• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A UU service of Tenebrae

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I wasn't sure if I wanted to post this, but since someone asked me about in PM, I thought I'd share with everyone.

What is Tenebrae? In the Christian tradition the purpose of the Tenebrae (which is latin for darkness) service, usually done on Good Friday, is to recreate the emotional aspects of the Passion story, so it's not supposed to be a happy service, because the occasion is not happy.
Many find Tenebrae the most moving service of the Christian liturgical year, as it does not promise too-early hope, but admits the devastation that precedes the joy of Easter morning.

My church did a UU version: A service of readings, silence and hymns in remembrance of not only Jesus but also other martyrs* from history and the present, some of them UU. The service began in candlelight and after each reading, a candle or two was extinguished until the end when we were in darkness, symbolizing the extinguished lives we just heard about. We left in silence because of the seriousness of the service and it's subject. What can you say after hearing about people being murdered for their beliefs? We hold their lives and their pain in our hearts until Sunday and we come together again and Easter brings new hope/life/rebirth.

*others included:
Katherine Weiglowa - an 80-year-old Polish woman who was burned alive for questioning the Trinity and "judaizing"

Toribio Quimada - founder of the Unitarian Universalist Church of the Philippines, who was murdered for the changes he brought to the Philippines

Oscar Romero - stood with the Salvadorian people against the government and was killed for it.

Rev. James Reeb - UU minister who was killed in Selma, Alabama, while fighting for black voting rights.

Le Ly Hayslip (still alive) - was tortured while living in Vietnam by soldiers

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. - civil rights leader who was murdered

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Maize said:
I guess I'm wondering if any other UU churches do/did something similar?
We held a tenebrae service on Good Friday, but it was a more traditional Christian-type service. It included the recounting of the passion story leading up to the crucifixion, and a communion (not a flower communion but actual bread and wine), and then the lights were extinguished and we left in silence. When our current senior minister first started at All Souls, he apparently said "This is the body of Christ" when handing out the bread, which led to a minor revolt and put some people off so much that they refused to come back. (I would have revolted too had I been there.) Now he says "This is the bread of life, which is given to you." and everyone who attends seems happy with that. It is the only communion that I am willing to take, the only one where I feel comfortable/authentic doing so. (Tho I made waves afterwards that the bread should have been unleavened, as the bread that Jesus held at the Last Supper most certainly would have been.)

Very few people come to our tenebrae service relative to regular service. It was small and somber. Compared to our Easter service which rocked the house! :D

uumckk16

Our church also had a Tenebrae service, but I couldn't go, unfortunately. Both of the services mentioned sound beautiful, but I particularly like the one Maize described. That sounds very powerful. I hope next year I'll be able to attend the service at my church...

Davidium

Hey McKenna!

I see you found my other online hideout! The UU Section at Religious Forums!

Good to see you...

Yours in Faith,

David