• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aliens and Religion

Just a little thought experiment:

Let's assume for a second that there are a multitude of other life-bearing planets out there in the universe. That these planets have evolved a species (their biology is irrelevant for the purposes of this question) that has similar intelligence to ours.

Would they have religion? What would that religion look like? Would their reasons for creating those religions be similar to ours?

If this question has been asked already, forgive me, I'm new here.

wel some evolutionary sientist belief we created religion to deal the qeustion "why?" that came with our increase in intelligence

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Would their reasons for creating those religions be similar to ours?

There appears to be an assumption here that 'our' religions are purely a result of human rationale.

It is my understanding that TRUE religion is an expression of the Divine source within to bring about evolutionary 'flowering' of created entities anywhere and everywhere throughout infinite cosmos and throughout all eternity.

Religion IMO is really about realizing "I AM THE ALPHA AND OMEGA" of existence, and hence is not defined by mere intra-planetary sectarian religious rationale and beliefs, nor by inter-planetary, intra-galactic, inter-galactic, etc., ones.

The Omnipresent Truth is within.

eugenius

The Truth Lies Within
I guess it would depend on how advanced that particular civilization is. Maybe they have discovered the secret to all life, or maybe they never developed religion at all or perhaps they are utterly devoted to some crazy religion. Impossible to say. Would it be like ours, well, there would be similarities I'm sure. As most people use, or have used, religion to explain things they don't or cannot understand. I would suspect that would be the common denominator.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Just a little thought experiment:

Let's assume for a second that there are a multitude of other life-bearing planets out there in the universe. That these planets have evolved a species (their biology is irrelevant for the purposes of this question) that has similar intelligence to ours.

Would they have religion? What would that religion look like? Would their reasons for creating those religions be similar to ours?

If this question has been asked already, forgive me, I'm new here.

I guess it would depend on whether, during the development of intelligence, there was enough of an evolutionary advantage to developing the capacity for religious belief that it resulted in the species, as a whole, having this attribute. Much like humans, on this planet.

themadhair

I guess it would depend on whether, during the development of intelligence, there was enough of an evolutionary advantage to developing the capacity for religious belief that it resulted in the species, as a whole, having this attribute. Much like humans, on this planet.
Most evolutionary traits tend to be ‘inefficient’ as it were (evolution is survival of the barely adequate sometimes). It wouldn’t surprise me that the development of intelligence would have the similar inefficiencies as humanity. It may even be necessary for imagination to develop in order for intelligence to also develop.

Total speculation though.