• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After facing harassment, UU gay teens organize protest

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
http://www.uuworld.org/news/articles/knoxvilleuuteensdemonstrateforrighttoholdhsinpublic5657.shtml

When UU teens Conrad Honicker and his friend Jake Green were harassed in a Knoxville city park earlier this spring for holding hands, they didn’t think it was a big deal. But when they brought this to Spectrum Café, a UU-funded program for bisexual, gay, lesbian, and transgender teens at the Tennessee Valley UU Church in Knoxville, and discovered that they weren’t the only ones, they decided to do something about it.
Read what happened

:jam:

robtex

Veteran Member
I think it is great they got public support for their demonstration instead of a handful of turn outs, however, I wonder who is harrassing and why. Not enough info in that article to explore that though I guess. When I was in high school in the early and mid 80's two boys in houston texas being gay in school wasn't even fathomable. If you were gay you were in the closet or the other kids beat you up. I think the fact that they can hold hands at that age is socially like a huge step for that area too.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
If you were gay you were in the closet or the other kids beat you up. I think the fact that they can hold hands at that age is socially like a huge step for that area too.
We had a recent incident where a group of kids gathered around a gay member of the baseball team in attempt to beat him up, but some of his baseball team mates, who aren't the most pro-gay people in the world, stepped up. It might have been an act of duty more than tolerance, but my heart jumped.

Glad to hear these kids are standing up for what is right. I wonder if they would have the same problem if it were two girls holding hands? :rolleyes:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
GeneCosta said:
We had a recent incident where a group of kids gathered around a gay member of the baseball team in attempt to beat him up, but some of his baseball team mates, who aren't the most pro-gay people in the world, stepped up. It might have been an act of duty more than tolerance, but my heart jumped.
Whatever it was that motivated them, good for them! We're never going to get everyone to be completely confortable about homosexuality. As long as we can get them to see that people deserve to be treated with with respect even when we don't agree with them, that is tolerance.