• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A sheep without a shepherd in a world inundated with information.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
The only spiritual teachers where I live are Christian pastors. So I find myself without a physical spiritual teacher in my offline person to person life.

I have my books. I have the words of the great Buddha and the great Krishna sitting on my bookshelf. Is that all the modern man needs now?

The world is inundated with information. There is such an information overload that what is important gets drowned out. But if I can sift the important information out of all of the stimuli, do I move beyond the need of a physical teacher? A sheep without a shepherd?

I have no teacher. I see all around me a community in need of a great spiritual teacher. If I am to be that one, I am not that one yet. So I am left to wonder, do I require a teacher myself? If so, then I gotta start looking abroad!

Advice? I am a lost pupper.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I'm in the same boat. I have no offline community of any sort. There's no Pagan community, and that's true of America in general. I'd have to go back to Christianity for that. Or become a Muslim, since there's more and more mosques here. It's extremely isolating.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
The only spiritual teachers where I live are Christian pastors. So I find myself without a physical spiritual teacher in my offline person to person life.

I have my books. I have the words of the great Buddha and the great Krishna sitting on my bookshelf. Is that all the modern man needs now?

The world is inundated with information. There is such an information overload that what is important gets drowned out. But if I can sift the important information out of all of the stimuli, do I move beyond the need of a physical teacher? A sheep without a shepherd?

I have no teacher. I see all around me a community in need of a great spiritual teacher. If I am to be that one, I am not that one yet. So I am left to wonder, do I require a teacher myself? If so, then I gotta start looking abroad!

Advice? I am a lost pupper.
I always wanted a teacher...

I joined OBOD. I got a mentor for the course and she was a nice person. I don't feel I learned from her. When I came into Hinduism, the desire for one grew. After all, one is often encouraged to find a guru...

None came. A teacher seemed to become more relevant, but I would continue to go without.

But I'm not without.

I have teachers everywhere. In the Sun, the Moon, the squirrels, the cats, the jerk next door, all of you fine people here, the firemouth cichlid in the big tank...

I don't think I could handle a 'teacher' at this point.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In my experience, the greatest "spiritual teachers" are not humans. They are found in Rain, by the light of Moon, in the observation of River, and in the flight of Bird.