• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Acceptance and encouragement

uumckk16

robtex said:
The third principle reads:
"Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations"
I think this one is pretty self-explanatory. To me it's talking about spiritual acceptance...accepting that we do not all have the same beliefs, but that we should not only accept each other for those differences but encourage each other.

From learning about others' beliefs, we can further our own. From encouraging others and ourselves to grow spiritually, we continue to be a living tradition and don't become stuck with an old set of beliefs.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
uumckk16 said:
I think this one is pretty self-explanatory. To me it's talking about spiritual acceptance...accepting that we do not all have the same beliefs, but that we should not only accept each other for those differences but encourage each other.

From learning about others' beliefs, we can further our own. From encouraging others and ourselves to grow spiritually, we continue to be a living tradition and don't become stuck with an old set of beliefs.

Very nice post, uu. We must encourage everyone to reach spiritual peace. Instead of opening the door to your faith and your faith alone, you must show them all the different rooms.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
uumckk16 said:

Isn't avcceptance an extremely healthy attitude to life anyway ? (apart from it's relation as to faith)?

robtex

Veteran Member
I think to me this one is part of what makes UU UU and not some other religion. No dogma, no creed no doctrine. On any given day UU's get together person leaning towards taoism sits next to a person who accepts Jesus as his savior who is behind an agnostic who is sitting next to the gay couple one of whomo is Pagan and the other whom is an atheist, who hold hands during the service. Pick any UU church anywhere in the country and probably somebody in that group could visualize that being their UU church.

This principle to me means I don't need to feel intimidated or in fear of the buddhist, the muslim or the pagan. It means I don't need to try to convert the agnostic to atheism or pressure the Jew for reject the Torah as holy.

It does mean it is my obligation to help them, by recommending readings and sharing the intellectual resources I have, so that they can draw their own conclusions in their own time even if those conclusions are different than mine.

It makes a bigger goal of living in harmony with those who believe different instead of trying to get them to see reality my way. This principle is why UU really wouldn't work with a dogmatic structure.

This principle shows that the search the sharing of ideas and the acceptance of one another in a loving an nuturing atmosphere is more important than any final conclusions any of us reach.

uumckk16

michel said:
Isn't avcceptance an extremely healthy attitude to life anyway ? (apart from it's relation as to faith)?
Yeah...?

Sorry, I don't get your point...are you arguing with me, or just furthering what I was saying? :confused:

robtex said:
This principle shows that the search the sharing of ideas and the acceptance of one another in a loving an nuturing atmosphere is more important than any final conclusions any of us reach.
:yes: