• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrahamic - Mormons

Aqualung

Tasty
People always talk about the Book of Mormon being fundamentally different than the Bible. I have (and probably the no mormon has) ever been given an example that this was true. So let's debate it. The only works that are allowed in here is the Book of Mormon and the Bible. NO other works!!!

jonny

I'm not ignoring this, I just haven't got in the mood to look up the scriptures and write it all up.

Didn't I post some things regarding this in another debate? What was wrong with those items?

jonny

Aqualung said:
what? You confuse me. We're on the same team on this one...
I think I misunderstood you. I thought this was regarding the debate you were having in another thread about the Book of Mormon not adding anything different that wasn't already in the Bible.

Now that I've looked at it again, are you trying to debate that the gospel taught in the Book of Mormon is the same as that in the Bible? I also figured out that you don't just want to debate this with Mormons. :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Aqualung said:
People always talk about the Book of Mormon being fundamentally different than the Bible. I have (and probably the no mormon has) ever been given an example that this was true. So let's debate it. The only works that are allowed in here is the Book of Mormon and the Bible. NO other works!!!
Well, depending upon whom you ask, you'll either be told that the Book of Mormon is fundamentally different from the Bible OR you'll be told that the Book of Mormon is just a plagurized mishmash of quotes from the Bible. We seem to be in a lose-lose situation. :D

Aqualung

Tasty
jonny said:
I think I misunderstood you. I thought this was regarding the debate you were having in another thread about the Book of Mormon not adding anything different that wasn't already in the Bible.

Now that I've looked at it again, are you trying to debate that the gospel taught in the Book of Mormon is the same as that in the Bible? I also figured out that you don't just want to debate this with Mormons. :)
Yes, I mostly made this thread becaus Angelous evangelous keeps insisting that the BoM perverts the Gospel of the Bible, and that we worship a different Jesus. But I decided to let any abrahamic faith person (like a jew or something) debate this too.

Aqualung

Tasty
SoyLeche said:
Do you think we'll eventually get anyone other than a Mormon to post to this thread?
No. Like in all the other threads, everybody is willing to argue it until we're prepared to defend it. But I think we should all just post about a billion things each and make this thread really long and rambling about absolutely nothing. :D

jonny

Aqualung said:
No. Like in all the other threads, everybody is willing to argue it until we're prepared to defend it. But I think we should all just post about a billion things each and make this thread really long and rambling about absolutely nothing. :D
While we're waiting lets have some trivia. Someone did this one in church yesterday, so it may not be true - correct me if I'm wrong.

What is the only scripture that shows up in all four standard works?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Aqualung said:
No. Like in all the other threads, everybody is willing to argue it until we're prepared to defend it.
You hit the nail on the head, Aqualung.

I've seen this happen so many times I've lost count. They will attack our beliefs on other threads, often going way off-topic to do so. But issue an invitation to face us head on, on a thread devoted to answering their accusations, and watch them all run. :biglaugh: Incidentally, you can always just wait for an anti-Mormon to start a thread entitled, "The Book of Mormon contradicts the Bible and teaches a different gospel." It will happen sooner or later. It's just a matter of time. And when it happens, you'll find plenty of people willing to jump on the band wagon. I practically groveled awhile back, trying to get someone to discuss the nature of God (i.e. the fact that He is a physical being). I couldn't get anyone to debate me. But look at the thread called, "In his image?" It's going gangbusters!

jonny

They will come...They will come...It just takes time for them to notice us waiting for them. :) There are people waiting to pounce on this post. Perhaps you should send some of them a PM.

Now back to the chit chat. Anyone know what scriptures I am talking about? What scripture is quoted in all four standard works?

By the way, the Book of Mormon is the most correct of any book on earth and man can come nearer to God by abiding by its precepts than by any other book. Anyone here disagree with this point?

Aqualung

Tasty
jonny said:
Now back to the chit chat. Anyone know what scriptures I am talking about? What scripture is quoted in all four standard works?
It's the one about Elijah turning the hearts of the father to the children. I got that trivia in Institute a couple weeks ago. :D

jonny

Aqualung said:
It's the one about Elijah turning the hearts of the father to the children. I got that trivia in Institute a couple weeks ago. :D
Ding Ding Ding. This one must be going around. What are you studying in institute?

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Just so as you don't feel ignored, I thought I'd post. Unfortunately, though, I don't have any particular opinion on the matter and have never made such an accusation. I have read the Boook of Mormon but it left me completely cold. I don't believe it's Scripture and wouldn't accept it alongside the Bible, but I don't believe the canon was ever closed as such and, in principle, other texts could (though I doubt they will) be canonised in future. All of my disputes with LDS Christians are doctrinal, however, rather than revolving around the question of what is or is not Scripture - probably because I'm not a sola scripturalist in the first place. Give it time, though, some other non-LDS Christian who does have more of an opinion on this will probably post here eventually.

James

Aqualung

Tasty
jonny said:
Ding Ding Ding. This one must be going around. What are you studying in institute?
D&C. It's an awesome class. Gives me some of the background information that makes the sections a lot more (what's that word?! Oh well. YOu'll have to fill in)

Aqualung

Tasty
Look at that! 121 views! And out of all those views, not one person knows of even ONE instance where the BoM contradicts the Bible? Was angelous one of those viewers perhaps?

jonny

I think its funny that the "was" thread got longer than this thread, and it was a thread about nothing. :)