• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alibaba IPO - you going to buy?

Alibaba IPO - thinking of buying?

• Yes, I will definitely buy even at $70 dollars per on opening IPO or first week

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Yes, I am thinking of buying but not saying firmly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I would LIKE to buy, but I don't have the money

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I will not buy this volatile Chinese company

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
An exciting, though perhaps over hyped, IPO is coming, probably Sept 18, you all know what I am taking about if you are a Capitalist, and a Wall Street type like me.

And that is Alibaba (BABA). The IPO will open Sept 18th per my understanding, only 3 days away, I am already moving money to have it ready in brokerage to buy if I want to jump in. I don't need to give the background on Alibaba because most of you already know.

The opening IPO price id estimated to be between $60 dollars to $66 dollars per share, but excitement is pushing it up. So that is the allowance I am working with to pool funds and be ready. I may buy just a few, or more than a few shares.

But my question to you my fellow Capitalists is, what do you think?
Are you going to buy or considering?

Frankly, I am excited and think this might be a good move even if the initial price will be too high (later to drop, but then come back and rise above the initial price).

Last edited:

Alt Thinker

Older than the hills
Good looking company but this is the kind of thing that too often gets over-speculated. Possible big jump at the beginning and a big profit taking sell off. Could easily drop below IPO price before stabilizing. People are a bit nervous about the markets these days and are torn between short term gains and the specter of a big time 'adjustment'. Lots of people could get burned.

The secret to playing the market is to buy low and sell high. But most people insist on doing the exact opposite. Of course at my age my investments are locked in rock solid no worry types. Luckily I have enough principal base to not be bothered by low yields.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
... price creeping up for the initial IPO. By the way, yes I would plan on holding the stock for 2 years minimum.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I have used Alibaba to find manufacturers to design some of the supplies I sell in my online shops.

However, until they clean up their website and make it more user friendly and easier to find the type of manufacturer one might need, I won't touch their stock.

I don't care that they're popular and supposedly up-and-coming.

I don't like their business model at this time. Their website is worse than horrible.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm into low risk investments these days.
Keep the problem children afloat, & then when they generate cash, pay down loans.
Risk factors for another crash are still looming.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
oh god...

Firstly, Schwab wouldn't allow a straight market order (where you say I want to buy "n" number of shares whatever the price). Only limit orders (where you say the EXACT price per share you will buy)....

No matter what I did, starting at 69 dollars spot price, and working from there I wasn't fast enough.

I ended up with a hit at 90 dollars and 50 cents per, but swinging up to 99 and then down to 89 now it is crashing, I have already lost money.

Update - wait! Now it is 91! Making money!

Buttercup

Veteran Member
oh god...

Firstly, Schwab wouldn't allow a straight market order (where you say I want to buy "n" number of shares whatever the price). Only limit orders (where you say the EXACT price per share you will buy)....

No matter what I did, starting at 69 dollars spot price, and working from there I wasn't fast enough.

I ended up with a hit at 90 dollars and 50 cents per, but swinging up to 99 and then down to 89 now it is crashing, I have already lost money.

Update - wait! Now it is 91! Making money!

Keep us updated, if you will. Holding stock in Chinese companies makes me nervous so if you do well in the long term, I'd like to know. :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Keep us updated, if you will. Holding stock in Chinese companies makes me nervous so if you do well in the long term, I'd like to know. :)
They make me nervous as well since China is a dictatorship and they manipulate economics etc as part of ruling the country.