• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A reliable conservative

Tomef

I'd never taken much of an interest in US politics until that bizarre Trump character appeared on the scene. Since then, I've tried, mostly in vain, to find a useful conservative news source, stateside. I think we're fortunate in Europe in that you can generally find good publications from across the political spectrum, from the UK for example, I read the Spectator, the Telegraph, The Times, the FT (mostly conservative leaning or centrist for those who don't know them, the FT being the least politically aligned IMO), sometimes the Guardian and the New Statesman (more left-leaning). All very good, I think, although the Telegraph can be a bit jingoistic. Newer on the scene is Unherd, which is pretty good, I think, and quite balanced.

In the states, though, most of the conservative press is utter garbage. Just emotionally-driven moron fodder, with little interest in anything beyond sensationalist ranting. Human Events sometimes prints articles worth reading, but that's about it. It's hard to get a conservative opinion that isn't some new version of an idiot fest. From the US, I read the NYT, WAPO, The New Yorker. Also Foreign Affairs, which I think is US based. The first three are high on quality and integrity, but - although the NYT in particular makes a point of publishing alternative, even bordering on extreme, conservative guest writers regularly - the first three papers here clearly lean towards a liberal agenda. I don't mind that, but I'd like to balance it with some coherent conservative perspectives.

Recently, I read one of Joe Walsh's books, and although his politics are not my cup of tea (pardon the pun), I found him refreshingly honest, principled and mature. He is so unlike any other North American conservative pundit I've come across that I feel like I've struck gold. I'm not all that interested in his politics, but he seems like the kind of normal political pundit a person can agree to disagree with, and has some genuine, sincerely held political beliefs. How is he seen, generally, in the US? Has anyone else read any of this books?

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Recently, I read one of Joe Walsh's books, and although his politics are not my cup of tea (pardon the pun), I found him refreshingly honest, principled and mature. He is so unlike any other North American conservative pundit I've come across that I feel like I've struck gold. I'm not all that interested in his politics, but he seems like the kind of normal political pundit a person can agree to disagree with, and has some genuine, sincerely held political beliefs. How is he seen, generally, in the US? Has anyone else read any of this books?

The only Joe Walsh I'm familiar with is the musician. I did look up the name and found this other Joe Walsh: Joe Walsh (Illinois politician) - Wikipedia

Is that who you meant? If so, I had not heard of him.

Audie

Veteran Member
I'd never taken much of an interest in US politics until that bizarre Trump character appeared on the scene. Since then, I've tried, mostly in vain, to find a useful conservative news source, stateside. I think we're fortunate in Europe in that you can generally find good publications from across the political spectrum, from the UK for example, I read the Spectator, the Telegraph, The Times, the FT (mostly conservative leaning or centrist for those who don't know them, the FT being the least politically aligned IMO), sometimes the Guardian and the New Statesman (more left-leaning). All very good, I think, although the Telegraph can be a bit jingoistic. Newer on the scene is Unherd, which is pretty good, I think, and quite balanced.

In the states, though, most of the conservative press is utter garbage. Just emotionally-driven moron fodder, with little interest in anything beyond sensationalist ranting. Human Events sometimes prints articles worth reading, but that's about it. It's hard to get a conservative opinion that isn't some new version of an idiot fest. From the US, I read the NYT, WAPO, The New Yorker. Also Foreign Affairs, which I think is US based. The first three are high on quality and integrity, but - although the NYT in particular makes a point of publishing alternative, even bordering on extreme, conservative guest writers regularly - the first three papers here clearly lean towards a liberal agenda. I don't mind that, but I'd like to balance it with some coherent conservative perspectives.

Wall St Journal

Tomef

Wall St journal
The WSJ is only conservative in a more traditional sense, i.e. it doesn’t represent the far-out strangeness of the current conservative movement in the US. I think on most counts it’s more centrist that either right or left leaning.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'd never taken much of an interest in US politics until that bizarre Trump character appeared on the scene. Since then, I've tried, mostly in vain, to find a useful conservative news source, stateside.
I'm not aware of any American political news sources that aren't indoctrination media.

Here are various ratings of media sources from more liberal to more conservative, but I'm not sure it will be of any use to you:

Google Image Result for https://www.poynter.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/NewsRatings.jpeg

There isn't really anything to know about American conservatives today except that they're either extreme or irrelevant. You've got a handful of them like Liz Cheney (pushed out by her party), Adam Kinzinger (gave up on politics), Mitt Romney (also out of there), the Lincoln Project, and maybe some I'm not thinking of, but only the latter remains politically relevant, albeit not to the other Republicans.

People like Chris Sununu, Nikki Haley, Mitch McConnel, and Trump's running mate Vance characterize the less vocal (and they're fairly vocal) and extreme Republicans today. They've all at one time adamantly denounced Trump but now endorse him.

And that's the best of the right. It goes rapidly further into the gutter after that (Greene, Gaetz, Bobert, Comer, Jordan, Stefanik, Gosar, R Johnson, Perry, Lake, Abbot, Desantis).

If conservatism is of interest to you, look elsewhere than to Americans or American news sources. If American conservative politics is of interest to you, I'd look at its politicians, not its news sources.

Yerda

Veteran Member
The values that make for really informative media and great journalism are skewed somewhat towards the left. Conservatives are less likely to inconvenience power for the sake of truth and this is why reliable conservative journalists, commentators/pundits are relatively rarer, imo.

For the US I've read some good pieces in The American Conservative, National Review, and The Dispatch. Also some bat**** crazy nonsense and outright drivel.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That's right, him rather than the musician.

I think more Americans are probably familiar with the musician than the politician by that name. I don't know what his politics are, although he seemed to understand what it's like to be an ordinary, average guy in America.

I'm just an ordinary average guy
My friends are all boring
And so am I
We're just ordinary average guys

We all lead ordinary average lives
With average kids
And average wives
We all go bowling at the bowling lanes
Drink a few beers
Bowl a few frames
We're just ordinary average guys
Ordinary average guys