• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Absurd and Bizarre

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
I know a person who's currently teaching a program as part of getting her Master's degree in counselling.

One thing she ran across in a text book was a line about assuming mental illness in a person if they exhibit "absurd and bizarre behaviors". She brought it up to her class, and asked what it meant. It seemed everyone had different ideas. She had to bring up that one of the major hurdles she runs across in working with patients is they've been categorized in some way that doesn't fit because someone has dubbed their behavior "absurd or bizarre"... simply because the person diagnosing doesn't approve of or enjoy the behavior.

While behavior that is dangerous would likely fall into that category, where does a person draw the line? What would you consider absurd and bizarre?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
After reading the title, I was sure this thread was about me. But after reading this...
I know a person who's currently teaching a program as part of getting her Master's degree in counselling.
...I remembered not everything is about me. I was lucky to graduate high school.

While behavior that is dangerous would likely fall into that category, where does a person draw the line? What would you consider absurd and bizarre?
Based on the experiences in my life, the "line" is obscured. There is little in this reality I would consider absurd or bizarre...

...though many have used these terms to describe my wardrobe.​

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

One thing she ran across in a text book was a line about assuming mental illness in a person if they exhibit "absurd and bizarre behaviors". She brought it up to her class, and asked what it meant. It seemed everyone had different ideas. She had to bring up that one of the major hurdles she runs across in working with patients is they've been categorized in some way that doesn't fit because someone has dubbed their behavior "absurd or bizarre"... simply because the person diagnosing doesn't approve of or enjoy the behavior.

In my experience, I've seen this applied to patients who talk or appear to respond to hallucinations/internal stimuli, or patients who exhibit other unusual behavior, like movements that are erratic or behaviors that are driven by some delusion (e.g. putting tinfoil hats on your head because you believe the aliens are spying on you).

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Absurd would be something you shouldn't be doing. It could be clapping for hours at a time or spinning around for hours. For me It's an observed behavior contrary to existing. Bizarre behaviors would be a completely foreign action to existing like cutting your skin off a part of your body or purposely burning yourself. If realize that there are still qualifications like how much time of constant clapping is absurd and if someone burned themselves holding their hand over a candle to see how long they could do it but I think it could be categorized. This is all my opinion, and I am not a physcholgist.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
After reading the title, I was sure this thread was about me. But after reading this...

...I remembered not everything is about me. I was lucky to graduate high school.

Based on the experiences in my life, the "line" is obscured. There is little in this reality I would consider absurd or bizarre...

...though many have used these terms to describe my wardrobe.​
It doesn't seem absurd or bizarre to me.

There are people everywhere with terrible taste.

In my experience, I've seen this applied to patients who talk or appear to respond to hallucinations/internal stimuli, or patients who exhibit other unusual behavior, like movements that are erratic or behaviors that are driven by some delusion (e.g. putting tinfoil hats on your head because you believe the aliens are spying on you).
That is understandable in most situations.

Secret Chief

Degrow!

Eating kale.

We Never Know

No Slack
It doesn't seem absurd or bizarre to me.

There are people everywhere with terrible taste.

That is understandable in most situations.

Well...IMO...it all depends on the audience of the person(probably get crap over this but)..

Some might see bizarre behavior
-as owning 25 guns
-as believing in a god
-as living as the opposite sex
-as believing the 2020 election was stolen
-as believing the 2020 election wasn't stolen
-as having no social life but social media
-as eating at the same time everyday(hungry ot not)
-as praying
-as singing in the shower
-as etc etc

-its a very broad question being there are many things people do that seems bizarre to others.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Well...IMO...it all depends on the audience of the person(probably get crap over this but)..

Some might see bizarre behavior
-as owning 25 guns
-as believing in a god
-as living as the opposite sex
-as believing the 2020 election was stolen
-as believing the 2020 election wasn't stolen
-as having no social life but social media
-as eating at the same time everyday(hungry ot not)
-as praying
-as singing in the shower
-as etc etc

-its a very broad question being there are many things people do that seems bizarre to others.
And some might see bizarre behavior
-as listing 9 things some might see as bizarre behavior