• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

all my water molecules?

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
I wonder out of all the molecules that are inside my body which one has been in there the longest?

Perhaps there are some in there that have been inside me since before I was born?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I wonder out of all the molecules that are inside my body which one has been in there the longest?

Perhaps there are some in there that have been inside me since before I was born?
Of course. Every atom is ageless which is why I take we never die, as nothing is ever
destroyed but rearranges.

That makes our true actual age quite a number!

Personally I'm curious as to what atoms are responsible for our consciousness.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Water is quite a volatile substance and the molecules exchange places constantly. But since there are so many in your body there is a chance that some may be in you since before you were born. I'd put it in the range of the chance that they passed through Nero's urinary tract before.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member

It is possible that you have had some and regained them later. Maybe multiple times.

I don't know of any research that has looked at it, since it doesn't seem to be more than a curiosity.

Water cycles in living things and the environment, which also includes those living things. Given evaporation and elimination, free water doesn't stick around for very long. Chemically bound water probably persists longer, but I'm not a chemist and don't really know.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member

It is an oddly interesting question. A curiosity with no practical value that comes to mind, but still interesting.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Well one has to wonder how our memories, especially much of the mental imagery sort, seem to remain over time, and where so many can last perhaps seven decades or more. The brain doing a great job of new replacing old whilst retaining most of the essential information.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A living organism is pretty active chemically. There's a lot of turnover.
That said,tooth enamel is probably the most metabolically inert substance you'll find in your body.