• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Typical Congregation

Pariah

Let go
With so many religious groups present in each Church (obviously it differs with location), how does a typical meeting occur?

Do you meet every Sunday?

What books do you read from?

Do you have guest speakers from different religions?

Do you have Sunday school? What's taught in Sunday School?

Its hard for me to ask what Unitarians do when so many groups are represented.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
With so many religious groups present in each Church (obviously it differs with location), how does a typical meeting occur?

Do you meet every Sunday?

What books do you read from?

Do you have guest speakers from different religions?

Do you have Sunday school? What's taught in Sunday School?

Its hard for me to ask what Unitarians do when so many groups are represented.
Hello Pariah, namaste and thanks for being interested enough to have questions. :)

UU draws a variety of faith traditions, but our roots are in liberal Christianity. Because of that, our meetings are generally called services and we have them on Sundays. Yes, we generally meet every Sunday. However, some congregations do break for the summer or go to a lighter schedule then. (I am speculating but my guess is that this is because Unitarianism started in on the East coast and summers can be sweltering and no one wants to be inside a stuffy church crammed full of people, especially in the days before air-conditioning. Nowadays, I suspect it's because lots of us go on vacation in the summer.)

We read from all sorts of books from the bible to scriptures from other traditions to poetry. On occasion, you will even hear a reading from the news paper. Because we believe that "revelation is ongoing/not sealed" it makes sense that we would look for truth where ever we find it. It is not confined to one religious tradition or one type of medium.

Do we have guest speakers from different religions? Occasionally. Certainly when we do have guest preachers it would be as likely that the person come from the Jewish or Buddhist or Humanist traditions as from Christian.

Your questions seem to indicate that you think we're an interfaith group. We're not. We are our own religious tradition, the combining of Unitarianism and Universalism. I wrote a short bit on UU history that you might find helpful:
http://www.wizdum.net/?q=node/134

Pariah

Let go
Your questions seem to indicate that you think we're an interfaith group. We're not. We are our own religious tradition, the combining of Unitarianism and Universalism.

Correct.
I posed the questions with that mindset. Thank you for the correction.