• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A theology in a System of a Down song?

WanderLust

Inquisitive One
"Life is a waterfall, we're one in the river and one again after the fall"

Does anyone have a theology similar to this? That we're all one with the universe before we're born and when we die, we're one with universe again? I find it hard to describe my feelings on this, but I feel like there's soemthing to this.

Thoughts?

PS, if anyone's curious about the song, I believe it's "Aerials".

Straw Dog

Does anyone have a theology similar to this? That we're all one with the universe before we're born and when we die, we're one with universe again? I find it hard to describe my feelings on this, but I feel like there's soemthing to this.

Thoughts?

Ah, yes. I remember "Aerials". It's been a while since I was into System of the Down properly, but I find many of their lyrics to be fairly deep in meaning at least more so than many other performing artists.

We are one with the universe before we are born and we are one with the universe after we die, but we're also one with the universe while we are alive. That is your skin doesn't separate you from "your" environment, rather it is a bridge. You are continuous with other people and your surroundings. What causes the sense of a separate "self" is all a matter of a particular perspective on things that you've been taught to prefer over other perspectives.

I mean, it isn't even scientific to begin with. If it were approached in such a sense, one would be forced to conclude that you cannot totally describe a single person's behavior without describing the behavior of those people around them who define that person and none of them could be fully described without describing the behavior of their environment, and so really there is only one great behavior of one great system necessary in order to get a complete description of things as they actually are.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Staff member
Premium Member

Thoughts?

Yep, Aerials.

Technically we do become one with the universe once again, just not consciously. In fact, it isn't only after the fall, our atoms and matter is rubbing off at almost every moment of our lives.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Reminds me of a Matisyahu song called "On Nature"

"........We are men of nature We are made from the earth At the end of my eighty, I'll return to the dirt Only bein' only breathin We're just children of believers
Like fire and water be strong with compassion In the morning we're born everlasting Like the grass by the sea Bendin' with the wind which knocks it down time and again We remain and sing Standing until the dawn of day carries us away As we sway through the phases of each generation We leave our trace and then leave this station...."

On nature lyrics MATISYAHU

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Thoughts?

Close. Very close.

Notably in which we never "stopped" being one with the universe. No matter what.

Life in the big pond. :O)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Many Dharmics.
So many Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, and (possibly) Jains. And Taoism. It's not Dharmic, but it's cool enough to be.

idav

Being
Premium Member
It reminds me of the thought of nirvana where we all return once we reach a certain level. The lyrics are interesting because it makes it sound as if we are in more confusion during life than we are in other lesser states. Everything is essentially one but in life it is easy to lose that sense when we are too busy trying to play the game.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
While my take on the song is different (I think it was intended for everyone to have their own meaning to it), I tend to believe if we have a soul then we are not our own personal soul but part of a much larger collective conscious that permeates the universe. So in a sense, "we loose ourselves but find it all."