• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A symposium of ignorance

CircularLogic

I would like to surmise that the human capacity has two essential factors.

Rational Logic

Emotional Reaction

While emotional reaction is necessary for a fulfillment in life, rational logic is necessary for success on a biological level.

I have a tendency to believe one is no better than the other, although we all display different degrees of both. I do however stand by the fact, that a dramatic imbalance or corruption one of these can lead to destruction. Such as a cancer destroys itself, an abundance of logic with no emotion will destroy a human group by filtering out all that is non rational. Where an abundance of emotional reaction will destruct in ignorance and reactionary measure toward a changing environment.

I believe that all religions are a form of emotional reaction toward the human condition of mortality and duality. They are an imbalance of an emotional reaction. They are an unhealthy form of self deception which can potentially lead to destruction. More frustrating is the fact they reward the ignorant, and block progress.

Emotional reaction is necessary, religious emotional reaction is emotional masturbation in defense of a ever growing rationally logical world. What I don't understand.... is how to make these traits work together.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Rational Logic

Emotional Reaction

While emotional reaction is necessary for a fulfillment in life, rational logic is necessary for success on a biological level.

I have a tendency to believe one is no better than the other, although we all display different degrees of both. I do however stand by the fact, that a dramatic imbalance or corruption one of these can lead to destruction. Such as a cancer destroys itself, an abundance of logic with no emotion will destroy a human group by filtering out all that is non rational. Where an abundance of emotional reaction will destruct in ignorance and reactionary measure toward a changing environment.

I believe that all religions are a form of emotional reaction toward the human condition of mortality and duality. They are an imbalance of an emotional reaction. They are an unhealthy form of self deception which can potentially lead to destruction. More frustrating is the fact they reward the ignorant, and block progress.

Emotional reaction is necessary, religious emotional reaction is emotional masturbation in defense of a ever growing rationally logical world. What I don't understand.... is how to make these traits work together.

Insightful, but not entirely accurate. There are plenty of religions that are rational and realistic, not about placing emotional experiences at a higher authority than rationality.

The way to make these two traits to work together is to make sure that rational logic is actually taught, which, unfortunately, it is most often not. I try to maintain rationality and logic despite my religious beliefs.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

Rational Logic

Emotional Reaction

It isn't the religion itself, but the people of each faith that are either rational or irrational. Most people are can be both rational and irrational depending on the situation. I am a theist, but I don't think I react irrational towards the world because of it. I act irrational sometimes because something has happened, whether good or bad. Like when I found out my son was autistic, the moment I found out I was in tears- it wasn't something I wanted to hear about my child. It took awhile, but I learned to accept it. My son is a sweet, lovable young man- he will never be a rocket scientist or whatever but he will always be my son.

To sum it up: Some theists can be very rational and some atheists can be very irrational.

CircularLogic

I can agree with the statement that there are in fact very rational religious people as well as religions that do exist.

I myself believe that large-scale organized religion was never intended to be spiritual or highly emotional, yet some of the rituals involved can be if you so choose. The original purpose in my mind for large scale organized religion is to provide social infrastructure to a group of people whose roles, duties, or status in a given society are changing, and a codified means by which to live in order needs to be established to forward social progress.

My main concern with modern adaption of these religions is that the emotional reactions potentially damage forward progress toward what was originally intended, and that emotional people maybe more vulnerable to this disortment. It's hard getting harder to function in a society where emotional responsive people are not only susceptible to religious extremes, but also consumerism. It has created quite a paradox.