• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Additions to the Bible including the Trinity in 1 John 5:7-8?

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
1 John 5:7-8
From NKJV:
For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness on earth: the Spirit, the water, and the blood; and these three agree as one.
From NIV:
For there are three that testify: the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.
From the NIV footnote:
Late manuscripts of the Vulgate testify in heaven: the Father, the Word and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one. 8 And there are three that testify on earth: the (not found in any Greek manuscript before the fourteenth century)
So it seems the Father part and "these three are one" were added later perhaps to give the doctrine of the trinity Biblical support.
BTW my favourite Bible translation is the NIRV and it says things in plain and simple English - though it seems odd in this passage:
There are three that are witnesses about Jesus. They are the Holy Spirit, the birth of Jesus, and the death of Jesus. And the three of them agree.
Other verses relevant to the trinity:
It looks like Matthew 28:19 talks about the three members of the trinity (Father, Son and Holy Spirit)... though I don't think there are any other passages that say that the three persons are one God (though some just say there is one God).

Then there's The Woman Caught in Adultery in John 8:
The NIV says:
[The earliest manuscripts and many other ancient witnesses do not have John 7:53—8:11. A few manuscripts include these verses, wholly or in part, after John 7:36, John 21:25, Luke 21:38 or Luke 24:53.]
It says that in the text - not just in the footnotes. In my NIV 2011 Bible the text is black rather than red which means Jesus might not have said it.

Then there is the end of Mark 16 - the NIV says:
[The earliest manuscripts and some other ancient witnesses do not have verses 9–20.]

Last edited:

walt

Jesus is King & Mighty God Isa.9:6-7; Lk.1:32-33
Do you feel Jesus and the Apostles spoke the words found in the Trinity doctrine?

Did anyone ever say: The Father The Son and the Holy Spirit are one God?

Did anyone ever say three persons were equal to each other?

Did anyone ever say three persons are without beginning?

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
Do you feel Jesus and the Apostles spoke the words found in the Trinity doctrine?

Did anyone ever say: The Father The Son and the Holy Spirit are one God?

Did anyone ever say three persons were equal to each other?

Did anyone ever say three persons are without beginning?
I'm not saying the Trinity has no Biblical support just that there was a passage that was later changed which originally didn't really support the Trinity. Maybe the KJV used the manuscripts that supported the Trinity because it fits Christianity better even though they don't seem to be from the original text.

walt

I'm not saying the Trinity has no Biblical support just that there was a passage that was later changed which originally didn't really support the Trinity.
Are you looking for the truth on the subject of the Trinity, Or does the subject not really matter to you?

walt

I'm not saying the Trinity has no Biblical support just that there was a passage that was later changed which originally didn't really support the Trinity. Maybe the KJV used the manuscripts that supported the Trinity because it fits Christianity better even though they don't seem to be from the original text.
1 John 5:7-8 I know no early Greek manuscripts support this scripture at all.

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
Are you looking for the truth on the subject of the Trinity, Or does the subject not really matter to you?
The topic is about additions/changes to the original texts in the Bible. I believe most of the Bible isn't historical but I believe there is a non-obvious God/intelligent force. BTW I wonder if there is any Old Testament passage that mentions all three members of the Trinity - and remember Chrisitians would believe the Trinity existed forever including in the OT.
1 John 5:7-8 I know no early Greek manuscripts support this scripture at all.
Do you mean that it doesn't mention the Father and being three in one?

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
@walt
I was wondering why there doesn't seem to be any clear support for the three persons in the Trinity in the Old Testament...
The Trinity: 29 Bible Verses & Quotes about the Triune God
only mentions:

1. Isaiah 48:16
“Draw near to me, hear this: from the beginning I have not spoken in secret, from the time it came to be I have been there.” And now the Lord God has sent me, and his Spirit.*

*The Son is speaking but refers to the Father and the Holy Spirit.
From the NIRV
“Come close and listen to me.

“From the first time I said Cyrus was coming,
I did not do it in secret.
When he comes, I will be there.”
The Lord and King has filled me with his Spirit.
People of Israel, he has sent me to you.

12. Genesis 1:2–3
The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.

Though it mentions a few OT passages that say "There is only one God".

walt

servant1

1 John 5:7-8
From NKJV:

From NIV:

From the NIV footnote:

So it seems the Father part and "these three are one" were added later perhaps to give the doctrine of the trinity Biblical support.
BTW my favourite Bible translation is the NIRV and it says things in plain and simple English - though it seems odd in this passage:

Other verses relevant to the trinity:
It looks like Matthew 28:19 talks about the three members of the trinity (Father, Son and Holy Spirit)... though I don't think there are any other passages that say that the three persons are one God (though some just say there is one God).

Then there's The Woman Caught in Adultery in John 8:
The NIV says:

It says that in the text - not just in the footnotes. In my NIV 2011 Bible the text is black rather than red which means Jesus might not have said it.

Then there is the end of Mark 16 - the NIV says:
[The earliest manuscripts and some other ancient witnesses do not have verses 9–20.]
Catholicism translating( Codex Sinacticus( only remaining Greek text) screwed many things up to fit false council teachings and removed Gods name in over 7000 places. There are a very few older fragments but not much.
Your post on 1John is true--The Jehovah witness leaders were allowed into the Catholic archives( 1960,s or early 70,s) they came out with proof= the Water, spirit and blood are the 3 witness bearers. They were never allowed back in for exposing that truth.
Worse yet, Catholicism translating removed Gods name in over 7000 places by satans will to mislead. All using those translations are being mislead badly into not entering Gods kingdom.
Example
Joel 2:31-32--Those who call on the name of YHWH(Jehovah) will be saved--quoted 2 spots in NT-Acts 2:21, Rom 10:13--But since LORD is at Joel in the altered translations its at both NT spots, but Gods name was put at all 3 spots by Gods will. And since Jesus is called Lord at 1 Cor 8:6--ALL using the altered translations think its his name to be called upon. They are wrong.