• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A seax

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I would like to have a seax for my altar. One of the things to offer Thor is weapons, according to this page Thor's Shrine: Making Offerings to Thor

I found what is actually an athame. I don't know if there is anything wrong in having an athame as a stand-in for a seax. This is a small athame I found. It comes with both edges sharpened. A true seax usually has a single-edged blade. It comes with a sheath. It is 6" long.
  • Good idea?
  • Bad idea?
  • Meh, don't bother.

418nfP%2B45CL._SY450_.jpg

Toxikmynd

Demir
Generally athames are used in Wicca along with wands, I believe a seax would be better, but I don't think this is a bad idea. Hell, I'd use it, a blade is a blade, I'm sure that Thor could care less as to what it is. Always remember the quote, "A weapon doesn't make a warrior." I'm sure of all the god's Thor would understand this the best.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I got the seax a couple of weeks ago. It's a beauty. But... I am sad disappoint... it is dull as dull can be. I paid extra for it to be sharpened, but they did a crappy job. When I used my steel on it to hone it, it went completely dull. I'm trying to find a good local knife or tool sharpener. I mean, it cannot even slice through a banana skin. I've been reading about how to sharpen knives, but this one has a thick and heavy blade. It takes some time to learn how to properly sharpen a blade. The whole thing weighs 2 lbs and is 17" long. I really like it, I just wish I could use it now. I fully intend to use it to cook with. I keep it on the altar, and no one, but no one in the house will ever use it but me.

AH4170N.jpg

Toxikmynd

Demir
Instead of wasting time to make a new thread, I'll just recycle and ask if anyone can suggest a good website to get a seax, or a dirk, thanks :)

Sees

Dragonslayer
I got the seax a couple of weeks ago. It's a beauty. But... I am sad disappoint... it is dull as dull can be. I paid extra for it to be sharpened, but they did a crappy job. When I used my steel on it to hone it, it went completely dull. I'm trying to find a good local knife or tool sharpener. I mean, it cannot even slice through a banana skin. I've been reading about how to sharpen knives, but this one has a thick and heavy blade. It takes some time to learn how to properly sharpen a blade. The whole thing weighs 2 lbs and is 17" long. I really like it, I just wish I could use it now. I fully intend to use it to cook with. I keep it on the altar, and no one, but no one in the house will ever use it but me.

AH4170N.jpg

I'll sharpen her for you free if you send :) I had to spend time as a kid learning how to sharpen blades and make knives (which takes too much time and I can't do right now).

I have thousands of $$$ into knives, use and sharpen them regularly, go to shows sometimes, etc. Made extra cash on military deployments sharpening knives and tomahawks :D

Shoot me an e-mail bro

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

AH4170N.jpg

Hello Thorbjorn....... Please excuse an outsider posting on your thread, but I was most interested in your seax.

Your seax may be made from a very low carbon-steel, which could reduce its usefulness. I am guessing that you live in Scandinavia somewhere, so I don't know any sword makers there.

I live in Herne Bay, Kent, England and a good friend of mine has been making swords, axes and armour for twenty years now. Most of his suits of armour are sent to America. The rating for an armourer is this:- Can the armourer raise a helm from a single sheet of 'seamless' metal. If they can do that, they can do anything!

I do not promote his work, he doesn't need promotion and his customer waiting list will be long, but if you would communicate with him to discover an armourer in your country, please PM me for his contact details. :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll sharpen her for you free if you send :) I had to spend time as a kid learning how to sharpen blades and make knives (which takes too much time and I can't do right now).

I have thousands of $$$ into knives, use and sharpen them regularly, go to shows sometimes, etc. Made extra cash on military deployments sharpening knives and tomahawks :D

Shoot me an e-mail bro

Thanks, I may take you up on that if the stone I get, a DMT coarse, doesn't work. I have an Arkansas Stone but it's fine grade. I need coarse first. The fine smooths it out and puts a bit of an edge on it, but's not razor sharp. I think I have your email addy on the computer.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello Thorbjorn....... Please excuse an outsider posting on your thread, but I was most interested in your seax.

Your seax may be made from a very low carbon-steel, which could reduce its usefulness. I am guessing that you live in Scandinavia somewhere, so I don't know any sword makers there.

I live in Herne Bay, Kent, England and a good friend of mine has been making swords, axes and armour for twenty years now. Most of his suits of armour are sent to America. The rating for an armourer is this:- Can the armourer raise a helm from a single sheet of 'seamless' metal. If they can do that, they can do anything!

I do not promote his work, he doesn't need promotion and his customer waiting list will be long, but if you would communicate with him to discover an armourer in your country, please PM me for his contact details. :)

Thanks, good info. I'm in the US. Honestly I don't know the quality of the steel. I wish I knew more about knives... meat, fire and knives. All a man needs to get by. :D

Sees

Dragonslayer
Thanks, I may take you up on that if the stone I get, a DMT coarse, doesn't work. I have an Arkansas Stone but it's fine grade. I need coarse first. The fine smooths it out and puts a bit of an edge on it, but's not razor sharp. I think I have your email addy on the computer.

I think you'll be able to get it. :)

A long time ago, one of the first things my father taught me was the pencil/sharpie trick where you mark on the bevel all the way to the edge, a few different places along the length of the blade and on both sides - after a few strokes you see where your angle is cutting steel. It's probably the most helpful thing for new knives with hand finished edges and grinds.

Definitely one of the things I Iike to use as therapeutic relaxation and connecting with ancestors, time-traveling back to them sharpening blades on stones hundreds of years ago, thousands of years ago.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Thanks, good info. I'm in the US. Honestly I don't know the quality of the steel. I wish I knew more about knives... meat, fire and knives. All a man needs to get by. :D

Yes........ armourers have learned a lot about blades.
The Japanese dowsed their blades in blood as one of their ways to increase carbon content, and then they would fold the metal and repeat the process, many hundreds of times which produced the patterns in the metal.
My Father knew many Gurkhas during the war, and in order to find a piece of steel worthy of being fashioned into a personal kukri they would acquire a car spring (very high carbon steel).

My father's old kukri blade has a 'set' or curve in it, which almost certainly means that it was once a car-spring!

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I'm finally getting the seax sharp enough that I was able to cut chicken. :) It has a bit to go to be as sharp as I think it should be, but it will get there. I got an x-coarse stone and had at it Saturday afternoon. I used a little trick I picked up on the interwebz... run a Sharpie marker along the edge and grind until the ink is gone. Doing that you can see all the uneven spots. Then I ran it over an x-fine stone. It would have taken less time if I used an xx-coarse, but I'm learning to keep it at the proper angle, 20-22° as I've seen on the interwebz. Yes, I folded paper and used the wedge to eyeball the angle I held the seax at. The blade was so dull and smooth it could barely cut butter. I think it would draw blood if I ran my finger over it now... but I'll practice on chicken. :D