Pope is supposed to be "God's representative on earth" - if God backs Nazis and agrees to cover up child abuse, that's a worry.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The difference between you and the Pope; is that the Pope is supposed to be "God's representative on earth" - if God backs Nazis and agrees to cover up child abuse, that's a worry.
I'm confused. Who backed the Nazis? Do you mean the Concordat agreed by Pius VI?

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I would prefer that this thread not become a platform to denigrate Benedict. This is a journal post about my intention to be more thoughtful with what I post rather than about Benedict himself. The slander against him (from the predictable quarters) being simply what triggered my own examination of conscience.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Very well said!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
People will say what they will say, but from now on I will take it upon myself to at least make the attempt to be more thoughtful in what I say, especially online. At the very least I should be careful as to not allow myself to get bogged down in petty internet arguments. No matter how wrong those who disagree with me may be.

Amen and amen. That is something I too will work on because I too fall prey to temptation.