• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Acts 15:20 blood and meat

Boyd

Is Acts 15:20 telling Christians to eat Kosher meat?

For the most part, yes. The problem though is that in many of those cities, nearly all of the meat available would have been deemed unclean as it was presented as sacrifices. Staying away from meat that was presented before an idol then would have been virtually impossible. In essence then, they are being almost asked to just skip eating meat.

Edit: It might also be worth putting forward that what James is proposing is that Gentiles follow the Noachide laws.

Last edited:

Wherenextcolumbus

For the most part, yes. The problem though is that in many of those cities, nearly all of the meat available would have been deemed unclean as it was presented as sacrifices. Staying away from meat that was presented before an idol then would have been virtually impossible. In essence then, they are being almost asked to just skip eating meat.

Thanks that was helpful.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Didn't Yeshua completely clear this up when he said that "....it's not what goes into a man's mouth...but what comes out..."? Doesn't this let us off the hook when it comes to nonsensical food taboos?

Wherenextcolumbus

Didn't Yeshua completely clear this up when he said that "....it's not what goes into a man's mouth...but what comes out..."? Doesn't this let us off the hook when it comes to nonsensical food taboos?

I don't know, that's why I am asking....is it a contradiction?

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Sorry, didn't mean to be nebulous. I have decided to follow the teachings of Yeshua, not the randomness of those that came after. We all have to find our own truth. Many of us have a hard time accepting the simplicity of faith. When Yeshua was asked to give new commandments he gave only two: Love God and love your neighbor as yourself; every- thing else will fall into place. Don't mean to be preachy, but when it comes to interpreting and/or understanding the scriptures you can parse yourself to the edge of insanity.

Wherenextcolumbus

Sorry, didn't mean to be nebulous. I have decided to follow the teachings of Yeshua, not the randomness of those that came after. We all have to find our own truth. Many of us have a hard time accepting the simplicity of faith. When Yeshua was asked to give new commandments he gave only two: Love God and love your neighbor as yourself; every- thing else will fall into place. Don't mean to be preachy, but when it comes to interpreting and/or understanding the scriptures you can parse yourself to the edge of insanity.

Ok I understand your point of view, many Christians however accept the whole of the NT

Boyd

I would say that it is not a contradiction. Jesus was not saying that the food laws should be set aside. While misguided, he was still a devout Jew. What he is mentioning is more along the lines that food was not defiled if you didn't wash your hands before.

James and Jesus are talking about two separate ideas.

Wherenextcolumbus

I would say that it is not a contradiction. Jesus was not saying that the food laws should be set aside. While misguided, he was still a devout Jew. What he is mentioning is more along the lines that food was not defiled if you didn't wash your hands before.

James and Jesus are talking about two separate ideas.

Oh yes I remember it being about washing your hands. I watched a good video recently by jewsforjudaism about Jesus being a devout Jew. Thanks

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
When Yeshua was asked to give new commandments he gave only two: Love God and love your neighbor as yourself; every- thing else will fall into place. Don't mean to be preachy, but when it comes to interpreting and/or understanding the scriptures you can parse yourself to the edge of insanity.

Actually, no matter whether you're reading Mark, Matthew or Luke, Jesus isn't asked to give new commandments, he is asked which the greatest commandment. To which he responds by quoting from the Torah, specifically Leviticus and Deuteronomy.

In none of those instances does Jesus declare that there are no other commandments, nor does Jesus says that the other commandments should not be followed. He simply designates these as the greatest of the commandments.

Peter

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Actually, no matter whether you're reading Mark, Matthew or Luke, Jesus isn't asked to give new commandments, he is asked which the greatest commandment. To which he responds by quoting from the Torah, specifically Leviticus and Deuteronomy.

In none of those instances does Jesus declare that there are no other commandments, nor does Jesus says that the other commandments should not be followed. He simply designates these as the greatest of the commandments.

Peter

After re-reading the passage (Matthew 22: 36-40) I stand corrected. However I feel that following these "greatest commandments" will by design force you into following the others. How do you see it?