• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abuse towards atheists?

cablescavenger

I have been meaning to ask this for a while now.

In the uk, as an atheist I have never encountered an issue of abuse for being an atheist.

Reading some of the comments on this forum, I wonder if most of it is just banter, or heated debate, or whether some of the bad feeling towards atheists exists in any of the communities you live in.

Have you or anyone you know been abused or persecuted for being an atheist?

If so where in the world do you live?
and how bad do you see the problem?
or is it not an issue in general?

My answer to those questions would be, I experienced stigma when I was younger, but no real abuse.
I was quite young when I became atheist so sharing my views with adults, I was quickly dismissed, and some people implied I would end up worshipping the devil, this put me off discussing it for a long time, and I just avoided religious conversations and hid my atheism.

I have no issue with sharing my atheism now, and enjoy the freedom I have to share my thoughts on religion. :beach:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Everyplace I've lived in the US (MI, CA, MD....no place poor or very rural), I've never suffered abuse for being an atheist.
For being a jerk, yes, but not for my apostacy.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Everyplace I've lived in the US (MI, CA, MD....no place poor or very rural), I've never suffered abuse for being an atheist.
For being a jerk, yes, but not for my apostacy.

I agree with this here. I was born in DC but raised in MD and went to MD Public Schools and now live here in VA. Never experienced any sort of abuse but got into plenty of heated debates. The other thing is. I'm a big guy but very peaceful until pushed so no one sought to push me too far. I would get cursed out but no physical harm ever came to me.

cablescavenger

Not as bad as I thought then. I read a post on here a while back about a guy whose child had decided she was atheist, and other children were kept away from her.

It just made me wonder if there was an issue with atheism, particularly across the pond.

Zoe Doidge

Basically a Goddess
Should add to my previous post, with the exception of my family lol, who are mostly Roman Catholics and my parents especially did not take kindly to the idea of an atheist bisexual daughter.

Most people are fine though.

lunakilo

I can say more or less the same as anybody else so far.

No, I have never experienced abuse because I am an theist.
But then again I live in one of the most irreligious countries in the world, so...

Noaidi

slow walker
I've had plenty of verbal abuse, from both adults and children alike. I've been called evil, wicked, a sinner, been told I'll burn in hell and that I need to change my ways. My favourite was being told that I am "steeped in sin and shrouded in evil'. Loved that one - it was almost poetic!
I've also been prayed for a couple of times in the hope that I turn from my apparent wickedness.

I live in the Hebrides, where 'fire and brimstone' christianity is rampant. I tend to ignore it now, but it did deeply affect me (and my perception of christians) when I moved here 8 years ago.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Have you or anyone you know been abused or persecuted for being an atheist?
If so where in the world do you live?
and how bad do you see the problem?
or is it not an issue in general?
:beach:

Outward abuse or persecution is typically frowned on in most of the first world societies. Unless you're abusive you generally will not be abused but atheism is still shunned and disliked by most of the religious portions of society.

If you are blatant about your atheism you will be passed up for promotions on jobs, invitations to people houses, and not asked to participate in community events.

Most religious people assume everyone is religious so unless you prove them wrong you are OK. Atheism is not an excepted norm yet.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I've never been "abused," but the fact that I don't believe in god doesn't really come up, other than in situations with people I know. I don't bring religion, politics, or anything else contraversial to work, as it would be stupid to open yourself up to possible ramifications due to someone's ignorance. I certainly don't use the word atheist, as in the real world (outside the shelter of an online forum like RF), you might as well say that you rape puppies.

cablescavenger

Outward abuse or persecution is typically frowned on in most of the first world societies. Unless you're abusive you generally will not be abused but atheism is still shunned and disliked by most of the religious portions of society.

If you are blatant about your atheism you will be passed up for promotions on jobs, invitations to people houses, and not asked to participate in community events.

Most religious people assume everyone is religious so unless you prove them wrong you are OK. Atheism is not an excepted norm yet.

Will it ever be an accepted norm if people have to hide their atheism?

It is like allowing prejudice to fester. A world where you can express your views as long as you are in the majority.

I would not have thought NJ would be that bad, I was expecting the Bible belt Southern States to pop up.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Not as bad as I thought then. I read a post on here a while back about a guy whose child had decided she was atheist, and other children were kept away from her.

It just made me wonder if there was an issue with atheism, particularly across the pond.

Well, in many parts of the U.S. there's certainly animosity towards non-christians. It's usually rural areas and southern states.

lunakilo

I can say more or less the same as anybody else so far.

No, I have never experienced abuse because I am an theist.
But then again I live in one of the most irreligious countries in the world, so...
I just remembered an episode that I thought I would share.

As I said, where I live nt beingeligious is pretty much the norm.
Religion is considered a private matter, and publicly advertising your religion is frowned upon.

I few month ago a colleague of mine saw me browsing this forum at work.
He asked me what I was doing, and I told him that it fas a religious forum that I had been spending quite a lot of time on.

His reaction is very telling of peoples attitude towards religion around here.
Hi went all quiet and his eyes became big and round. After a few moments he asked me (with fear in his voice) "So, are you very religious then"
He was visably relieved when I said no :)

cablescavenger

Well, in many parts of the U.S. there's certainly animosity towards non-christians. It's usually rural areas and southern states.
Thank you Father.

Your answer has prompted a quick thought.

If there is animosity toward atheism, how about a Christian that has been in prison? Are they considered beyond redemption and fall into the atheist category? or are atheists still considered worse?

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Growing up in mostly rural Kentucky I learned to keep my mouth shut unless I had to open it. It wasn't that bad. The few insults I ever received flew right past me as insults always have done nothing to me. Eventually, I suppose, the locals viewed me as one of the "good ol' boys". I've heard of heated debates getting physical but never witnessed any for my self. I still get the impression most don't really care unless they perceive you as causing trouble for them.

I should add that I got razzed for having Jewish ancestry more than being atheist. Although that wasn't bad either. I told one kid I owned his mom like everything else he could see and he said I could have her. lol

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
If there is animosity toward atheism, how about a Christian that has been in prison? Are they considered beyond redemption and fall into the atheist category? or are atheists still considered worse?

On the contrary. All you have to do is say "I've found Jebus" and then they'll squeal with delight.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Will it ever be an accepted norm if people have to hide their atheism?

It is like allowing prejudice to fester. A world where you can express your views as long as you are in the majority.

I would not have thought NJ would be that bad, I was expecting the Bible belt Southern States to pop up.

Not for nothing but my job requires me to travel the US it is the same everywhere. I have the unique position of seeing it with both views. I am an atheist yet I participate in a church and have a religious upbringing. This allows me to talk about religion openly and not cross the bounds so I can fit in with both groups and have links to the more involved groups.

I have practice at this type of discussing as my wife was an immigrant and so on my trips when bigotry arises I discuss not debate with my work mates.

What I have seen is that people are getting real good at hiding there intentions in public and the intellectual are getting real good at convincing themselves everything is better.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Me and my immediate family have been atheists most of our lives, and we have never really encountered any anti-atheist sentiment here in the UK. The closest thing to such a sentiment probably occurred a couple of Christmases ago, when sat at the Christmas dinner table with my (predominantly protestant) extended family. I'm not sure of the context entirely, but from my recollection we all played a game which involved us wearing various random celebrity masks. One of the people at the table got a Richard Dawkins mask, and when my three younger cousins (between the ages of 10 and 17 at the time) asked who he was, someone replied "he's an atheist". At which point they all started making cross signs with their fingers and saying "away, away devil" or some variation thereof. It was really disconcerting, and I found myself wondering just what these kids thought atheism was, and whether or not they - or any of my extended family - were aware of or openly talked about our atheism. It wasn't a terrible miscarriage of justice, but just imagine if they had reacted the same way about a Jewish person, or a Muslim, or a black man.